Stupid Buoyancy, this is getting ridiculous.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a buoyancy problem involving a hollow sphere floating in a liquid and finding its mass and density. After some trial and error, it is discovered that the outer radius of the sphere should be used to calculate the volume of the displaced liquid, and that the volume of the sphere material can be found by subtracting the inner radius from the outer radius. The correct formula for finding the mass is also clarified.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Stupid Buoyancy, this is getting ridiculous.

A hollow sphere of inner readius 8cm and outer radius 9cm floats half submerged in a liquid of density 800kg/m^3. What is the mass of the sphere and the density of the material it is made from.

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow mg-F_b=0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow m=\rho*\frac{V_s}{2}[/tex]

Now for the Volume do I use [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^2[/tex]
or

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi (r_2^2-r_1^2)[/tex] ?

I thought it would just be the outer radius that was important here. But I have tried BOTH ways and both come out wrong...so I am messing something else here...are there only 2 Forces here?

The answer for mass should be 1.2 kg

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
The sphere displaces liquid equal to half its volume. You want to take the outer radius to work this out. Now the weight of this displaced liquid is equal to the magnitude of the upthrust supporting the sphere. This means that the weight of the sphere is equal to that of the displaced water. Therefore all you have to do is find the volume of the sphere material and you should be able to find the density. Remember the whole sphere isn't made of that material just a shell.

Kurdt said:
The sphere displaces liquid equal to half its volume. You want to take the outer radius to work this out. Now the weight of this displaced liquid is equal to the magnitude of the upthrust supporting the sphere. This means that the weight of the sphere is equal to that of the displaced water. Therefore all you have to do is find the volume of the sphere material and you should be able to find the density. Remember the whole sphere isn't made of that material just a shell.

So shouldn't it just be [tex] m=\rho_l*V=800*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{4\pi}{3}*(.09)^2[/tex]

To elaborate more to find the mass of the displaced liquid the volume you want to be using is,

[tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r_1^3 [/tex]

then the volume of the sphere material will be given by,

[tex] V=\frac{4}{3} \pi (r_1^3-r_2^3)[/tex]

where [itex]r_1=9cm[/itex] and [itex] r_2=8cm[/itex].

Saladsamurai said:
So shouldn't it just be [tex] m=\rho_l*V=800*\frac{1}{2}*\frac{4\pi}{3}*(.09)^2[/tex]

Yes that's correct for the mass of the sphere. If you plug the numbers in you should get the 1.2Kg you are looking for.

Kurdt said:
Yes that's correct for the mass of the sphere. If you plug the numbers in you should get the 1.2Kg you are looking for.

But I don't. I get 13.57.:confused:

Casey

Oh right just noticed that you're squaring the radius instead of cubing. Amazing how you see what you think you're going to see. Silly me.

Kurdt said:
Oh right just noticed that you're squaring the radius instead of cubing. Amazing how you see what you think you're going to see. Silly me.

:smile: Very true! I think that every mistake that I have made for the last two semesters has been of this nature! What a jerk! I am going to make my avatar a dunce cap!

Thanks Kurdt!
Casey

Hey no problem. Everyone on this site has made a similar mistake, I guarantee it.

Related to Stupid Buoyancy, this is getting ridiculous.

1. What is "Stupid Buoyancy, this is getting ridiculous."?

"Stupid Buoyancy, this is getting ridiculous." is a phrase often used to express frustration with the concept of buoyancy, which is the upward force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object.

2. Why is buoyancy considered "stupid"?

Buoyancy can be considered "stupid" because it can be difficult to understand and predict, especially in complex situations. It can also be frustrating when trying to design or navigate objects in a fluid environment.

3. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of an object submerged in a fluid. This pressure difference results in an upward force that counteracts the weight of the object, allowing it to float.

4. Why is it important to understand buoyancy?

Understanding buoyancy is important in fields such as engineering, marine biology, and oceanography. It also plays a crucial role in activities like swimming, boating, and scuba diving.

5. What are some real-life examples of buoyancy?

Some real-life examples of buoyancy include boats floating on water, balloons floating in the air, and fish swimming in the ocean. It also explains why objects made of different materials (such as a wooden ship and an iron anchor) have different levels of buoyancy.