Taylor Series Remainder Theorem

In summary, to prove that the MacLaurin series for cosx converges to cosx for all x, we first show that |Rn(x)| is bounded by a convergent geometric series with a common ratio of |x|, and then use the property that if the limit of |Rn| is equal to 0, then the function is equal to its Taylor series within the interval of convergence. This method ensures that we are not assuming the function is equal to its Taylor series and avoids any potential errors.
stupidmonkey
1. Prove that the MacLaurin series for cosx converges to cosx for all x.

Homework Equations

Ʃ(n=0 to infinity) ((-1)^n)(x^2n)/((2n)!) is the MacLaurin series for cosx
|Rn(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex]M*(|x|^(n+1))/((n+1)!) if |f^(n+1)(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex]M
lim(n->infinity)Rn=0 then a function is equal to its Taylor series within the interval of convergence.

3. The Attempt at a Solution . I already know what the solution is but I can't figure out why we are using this solution.
First you get: |f^(n+1)(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex]1 because |cosx| and |sinx| functions are always bounded by 1
Then you write |Rn(x)|[itex]\leq[/itex](|x|^(n+1))/((n+1)!)
lim as n->infinity of (|x|^(n+1))/((n+1)!)=0, therefore lim as n-> infinity of |Rn|=0 so the MacLaurin series of cosx converges to cosx for all x.
My question
Why don't we just write Rn = [itex]\Sigma[/itex] from (i=n+1 to infinity) ((-1)^i)*(x^2i)/((2i)!) and we can see from this that the limit as n->infinity makes Rn go to zero, therefore cosx converges to cosx? Why did we have to go through all of that other stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write that the remainder is equal to the terms that you didn't sum up yet, then you're assuming that the infinite series is equal to cos(x) in the first place.

There are functions where the Taylor series converges, but does not converge to the function, so you can't assume that the function is equal to the Taylor series and just calculate the interval of convergence

Related to Taylor Series Remainder Theorem

What is the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem?

The Taylor Series Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to approximate a function using a polynomial. It states that the difference between the value of a function and its Taylor polynomial approximation is equal to the remainder term, which can be expressed using the remainder formula.

What is the significance of the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem?

The Taylor Series Remainder Theorem is significant because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomials. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering where it is often easier to work with polynomials rather than complicated functions.

How is the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem used in practice?

The Taylor Series Remainder Theorem is used in numerical analysis and calculus to approximate functions and calculate error bounds for these approximations. It is also used in applications such as signal processing, image compression, and computer graphics.

What is the formula for the remainder term in the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem?

The remainder term in the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem is expressed as R_n(x) = f^(n+1)(c) * (x-a)^(n+1) / (n+1)! where f^(n+1)(c) is the (n+1)th derivative of the function f at some point c between a and x.

What is the relationship between the error and the remainder term in the Taylor Series Remainder Theorem?

The error in the Taylor polynomial approximation is equal to the remainder term, which represents the difference between the actual function value and the approximation. As the degree of the Taylor polynomial increases, the error decreases and the approximation becomes more accurate.