Steam driven turbine: Heat, Power, evaporation

In summary: The waste heat will provide the energy needed for the liquid to change phase into a gas. The amount of water that can be evaporated in one hour will depend on the amount of waste heat available and the specific heat of water. To find the specific heat of water, you can use the equation Q = mc(delta T), where Q is the amount of heat needed, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat of water, and delta T is the change in temperature from the steam to the boiling point of water.
hootie

Homework Statement

A steam driven turbine generates 200 MW of mechanical power at tan eficiency of 32%. The temperature of the steam at the input is 500 C, and at the output it is 200C

a: How much power is input as heat to run this turbine?

b: How much power is lost in hear to the environment?

c: What is the max ifficiency of any system used to do work with these input and output temps?

d: If the waste hear is used to to evaporate water, how many kilograms of water can be evaporated in one hour?

Homework Equations

a: Qh = work/efficiency = 625MW

b: Qh - Work = 425MW

c: carnot engine: 1-(Tc/Th) = 1-(473/773) = .338

d: Not sure: Q = mc(delta T)

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see a, b, and c are figured out. I'm not sure how to approach d. No temp is given for the water, so I can't get delta T.

Physics news on Phys.org
hootie said:
d: Not sure: Q = mc(delta T)

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see a, b, and c are figured out. I'm not sure how to approach d. No temp is given for the water, so I can't get delta T.

You have the waste heat being used to evaporate the water. So it is changing from a liquid to solid. So that waste heat will provide the latent heat to change the phase.

(you can be more technical and have the latent heat + sensible heat, but as you said, you are not given a temperature so no ΔT - unless you assume an atmospheric temperature)

EDIT:I meant liquid to gas not solid, my bad :redface:

Last edited:
If you are evaporating water, it is changing from a liquid to a gas, not a solid.

1. How does a steam driven turbine work?

A steam driven turbine works by using high pressure steam to turn blades attached to a rotor. The rotor is connected to a shaft, which in turn is connected to a generator. As the blades turn, they generate electricity through the rotation of the rotor.

2. What is the role of heat in a steam driven turbine?

Heat is essential in a steam driven turbine as it is used to create the high pressure steam that is needed to turn the blades. The heat source can vary, but it is typically generated by burning fossil fuels such as coal or natural gas.

3. How does evaporation play a part in a steam driven turbine?

Evaporation is a crucial step in the process of creating the high pressure steam used in a steam driven turbine. Water is heated to its boiling point, causing it to turn into steam. This steam is then directed into the turbine where it expands and turns the blades, creating mechanical energy.

4. What are the main advantages of using a steam driven turbine for power generation?

There are several advantages to using a steam driven turbine for power generation. Firstly, it is a reliable and efficient source of energy that can produce a large amount of electricity. Additionally, it is a relatively clean source of energy, as the emissions from burning fossil fuels can be controlled and reduced. Finally, steam turbines have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance, making them a cost-effective option for power generation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a steam driven turbine?

While steam driven turbines have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. One major limitation is that they require a constant supply of high pressure steam, which can be difficult to maintain and may limit their use in certain areas. Additionally, the burning of fossil fuels can contribute to air pollution and climate change, making it important to consider alternative, cleaner sources of energy.