The box notation and Lagrangians in field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the box notation in scalar field Lagrangians and the justification for writing the Lagrangian as -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box+m^2)\phi. The integration by parts argument is related to a step in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation and the form of the equation of motion changes. It is also explained that in interacting theories, this form of the Lagrangian is used due to its relation to the inverse propagator in the coordinate representation. Additionally, the extension of the formula for the equations of motion is discussed when the Lagrangian includes second derivatives.
aqualone
I have some questions about scalar field Lagrangians, using the box notation defined as [itex]\Box \equiv \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \nabla^2 [/itex]. It's a basic, perhaps silly issue, but somehow I've managed to sweep it under the rug for a long time.

So, usually, the Lagrangian of a free scalar field is given as [itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi \partial^{\mu} \phi - \frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2 [/itex] and then using the Euler-Lagrange equation gives the equation of motion, [itex](\Box + m^2)\phi = 0. [/itex] Which is all nice and makes sense. But sometimes I see [itex] \mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box+m^2)\phi[/itex], and the only justification I've heard is that it is related to the above Lagrangian by integration by parts. Which is clear too, but I have no idea how you get [itex](\Box + m^2)\phi = 0. [/itex] (Naively) applying the Euler-Lagrange equation gives zero for [itex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)} [/itex] and then using [itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} = 0 [/itex] gives [itex](\frac{1}{2}\Box + m^2)\phi = 0[/itex], which is not quite right.

Is it that the [itex]\Box[/itex] notation has some other meaning? That is, in [itex]\phi\Box\phi[/itex] is there some sort of differentiation being done on the [itex]\phi[/itex] on the left, or is it just what it appears to be?

Thanks in advance; this is really confusing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that you have to take the variation of the action, which doesn't change (applying appropriate boundary conditions) from the one to the other form. Since in the variation in the sense of Hamilton's principle, you have ##\delta x=0##, you simply get using the 2nd form of the Lagrangian
$$A[\phi]=-\frac{1}{2} \int \mathrm{d}^4 x \phi(x) (\Box+m^2) \phi(x)$$
for the variation
$$\delta A[\phi]=-\frac{1}{2} \int \mathrm{d}^4 x [\delta \phi(x) (\Box+m^2) \phi(x)+ \phi(x) (\Box+m^2) \delta \phi(x)].$$
Integrating by parts twice, assuming that boundary integrals are 0, gives
$$\delta A[\phi]=-\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta \phi(x) (\Box+m^2) \phi(x).$$
Since this should be ##0## for any variations ##\delta \phi##, you again get the free Klein-Gordon equation
$$(\Box+m^2) \phi(x)=0.$$

Likes Demystifier
Thanks for the reply; it makes much more sense now. I haven't had a chance to work through the details yet, but I gather that the essential idea is that the integration by parts argument relates to a step in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation. So, a naive application of [itex]\partial_\mu \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}= \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi[/itex] does indeed give the wrong answer, because the form of the E-L equation has changed, but we get the right equation of motion if we start from the principle of least action.

In interacting theories, sometimes the free part of the Lagrangian is written as [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi[/itex]. So, to get the equations of motion in those cases, you just make use of [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi \implies (\Box+m^2)\phi = 0[/itex] and then use the standard E-L equation for the other terms? What's the point of writing [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi[/itex], anyway? I know in some path integral calculations there is a practical reason to, but cases where it seems to make little difference, is it just a matter of style?

aqualone said:
I have some questions about scalar field Lagrangians, using the box notation defined as [itex]\Box \equiv \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \nabla^2 [/itex]. It's a basic, perhaps silly issue, but somehow I've managed to sweep it under the rug for a long time.

