Stunning 2017 Eclipse Photos of the Corona Chromosphere

In summary: That is correct!In summary, I saw a photo of the shadow banding on the surface of a parking lot in Virginia. This is an effect caused by solar prominences. I also saw the star Regulus in the shot.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
corona
009.JPG

chromosphere
004.JPG

Likes tony873004, 1oldman2, Drakkith and 9 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I wasn't anywhere near totality, but I would like to see photos of the shadow banding - if anyone has some of those.

101_0015.JPG
101_0016.JPG
101_0017.JPG
101_0018.JPG
101_0019.JPG
101_0006.JPG
101_0009.JPG
101_0012.JPG
101_0011.JPG
101_0013.JPG
101_0026.JPG
101_0028.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
I would love to have some help finding a photoshop like program to help me doctor up the pics a bit. If anyone could suggest any to me it would be wonderful.

Likes tony873004, 1oldman2, DennisN and 2 others
I was in Carbondale, Ill if anyone was wondering.:partytime:

hsdrop said:
I would love to have some help finding a photoshop like program to help me doctor up the pics a bit. If anyone could suggest any to me it would be wonderful.
https://www.gimp.org/

Likes hsdrop
From Manning, SC

b - Eclipse Begins - Aug 25, 2017.jpg

d - Two minutes to Totality - Aug 21, 2017.jpg

f - Total Eclipse, Manning SC - Aug 21, 2017.jpg

h - Total Eclipse plus 5 seconds - Manning, SC - Aug 21, 2017.jpg

Likes Nucleus _Basalis, hsdrop, tony873004 and 9 others
My 360 Video:

Likes Comeback City, 1oldman2, Drakkith and 4 others
Keep posting your photos! I'd love to select about a dozen of the best and put them in an Insight!

Likes hsdrop
tony873004 said:
My 360 Video:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give your video a 1000 rating.

:oldlove:

Likes tony873004
.Scott said:
I wasn't anywhere near totality, but I would like to see photos of the shadow banding - if anyone has some of those.

I found one image:

shadow.handing.jpg

Oh. Wait. Did you say banding? And not "handing"?

My bad.

Likes 1oldman2, DennisN and Stavros Kiri
OmCheeto said:
I found one image:

Oh. Wait. Did you say banding? And not "handing"?

My bad.
In my experience, you would need a much larger area than the sheet they are using.
I saw it on the surface of a parking lot in Virginia a few decades ago.

Best/worst pun of the eclipse I've seen so far:

totalitea.jpg

Totalitea. (It took me a minute. I'm old. And my brain doesn't think that fast anymore.)

Likes Stavros Kiri, hsdrop, 1oldman2 and 2 others
A couple of points of interest in the photo I got. The colored dots on the edge of the disk are caused by solar prominences. ( I didn't realize this until I saw some higher res photos that showed them clearer in those positions.
I also caught the star Regulus in the shot. it is the white dot in the lower left of the image.
eclipse total.jpg

Likes tony873004, 1oldman2, Drakkith and 3 others
Janus said:
A couple of points of interest in the photo I got. The colored dots on the edge of the disk are caused by solar prominences. ( I didn't realize this until I saw some higher res photos that showed them clearer in those positions.
I also caught the star Regulus in the shot. it is the white dot in the lower left of the image.
View attachment 209606

I also caught Regulus.

Though, I thought I should edit the photo, as it's a bit difficult to find.

Regulus.2017.08.21.1022.am.pdt.png

Likes tony873004
RD02788w.jpg

About 10:18am Monday August 21, 2017 from Riverfront Park within a large crowd in Salem, Oregon at the totality exit stage.
Sony SEL55210 zoom at 210mm on A6000 , Aperture Priority, F14, Exposure Compensation -3, ISO 200, 1/5 second, Spot Auto Focus on sun/moon edge, on tripod. Cropped to 3500x4600 pixels though not tack sharp.

Not a very serious image on my part as I don't have specialized astronomy gear. After watching eclipse totality, at end decided to try to get a single token shot during the diamond ring phase. Without much time to monkey with my camera controls I changed the Exposure Compensation from -1 where it had been prior to totality while taking crowd photos down to -3 hoping that might be about right. Was very lucky with that as histogram shows just a bit of the diamond clipping. Although I pushed my Infrared Remote Shutter just as the sun re-appeared, there is a delay so I got a larger diamond than intended but maybe that worked out for the better as it caused more rays across the face of the dark moon enhancing its graphic. Although nicely sunny clear skies, that west central Oregon region has marine air with considerable water vapor that I'd expect contributes to more atmospheric scattering rays beyond the suns own corona light. Note other post identifies the star lower left of the sun. There is also something with a blue streak at frame bottom left corner that I also saw on another photo from the Salem area? Notice the prismic colors radiating between ray bands both above and below the diamond axis? Is that also something due to polarized light from the diamond being affected by water vapor? Certainly adds a nice effect. What about the slight halo around the moon edge, is that chromatic aberation or real? On the upper left quadrant that is yellow while at lower right is blue. Below is a 100% pixels crop.

