In summary, the Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical function used to model and analyze phenomena that occur at a single point in time or space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point source of mass, energy, or charge, and in signal processing to represent a perfect impulse or spike in a signal. The function has several important properties and a wide range of applications in various fields.
Summer95

Homework Statement

Differential equation: ##Ay''+By'+Cy=f(t)## with ##y_{0}=y'_{0}=0##

Write the solution as a convolution (##a \neq b##). Let ##f(t)= n## for ##t_{0} < t < t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##. Find y and then let ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

Then solve the differential equation with ##f(t)=\delta(t-t_{0})##.

Homework Equations

Convolution (Boas)
Laplace Transforms (Boas)

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I go through the first part with ##f(t)= n## for ##t_{0} < t < t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}## and do convolution I get ##y=\frac{1}{A(b-a)}\int_0^t(e^{-a(t-\tau)}-e^{-b(t-\tau)})f(\tau)d\tau## which has different cases depending on t:

0 if ##t<t_{0}##

##\frac{n}{A(b-a)}(\frac{1}{a}(1-e^{a(t_{0}-t)})-\frac{1}{b}(1-e^{b(t_{0}-t)}))## if ##t_{0}<t<t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##

##\frac{n}{A(b-a)}(\frac{1}{a}(e^{-a(t-t_{0}-\frac{1}{n})}-e^{a(t_{0}-t)})-\frac{1}{b}(e^{-b(t-t_{0}-\frac{1}{n})}-e^{b(t_{0}-t)}))## if ##t>t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##

I don't understand what happens as ##n\rightarrow \infty##. I know it should become

##\frac{1}{A(b-a)}(e^{a(t_{0}-t)}-e^{b(t_{0}-t)})## for ##t>t_{0}## because that is what I get when I use ##f(t)=\delta(t-t_{0})## from the beginning. But what happens to all the extra terms? And the n out front that goes to infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Summer95 said:

Homework Statement

Differential equation: ##Ay''+By'+Cy=f(t)## with ##y_{0}=y'_{0}=0##

Write the solution as a convolution (##a \neq b##). Let ##f(t)= n## for ##t_{0} < t < t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##. Find y and then let ##n \rightarrow \infty##.

Then solve the differential equation with ##f(t)=\delta(t-t_{0})##.

Homework Equations

Convolution (Boas)
Laplace Transforms (Boas)

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I go through the first part with ##f(t)= n## for ##t_{0} < t < t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}## and do convolution I get ##y=\frac{1}{A(b-a)}\int_0^t(e^{-a(t-\tau)}-e^{-b(t-\tau)})f(\tau)d\tau## which has different cases depending on t:

0 if ##t<t_{0}##

##\frac{n}{A(b-a)}(\frac{1}{a}(1-e^{a(t_{0}-t)})-\frac{1}{b}(1-e^{b(t_{0}-t)}))## if ##t_{0}<t<t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##

##\frac{n}{A(b-a)}(\frac{1}{a}(e^{-a(t-t_{0}-\frac{1}{n})}-e^{a(t_{0}-t)})-\frac{1}{b}(e^{-b(t-t_{0}-\frac{1}{n})}-e^{b(t_{0}-t)}))## if ##t>t_{0}+\frac{1}{n}##

I don't understand what happens as ##n\rightarrow \infty##. I know it should become

##\frac{1}{A(b-a)}(e^{a(t_{0}-t)}-e^{b(t_{0}-t)})## for ##t>t_{0}## because that is what I get when I use ##f(t)=\delta(t-t_{0})## from the beginning. But what happens to all the extra terms? And the n out front that goes to infinity?

Is ##f(t)## supposed to be zero for ##t < t_0## and ##t > t_0+\frac{1}{n}##?

Ray Vickson said:
Is f(t)f(t)f(t) supposed to be zero for t<t0t<t0t < t_0 and t>t0+1nt>t0+1nt > t_0+\frac{1}{n}?

Yes! Sorry I forgot to specify that.

What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to model and analyze phenomena that occur at a single point in time or space. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and its integral over the entire real line is equal to one.

What is the physical significance of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point source of mass, energy, or charge. It can also be used to model instantaneous forces or impulses, such as the impact of a hammer on a nail or the firing of a neuron in the brain.

How is the Dirac Delta Function used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the Dirac Delta Function is used to represent a perfect impulse or spike in a signal. This can be useful for analyzing systems with time-varying responses, such as electrical circuits or filters, or for studying the effects of a sudden input on a system.

What are some properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has several important properties, including linearity, time and space shifting, and scaling. It also satisfies the sifting property, which states that the integral of a function multiplied by the Dirac Delta Function is equal to the value of the function at the origin. Additionally, it can be represented as the limit of a sequence of functions, such as the Gaussian function, as their width approaches zero.

What are some applications of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the position of a particle, in electrical engineering to analyze circuits and signals, and in probability theory to model random processes. It is also commonly used in the field of image processing to represent sharp edges or points in an image.