So, usually, the Lagrangian of a free scalar field is given as [itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi \partial^{\mu} \phi - \frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2 [/itex] and then using the Euler-Lagrange equation gives the equation of motion, [itex](\Box + m^2)\phi = 0. [/itex] Which is all nice and makes sense. But sometimes I see [itex] \mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box+m^2)\phi[/itex], and the only justification I've heard is that it is related to the above Lagrangian by integration by parts. Which is clear too, but I have no idea how you get [itex](\Box + m^2)\phi = 0. [/itex] (Naively) applying the Euler-Lagrange equation gives zero for [itex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)} [/itex] and then using [itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} = 0 [/itex] gives [itex](\frac{1}{2}\Box + m^2)\phi = 0[/itex], which is not quite right.

Is it that the [itex]\Box[/itex] notation has some other meaning? That is, in [itex]\phi\Box\phi[/itex] is there some sort of differentiation being done on the [itex]\phi[/itex] on the left, or is it just what it appears to be?

Thanks in advance; this is really confusing me.
If you have second order derivatives in your lagrangian L, you should use the euler-lagrange equations with three terms. You're missing the derivative of L with respect to the second order derivative of phi. See e.g. Ortin's Gravity and Strings, eqn 2.4.

Likes Demystifier
aqualone said:
[...] What's the point of writing [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi[/itex], anyway? I know in some path integral calculations there is a practical reason to, but cases where it seems to make little difference, is it just a matter of style?

That's precisely the reason, the Lagrangian density enters the path integral, thus it makes sense to use the box notation because it emphasizes the inverse of the propagator in the coordinate representation.

aqualone said:
Thanks for the reply; it makes much more sense now. I haven't had a chance to work through the details yet, but I gather that the essential idea is that the integration by parts argument relates to a step in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation. So, a naive application of [itex]\partial_\mu \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}= \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\phi(\Box + m^2)\phi[/itex] does indeed give the wrong answer, because the form of the E-L equation has changed, but we get the right equation of motion if we start from the principle of least action.
##\newcommand{\Lag}{\mathcal{L}}##
Sure, using the Lagrangian in the form with 2nd derivatives needs an extension of the formula for the equations of motion. So let ##\mathcal{L}=\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial_{\mu} \phi, \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi)##. Then you get
$$
\begin{split}
\delta A&=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \left [\delta \phi \frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial \phi} + \partial_{\mu} \delta \phi \frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} + \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi)} \right ] \\
&= \int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta \phi \left [\frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial \phi} - \partial_{\mu}\frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \phi)} + \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \frac{\partial \Lag}{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \phi)} \right],
\end{split}$$
where I again integrated by parts and assumed that the boundary terms can be neglected.

The action is stationary if the bracket vanishes everywhere, and that provides the more general Euler-Lagrange equations.

1. What is the box notation in field theory?

The box notation is a shorthand way of writing the equations of motion in field theory. It is represented by a square box enclosing the field, and the equations of motion are written inside the box. This notation is useful for simplifying the calculation of Lagrangians in field theory.

2. How is the box notation related to Lagrangians?

The box notation is used to represent the equations of motion in field theory, which are then used to derive the Lagrangian for a particular system. The equations of motion written in the box notation are essentially the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are used to calculate the Lagrangian for a given field.

3. What is the significance of Lagrangians in field theory?

Lagrangians in field theory are important because they describe the dynamics of a system in terms of the fields involved. They are used to calculate the equations of motion for the fields, and can also be used to derive other important quantities such as energy, momentum, and interactions between fields.

4. How is field theory different from other areas of physics?

Field theory is a branch of theoretical physics that deals with the study of fields, which are physical quantities that vary in space and time. It is different from other areas of physics, such as classical mechanics or quantum mechanics, which focus on the behavior of particles.

5. Can Lagrangians be applied to all systems in field theory?

Yes, Lagrangians can be applied to all systems in field theory. They are a powerful tool for describing the dynamics of fields and can be used for a wide range of systems, from classical fields like electromagnetism to quantum fields like the Higgs field. However, the specific form of the Lagrangian will vary depending on the system being studied.