Student loans for an EE major question

In summary: Fill out a FASFA. Consider getting a roommate to make living expenses easier. Don't be afraid of taking an extra year to graduate if it means avoiding excessive debt. In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for advice on financing their living expenses while attending college. They are considering taking out a loan, but are unsure about the process and how it will affect their graduation timeline. The person giving advice suggests talking to the financial aid department, filling out a FASFA, and possibly getting a roommate to make expenses easier. They also mention not being afraid to take an extra year to graduate if it means avoiding excessive debt.
jaydnul
Hey guys, so my parents just recently decided that i need to move out. Now they originally said that they would take care of all my tuition fees as long as i paid for my living expenses. I was told by my adviser that it really wasn't a good idea if i worked more than 10 hours a week in order to finish my degree on time. I am technically starting my 2nd year this coming spring semester. Since i don't know much about student loans, solely because i haven't had to take any out thus far, could i get a loan from my school that would pay for 3 years of living expenses? i know it depends on the school, and i plan on talking to someone in the next couple days, but from your personal experiences? Does it help that i don't have to pay tuition costs? thanks a ton guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you seem so eager for an answer!

I won't answer! Just joking. First, your advisor who tells you that you should not work more than 10 hour a week in order to finish your degree is steering you slightly astray. If the choice is between one extra year in college or a loan (debt) then why wouldn't you spend that extra year in college? Graduating in 5 years vs 4 isn't so uncommon that someone will look down on you for it! Heck, learning to work in order to support yourself while getting an education will probably be a good life experience.

Is it easy? No. After my time in the military, I went to school full time, worked, and had to support a wife and baby. I had the added benefit of 1,000 dollars a month for 9 months of the year for living expenses and my tutition was covered by the GI Bill.

All this can be made easier if you get a roommate too!

Last edited:
I would speak to the financial aid department at your school to see about getting grants and loans. Usually, you would need to complete a FASFA (or FAFSA?) to do so. But I think since it's December, you might have to wait and register for it in January-February of next year to be funded for summer and fall 2013. But this could be different in your case. Before you fill out anything: make sure it's .gov and not .com,.net .

To summarize: Talk to you financial aid department.

What is an EE major?

An EE major is someone who studies electrical engineering, which is a field that focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical systems and devices.

Do EE majors have to take out student loans?

It depends on the individual's financial situation and the cost of their education. Some EE majors may be able to fund their education through scholarships, grants, or personal funds, while others may need to take out student loans.

What types of student loans are available for EE majors?

EE majors may be eligible for federal student loans, such as Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans, as well as private student loans from banks or other lenders. It is important to research and compare the interest rates and terms of different loans before making a decision.

Are there any special loan programs for EE majors?

Some universities and organizations offer loan forgiveness programs for students who pursue careers in fields such as electrical engineering. These programs may forgive a portion of the borrower's loans in exchange for working in a designated field or location for a certain amount of time.

How can I manage my student loans as an EE major?

It is important to keep track of your loans and make timely payments. You may also want to consider refinancing your loans to potentially lower your interest rate or adjust your repayment plan. It is also helpful to budget and prioritize your expenses to ensure you can make your loan payments on time.