Stress Testing Airfoil Models

In summary, the lab technician requires solid proof that the airfoil models can withstand speeds of up to 110 mph in the wind tunnel. The suggested method is to use numerical analysis with defined material properties. It is not recommended to test the models using an airplane. Structural analysis is necessary before conducting wind tunnel tests.
waealu
I am currently preparing for a few wind tunnel tests on a NACA 2412 airfoil. The lab technician told me that before I can use the tunnel, I need to provide solid proof that the models will be able to hold up in the wind tunnel (up to speeds of 110 mph (30 psf)).

In the technician's own words, "we need to know, without doubt, the models will not break in our tunnel. Model failure could destroy the facility. Typically we expect to see detailed engineering analysis or realistic proof loading (with a factor of safety) prior to testing."

Does anyone know how I might be able to go about stress testing my models? They are airfoils made of solid plastic (chord length of 6" and span of 24"). So far, the only thing I can come up with is to stick them out of my airplane (when I am going >110 mph) and see if they can withstand the force. However, this doesn't seem like a very professional or accurate way to go about testing these airfoils.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should evaluate the stresses numerically using something like solid works with the material properties defined from the manufacturer.

It's a dubious statement that a model breaking will ruin a facility. That being said, damage can be done that is expensive to fix. Before any wind tunnel testing I have done, structural analysis of the test article was always presented and reviewed.

Like Cyrus said, numerical and theoretical analysis is the way to go.

1. What is stress testing for airfoil models?

Stress testing for airfoil models involves subjecting the model to different levels of stress and measuring its response. This is done to evaluate the structural integrity and performance of the airfoil under various conditions.

2. Why is stress testing important for airfoil models?

Stress testing is important for airfoil models because it helps us understand how the model will perform in real-world conditions. It also allows us to identify potential weaknesses and make necessary improvements before the model is used in practical applications.

3. How is stress testing conducted for airfoil models?

Stress testing for airfoil models can be conducted through various methods such as physical testing in a wind tunnel, computational simulations, or a combination of both. The specific method used will depend on the purpose of the test and available resources.

4. What are the parameters measured during stress testing of airfoil models?

The parameters measured during stress testing of airfoil models include lift and drag forces, bending and torsional moments, structural deflections, and strain levels. These measurements help evaluate the overall performance and structural integrity of the airfoil under different levels of stress.

5. How are the results of stress testing for airfoil models analyzed?

The results of stress testing for airfoil models are analyzed by comparing the measured parameters to the expected values based on design specifications and performance requirements. Any discrepancies are then investigated to determine the cause and necessary actions to improve the design. Advanced data analysis techniques, such as statistical analysis and finite element analysis, may also be used for a more detailed evaluation of the results.