Suggestions for PhD in Quantum Gravity?

In summary, the speaker is an international student studying theoretical physics in the UK and is considering applying to US graduate programs in high energy gravitational theories, specifically black hole thermodynamics. They mention two potential schools, UCSB and UMD, but are concerned about their GRE scores and lack of research experience. They ask if there are any less competitive schools with similar research areas, such as the University of Texas at Austin. The speaker also provides links to UT Austin's physics department and recent articles on their black hole research.
throneoo
I'm an international student currently at the end of my penultimate year in Msci Theoretical Physics in UK and am considering applying to US graduate programs that do high energy gravitational theories, in particular black hole thermodynamics.

Both UCSB and UMD seem to be good choices. However, I screwed up my GRE general exam and is a few percentiles behind for both quantitative reasoning and analytical writing to be considered "competitive" in UCSB standards. I haven't sit for the Physics GRE yet, and I don't have much research experience (which is hard to come by in UK). The only thing I have is fairly strong grades. So I wouldn't expect to be a competitive candidate overall.

Is there any school out there in US (or anywhere else) that has similar research areas but is considered less competitive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes throneoo

Related to Suggestions for PhD in Quantum Gravity?

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It seeks to describe the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, at a quantum level.

2. What are some potential PhD topics in quantum gravity?

Some possible PhD topics in quantum gravity include investigating the effects of quantum gravity on the early universe, exploring the role of entanglement in quantum gravity, or analyzing the possibility of testing quantum gravity through gravitational wave observations.

3. What background knowledge is necessary for a PhD in quantum gravity?

A strong background in theoretical physics and mathematics is essential for a PhD in quantum gravity. Familiarity with quantum mechanics, general relativity, and particle physics is also necessary.

4. How does quantum gravity differ from other theories of gravity?

Quantum gravity differs from other theories of gravity, such as general relativity, in that it incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics. It also seeks to explain the nature of space and time at a fundamental level.

5. Is quantum gravity a well-established theory?

No, quantum gravity is still a developing and highly theoretical field of study. While there are several competing theories, there is currently no widely accepted framework for quantum gravity.