Study Tips: Ace Your Exams & Keep Good Notes

In summary, the conversation discusses tips for studying and doing well on tests and exams, specifically for math courses. Some tips include making sure to understand and practice every type of problem, getting enough sleep and eating breakfast, writing down all information during lectures, reading the textbook, doing all homework assignments and reviewing them before the test, and being familiar with the material beforehand. The conversation also touches on the idea that exams may not accurately reflect one's understanding of the material and that failure can still lead to learning.
Roxy
I’m looking for tips, tips on studying, keeping good notes and anything that will help me do well on test/exams

Physics news on Phys.org
For math tests...

1. Make sure you can do every homework problem and understand it. If not every problem then almost every single one. Sometimes there are one or two problems that are extra difficult and you won't understand and it's ok to not do them if time is an issue. Basically make sure you can do every type of problem. And don't just say to yourself, hey I can do that problem or type of problem, actually DO the problem.
2. Get plenty of sleep
3. Eat breakfast

For studying and note taking

1. Write everything down, even if you don't understand it. Later when you are studying come back and look it over and try to understand it. Also make sure to write everything down even if you DO understand it. Lots of professors emphasize the important stuff that will be on exams in class. So make sure you write everything down no matter how silly or no matter how incomprehensible it may be!

2. Read the book. This one is easier said than done. Sometimes reading the book seems redundant because the material is repeated. But when you actually sit down and read a book you get a better picture for the concepts and methods and I find that the material "stays with you" for a long time, even after you take the course. For example when I took calculus 2 I only read the book when we did series, and amazingly enough that is what I know best about calculus 2, all the series stuff we did. So read the book!

3. Do all the homework assignments, and the day before the test do as many as possible. Just sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and do all the problems.

This is how I study, I manage to do extremely well in my math courses, usually 100's on most exams, and all A's in my courses. I feel that not everyone studies like this, otherwise they would all get A's also. It works, goodluck, and sorry for the double post, i think i said the same thing twice, time to put down the coffee lol.

Last edited:
I find that I get a whole lot more out of lectures if I am already familar with the material ahead of time. For math classes I like to read through the chapter, work the example problems and then try a few problems at the back of the chapter. Even if I don't understand everything in the book and or can't do any of the problems, I'll at least know what I need to pay closer attention to in class.

1 - Sleep 7-8 hours a day!

2 - Eat a good breakfast. (Orange Juice or Milk with a nice snack.)

3 - Pay attention in classes.

When exams come, relax and go over a bit of everything and redo the areas you aren't so brilliant in.

Regarding exams, there's a lot I and others already posted in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=60370

For note taking, kdinser's suggestion of familiarizing yourself with the material ahead of the class is a good one. Skim the chapter quickly before going to lecture, and then read it more thoroughly after the lecture. Paying attention to the lecture is more important than scribbling down every detail without processing it. If you've skimmed the chapter ahead, you'll know what information you can skip writing and can just look up later, like definitions of terms. Too many students are so busy trying to frantically write down every word the lecturer says that they don't listen to understand, and find their notes then don't make any sense to them later. If you are worried about missing important details, tape the lecture to get those details later.

The good thing about paying attention is you'll quickly pick up on what was emphasized or repeated a few times, and that's very likely to show up on the exam. Leave large margins in your notebooks and try to take notes in an outline format to keep the organization of the lecture. Use the margins later to clarify details you look up or write questions you think of.

Hey also remember Roxy that if you study and this applies to anyone and everyone
That if you fail and you studied hard you still learned something and tests are just tests they are just so arbatritry and imho pointless
just my $0.02

stjimmy said:
Hey also remember Roxy that if you study and this applies to anyone and everyone
That if you fail and you studied hard you still learned something and tests are just tests they are just so arbatritry and imho pointless
just my $0.02

I totally agree.

Galois is famous for failing famous entrance exams. The funny part is... he knew more than the examiner.

Related to Study Tips: Ace Your Exams & Keep Good Notes

What are some effective study tips for acing exams and keeping good notes?

1. Develop a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and on track with your studies.

2. Take thorough and organized notes during lectures. This will make studying and reviewing material easier.

3. Use active studying techniques such as summarizing, creating flashcards, and teaching the material to someone else.

4. Get enough rest and exercise regularly. This will help you stay focused and retain information better.

5. Seek help from your professors or classmates if you are struggling with a particular subject. They may have valuable insights and tips to help you understand the material better.