RD02788w-cr.jpg

David

Last edited:
Likes hsdrop, tony873004, 1oldman2 and 5 others
300mm f/8 400ISO post processed in Lightroom 6

Eclipse2017bw.jpg

Likes hsdrop, tony873004, davenn and 5 others
Janus said:
The colored dots on the edge of the disk are caused by solar prominences.
Due to the moon's craters? (The moon surface is not perfect round etc.)

Stavros Kiri said:
Due to the moon's craters? (The moon surface is not perfect round etc.)
No, due to eruptions on the surface of the Sun like this:
the-sublime-storm-on-the-surface-of-the-sun-1-25755-1361462120-3_big.jpg

Likes 1oldman2 and hsdrop
Janus said:
View attachment 209626
Isn't that kind of rare? NASA on the live streaming mentioned the explanation that I quoted. I am not sure which one is true.
[Specifically, there was a lady from NASA saying that ~"the orange/purple colour effects on the edge of the sun is just sun light escaping though the imperfections of the moon (small bites, you can see), e.g. craters etc., because the moon surface is not a perfect round ..."]
But what is definitely true is that big flares are kind of rare (not a common everyday thing). Are small eruptions visible during the eclipse, e.g. with your instrument set up? I am not sure, but I kind of doubt that.

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
Isn't that kind of rare? NASA on the live streaming mentioned the explanation that I quoted. I am not sure which one is true.
[Specifically, there was a lady from NASA saying that ~"the orange/purple colour effects on the edge of the sun is just sun light escaping though the imperfections of the moon (small bites, you can see), e.g. craters etc., because the moon surface is not a perfect round ..."]
But what is definitely true is that big flares are kind of rare (not a common everyday thing). Are small eruptions visible during the eclipse, e.g. with your instrument set up? I am not sure, but I kind of doubt that.
I wouldn't have been sure myself but my wife came across a photo taken of this eclipse that showed the prominences like this one does from a different eclipse.
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8889861/Solar_eclipse_1999_4_NR.jpg
and they were positioned exactly where the colored spots are in my photo.

Janus said:
and they were positioned exactly where the colored spots are in my photo.
But eruptions cannot be in the same places since 1999, while moon craters can. I think on the contrary that supports NASA's interpretation, with which I tend to agree myself. You can actually see the openings of the craters as small bites under the colored spots. Now that I recall they also said on the broadcast that "it's an optical tricking of light escaping through the craters, and no sun activity!", because, "other than the two spot groups" (AR2671, AR2672), "there is nothing else significant on the sun right now" [/then]. [i.e. no solar flares - the last one was Sun Aug. 20]

See also:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solar-activity-and-space-weather-update-thread.923468/

Stavros Kiri said:
But eruptions cannot be in the same places since 1999, while moon craters can. I think on the contrary that supports NASA's interpretation, with which I tend to agree myself. You can actually see the openings of the craters as small bites under the colored spots. Now that I recall they also said on the broadcast that "it's an optical tricking of light escaping through the craters, and no sun activity!", because, "other than the two spot groups" (AR2671, AR2672), "there is nothing else significant on the sun right now" [/then]. [i.e. no solar flares - the last one was Sun Aug. 20]

See also:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solar-activity-and-space-weather-update-thread.923468/
The photo I linked to was from a different eclipse. I was just using it to illustrate what the prominences looked like in the photo my wife found of this eclipse, where the positions of the prominences matched those of the spots on my photo. Besides, solar prominences are not the same thing as solar flares.
In addition, this photo and the I took prior to it were taken at the beginning of totality, where the the Sun peaking through craters would have been on the other side of the moon. Further, in both photos I took, the spots look identical. If they had been caused by light through craters, they would have changed even in the little time between the two exposures or showed up in one and not the other.. Prominences, on the other hand, can last for months.

Likes davenn and OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Best/worst pun of the eclipse I've seen so far:

View attachment 209605

Totalitea. (It took me a minute. I'm old. And my brain doesn't think that fast anymore.)

I thought it would have been teatality

Likes Stavros Kiri
Janus said:

correct

and like this...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=solar+prominences&FORM=HDRSC2

Stavros Kiri said:
Isn't that kind of rare?

NO, they are happening all the time ... you just have a gap and misunderstanding :wink:
no bit hassle ... easily solved

Stavros Kiri said:
NASA on the live streaming mentioned the explanation that I quoted. I am not sure which one is true.

That occurs ... its called Bailey's Beads ...

