Stressed for Calc 3 & Econ Tests? Tips for Exam Day Anxiety

In summary: A in the class :DIn summary, this person was copying the test and it was easy to tell. The person got marked down for skipping steps and for getting the + and - signs wrong.
ineedhelpnow
i have a calc 3 test on monday and i don't know why but I AM TERRIFIED. probably because i have an exam for econ the same day. any exam or pre-exam tips? how not to be afraid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to do all the problems that terrify you, and if you don't get them, post them here :D Maybe try to find some past exams and do them
Econ is not important, study for calculus (Giggle)

its not the problems that terrify. its the knowing i have a test on them part. i feel like I am good with the material but have this feeling I am going to forget it all by the test no matter how many times i study. he doesn't give a formula sheet so we have to know everything and I am really bad at this one lesson and wow i just typed this whole thing without breathing once. I am already so nervous.

- - - Updated - - -

im more confident about calc than econ though...

Learn to relax through meditation or yoga.
Also, in between each answer to exam questions take a few deep and relaxing breaths. These micropauses pay off in the end because the stress is released during these micropauses for relaxing deep breaths. Train this a few times at home and you'll see the benefits.

Good luck!

ineedhelpnow said:
its not the problems that terrify. its the knowing i have a test on them part. i feel like I am good with the material but have this feeling I am going to forget it all by the test no matter how many times i study. he doesn't give a formula sheet so we have to know everything and I am really bad at this one lesson and wow i just typed this whole thing without breathing once. I am already so nervous.

- - - Updated - - -

im more confident about calc than econ though...

Just practice the problems. I am not sure what you mean by study. Does that mean reading the problems or answers or recreating solutions from the actually problem. If you are just reading them, it won't sink in as much if you start with the problem and obtain the answer by hand.

thanks Modus! i don't think yogas my thing but ill definitely try the taking breaths part :eek:

@dwsmith i mean like working on the problems and becoming familiar with them and the material.

This might sound stupid, but just before the exam go to a washroom and run cold water over your hands for a bit. A small bottle of orange juice helps too.

I don't know why these help you relax but it works great for me!

-Dan

ineedhelpnow said:
thanks Modus! i don't think yogas my thing but ill definitely try the taking breaths part :eek:

Sure. What I'm trying to say is that if you have problems with stress in exams (as I did a lot), you have to learn how to manage it. The emotional state you're in, during the exam, can make the difference between passing and failing. Or even between having an A or having a C+.

The best way to do this is to simulate exams at home and use different strategies for stress relief that you can also use when taking the test/exam.

Deep breaths work for me. Realizing that I already have the right answer helps me not to accumulate stress when I'm just pouring things from my mind to the paper. Meditating before the exam, but when I am still relaxed enough to do it properly, also works very well.

Some of these may not be the best for you. Try discovering other things that work for you. :)

Thanks for the advice modus!
Dan, I will definitely try the orange juice thing. It might help...or coffee instead hehehehe

ok guys i got something else

-never sit next to a person who always tries to copy your answers otherwise youll be too occupied covering your exam than focusing on it.

ineedhelpnow said:
ok guys i got something else

-never sit next to a person who always tries to copy your answers otherwise youll be too occupied covering your exam than focusing on it.
Work out all the problems, but write down wrong answers. Then let the other guy/girl copy to his/her heart's content and leave early. After he/she is gone then fill in the right answers.

Yes, I'm evil.

-Dan

lol once in my trig class this guy next to me was copying my test and he made it like sooo obvious. he kept looking over but i was blocking my paper. so he couldn't see the steps or the answers probably. when we got our test back i took a look at his and he got marked down points for skipping steps and because he got the + and - signs wrong. i was like yeah because you couldn't see my test properly :p

math test down. econ test tomorrow. what would you guys recommend for someone who falls asleep every time she tries to study for econ? (Blush)

ineedhelpnow said:
math test down. econ test tomorrow. what would you guys recommend for someone who falls asleep every time she tries to study for econ? (Blush)
Sleep. You'll do better by getting rest than you will by trying to stay up all night and doing the test half asleep.

-Dan

lol not just at night though. yesterday and earlier today i was studying for econ (in the afternoon) and i just couldn't hold myself and i fell straight to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

i think i will just...go through the powerpoint slides and homework (Nod) yep that's what ima do

Last edited:
ineedhelpnow said:
lol not just at night though. yesterday and earlier today i was studying for econ (in the afternoon) and i just couldn't hold myself and i fell straight to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

i think i will just...go through the powerpoint slides and homework (Nod) yep that's what ima do

When I was learning how to meditate I asked a question on a forum about a similar problem. I kept falling asleep in the middle of the meditation. I asked her how I could stop doing that and she told me to get some good sleep until you could stay at it. The problem wasn't that I was doing something wrong, it's just that I was sleep deprived.

-Dan

topsquark said:
When I was learning how to meditate I asked a question on a forum about a similar problem. I kept falling asleep in the middle of the meditation. I asked her how I could stop doing that and she told me to get some good sleep until you could stay at it. The problem wasn't that I was doing something wrong, it's just that I was sleep deprived.
is econ like mediation :confused: ? if it were like a calc test or something i would be totally into it and have no trouble but for this I am like (Yawn) (Yawn) (Yawn) (Yawn) (Yawn) u know

1. How can I manage my stress during exams?

One way to manage stress during exams is to make sure you are well-prepared. This includes studying consistently throughout the semester, practicing with past exams, and seeking help from classmates or professors if needed. It is also important to take breaks, get enough sleep, and practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation.

2. How can I stay focused during exams?

To stay focused during exams, it is important to eliminate distractions and create a conducive study environment. This may include finding a quiet place to study, turning off your phone, and using study aids such as flashcards or study guides. It is also helpful to set specific goals and deadlines for studying, and to take short breaks to refresh your mind.

3. What are some study tips for preparing for Calc 3 and Econ exams?

Some study tips for preparing for Calc 3 and Econ exams include reviewing class notes and materials regularly, practicing with sample problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors if needed. It is also important to understand the key concepts and formulas, rather than just memorizing them, and to study in a group or with a study partner to reinforce understanding.

4. How can I combat test anxiety on exam day?

To combat test anxiety on exam day, it is important to arrive early and be well-prepared. This may include reviewing key concepts and formulas one last time, eating a healthy breakfast, and getting enough rest the night before. During the exam, take deep breaths and try to stay calm and focused. If you feel overwhelmed, take a short break and then return to the exam.

5. What should I do if I feel stuck on a question during the exam?

If you feel stuck on a question during the exam, it is important to stay calm and not panic. Take a deep breath and move on to the next question. You can always come back to the difficult question later. If you are still unsure, use the process of elimination to narrow down your choices and make an educated guess. It is also helpful to show your work and explain your thought process to potentially earn partial credit.