Bailys_Beads_02.jpg

here's baileys beads AND prominences ...

baileysbeads2.jpg

Baileys Beads are ALWAYS white ( bright)
Prominences are ALWAYS red to orangeDave

Likes 1oldman2 and Stavros Kiri
Stavros Kiri said:
But what is definitely true is that big flares are kind of rare (not a common everyday thing).

another misunderstanding ... Flares and Prominences are two different animals

Flares can cause prominences BUT prominences are occurring on their own ALL the time

Dave

Stavros Kiri said:
I think on the contrary that supports NASA's interpretation, with which I tend to agree myself. You can actually see the openings of the craters as small bites under the colored spots. Now that I recall they also said on the broadcast that "it's an optical tricking of light escaping through the craters, and no sun activity!",

Again you are misunderstanding the NASA explanations with which there is no problem with, see my earlier posts

Janus said:
The photo I linked to was from a different eclipse.
Back in 1999
Janus said:
where the positions of the prominences matched those of the spots on my photo.
That's the problem! They haven't changed since 1999? Whereas most craters haven't ...
Janus said:
Besides, solar prominences are not the same thing as solar flares.
I am aware of that. But solar activity reports included none of those during or after the eclipse. (There could be some small prominences though, but I think that what you saw was due to the craters of the moon, and NASA seems to agree. However I am researching this further. [That lady, representative of NASA, could still be wrong. And they look like prominences, I agree. That was my first impression too. I hope we'll find out, to be sure.])
(We also have to keep in mind that as we are heading towards solar minimum, the solar activity is limitted and is winding down.)

Janus said:
where the the Sun peaking through craters would have been on the other side of the moon.
I am not sure if I know what you mean here. In any case the moon's shape and craters definitelly remains unchanged during all phases of totality. Sun's light passing through the craters though can vary, probably causing that effect.
Janus said:
Prominences, on the other hand, can last for months.
But not since your wife's photo back in 1999! It's probably due to craters (most of the fire glows that you captured in both cases (other people did too); it's more logical). There may have been some small prominences too though, but I can't say unless I research this further and look at official reports.

Stavros Kiri said:
But solar activity reports included none of those during or after the eclipse.

there were prominences visible during the eclipse, many people photo'ed them

It is difficult, due to the longer exposure of Janus's pic, whether he really caught prominences.
needs a much shorter exposure to see them clearly as they are totally overridden by the brightness of the corona
I personally wouldn't be quick to say an absolute yes to them being that
Stavros Kiri said:
(There could be some small prominences though, but I think that what you saw was due to the craters of the moon, and NASA seems to agree. However I am researching this further. [That lady, representative of NASA, could still be wrong. And they look like prominences, I agree. That was my first impression too. I hope we'll find out, to be sure.])

I have given you a response to that ... NASA wasn't wrong :smile:

Stavros Kiri said:
I am not sure if I know what you mean here. In any case the moon's shape and craters definitelly remains unchanged during all phases of totality.

but not between different eclipses
Stavros Kiri said:
(We also have to keep in mind that as we are heading towards solar minimum, the solar activity is limitted and is winding down.)

yes, but that doesn't slow down prominence activity to any great extent, just the number of sunspots and flares

Dave

Likes Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
That occurs ... its called Bailey's Beads ...
(etc.) All your replies helped. Thanks Dave. We are sorting things out. I tend to conclude that it was a combination of the two effects. Otherwise how can photos from the 1999 eclipse can have the same fire spots, if they were all prominences? That would have been a heck of a coincidence! ...
But in identifying the two effects (prominences and Bailey's Beads) and telling them appart, the instruments' resolution, focussing and exposure time etc. play a role, I think, as you also implied, etc.

Finally, regarding
davenn said:
but not between different eclipses
I think major crates of the moon remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
Otherwise how can photos from the 1999 eclipse can have the same fire spots, if they were all prominences? That would have been a heck of a coincidence! ...

indeed ... and it would also be a heck of a coincidence if they were the same gaps between mountain ridges as well hahaha :smile:

the moon is not fixed in its view from Earth ... google lunar libration which describes how the moon oscillates back and forward
and continually gives us more or less views of what is "over the horizon" of the moon
'

Dave

I can't find the NASA video link you were referring to
can you please repost

I would be surprised if they were referring to craters causing baileys beads rather than valleys between mountains

davenn said:
indeed ... and it would also be a heck of a coincidence if they were the same gaps between mountain ridges as well hahaha :smile:

the moon is not fixed in its view from Earth ... google lunar libration which describes how the moon oscillates back and forward
and continually gives us more or less views of what is "over the horizon" of the moon
'

Dave
I know about lunar libration. But they were both annular eclipses and they always happen on the first day new moon phase. That limits down the phenomenon. That was probably the case (between 1999 and now) which is not a big coincidence (for the fire glow spots).
Also
Stavros Kiri said:
I think major crates of the moon remain unchanged.

davenn said:
I can't find the NASA video link you were referring to
can you please repost

I would be surprised if they were referring to craters causing baileys beads rather than valleys between mountains
It was NASA's live stream (long) for the eclipse from NASA TV. I haven't looked for it in youtube etc. yet. For the original links see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-17#post-5825887

She said ~"imperfections to the surface of the moon, such as craters etc." (covers what you say too) + ... "the moon's surface is not a perfect sphere" ... so she was being kind of general.
But you're right.

Likes davenn