The Easiest Martial Art to Learn for Self-Defense

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary: Taking a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor, as was mentioned, would probably be worthwhile if you do not want to commit to several years of training. This would give you some level of skill and protection in the event of an altercation. If you are looking for a shorter route to self-defence, then you might consider taking a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor. However, for more comprehensive training, martial arts may be the best option for you. It can take many years of dedication and hard work to be good at martial arts, but it is definitely a practical way to defend yourself. It is also great for exercise and can provide a sense of camaraderie. If you are interested
Gonzolo said:
All of it's techniques can basically be divided in three categories : throws, locks and chokes. Examples of what I call "dangerous techniques" are hits, knee locks, shoulder locks, and anything that risks permanent injury. Not all martial arts have judo in it (Karate and Tae-Kwon-Do have no common techniques with Judo at all).

Aikido is a lot like that, also, but I don't think it has as much groundfighting as Judo.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to see how hard a black belt could kick, so asked my boss to kick me. He said no. He wasn't good enough to kick me without breaking something

Chrono said:
Aikido is a lot like that, also, but I don't think it has as much groundfighting as Judo.

Aikido doesn't have any groundfighting at all as far as I know, it would be hard with the special pants they wear. It emphasizes wrist locks and twists, which would be dangerous in competition (there is no competition in this art). When an opponent flips in Aikido, it's often because he has to jump to save his own wrist.

Many moves are apparently inspired from swordfighting, especially manually disarming a sworded opponent (thus the pants, traditionnally used to hide leg movement in a sword fight). It is not very practical by itself, although if an Aikidoka manages to grab a wrist, his opponent becomes hopeless. There is no competition in Aikido, but it places much importance on a spiritual side, perhaps a remnant, or prelude, to respecting live blades. A jujitsu master called Usheiba created the art about the same time Kano made Judo.

Gonzolo said:
Aikido doesn't have any groundfighting at all as far as I know, it would be hard with the special pants they wear. It emphasizes wrist locks and twists, which would be dangerous in competition (there is no competition in this art). When an opponent flips in Aikido, it's often because he has to jump to save his own wrist.

Many moves are apparently inspired from swordfighting, especially manually disarming a sworded opponent (thus the pants, traditionnally used to hide leg movement in a sword fight). It is not very practical by itself, although if an Aikidoka manages to grab a wrist, his opponent becomes hopeless. There is no competition in Aikido, but it places much importance on a spiritual side, perhaps a remnant, or prelude, to respecting live blades. A jujitsu master called Usheiba created the art about the same time Kano made Judo.

Well, I don't know about entirely not having groundfighting. When I took it we would apply a wrist lock on our partner when we took them to the ground. I'm not exactly sure if that's considered groundfighting, though.

Not only was O Sensei proficient in jujitsu, he also took swordsmanship and even spear fighting, which, as you said, many moves were derived from. Also bear in mind that he himself came up with many aikido techniques.

True that it often ends on the ground, but I don't think it ever continues there, the winner is at most knealing at the end of a movement, with complete control. I base what I say on the 3 months I did and about 30, 15-second videos from Aikido masters I found on the 'net. On the other hand, Wrestling, Judo and JuJitsu actually have techniques where you start lying on your back, front, all four, or kneeling.

Gonzolo said:
True that it often ends on the ground, but I don't think it ever continues there, the winner is at most knealing at the end of a movement, with complete control. I base what I say on the 3 months I did and about 30, 15-second videos from Aikido masters I found on the 'net. On the other hand, Wrestling, Judo and JuJitsu actually have techniques where you start lying on your back, front, all four, or kneeling.

Yeah, it's a very good chance that in aikido the fight ends once the attacker is on the ground in a wrist lock and can think of nothing but the pain. BJJ and the like are mostly what do you do when you both just happen to be on the ground or when the attacker actually takes you down.

tribdog said:
I wanted to see how hard a black belt could kick, so asked my boss to kick me. He said no. He wasn't good enough to kick me without breaking something

My advice is to avoid styles that 1/ rely a lot on high kicks, that you can only do if you keep up a regular stretching routine (I'm thinking here of Tai Kwon Do, with respect to those who practice it), or 2/ styles like tribdog's boss, where you can only defend yourself by putting someone in hospital. Busting people's balls is okay only when metaphorical.

Styles where you at least have the option of stopping an attacker - which, let's face it, is usually just some drunken idiot who is as good as gold on 99% of occasions - are also far more impressive to onlookers, and sound better in court.

the number 42 said:
My advice is to avoid styles that 1/ rely a lot on high kicks, that you can only do if you keep up a regular stretching routine (I'm thinking here of Tai Kwon Do, with respect to those who practice it)

They, at least the good ones, that is, let you kick above the waist so you can get the flexibility and such. However, they advice you continuously that you only do so unless you're 500% you're going to hit the target with power. Otherwise, you hit below the waist.

I don't see anyone whose mentioned shootfighting yet. Shootfighting is defined as a mixture of a ground style and non-ground style, only formed together in such a way that it transitions well. Usually kickboxing is considered to be one of the best standing strategies, but on the ground it really suffers, which is why a lot of expert kickboxers end up training in shootfighting, usually with jujitsu as a ground style.

www.sherdog.com is a great site to learn and see different styles. As you can see, taekwondo and karate and some of the other 'common' styles really aren't that great. I've seen blackbelts in karate get their arses handed to them by a 'free-style' street punk.

Also, high kicks are more effective with perfect aim than amazing power. If you land one right, it's devastating, no matter how weak it is (to some extent, of course).

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
I don't see anyone whose mentioned shootfighting yet. Shootfighting is defined as a mixture of a ground style and non-ground style, only formed together in such a way that it transitions well. Usually kickboxing is considered to be one of the best standing strategies, but on the ground it really suffers, which is why a lot of expert kickboxers end up training in shootfighting, usually with jujitsu as a ground style.

I went to a tournament not long ago and saw some kickboxers fight and I almost fought one myself. I tell, I'm damn glad I didn't. The guy I did fight, who wasn't a kickboxer, nearly killed me.

The spirit of the fighter might well be the most important thing i.e. more important than style, skill, experience, numbers, even weaponry.

the number 42 said:
The spirit of the fighter might well be the most important thing i.e. more important than style, skill, experience, numbers, even weaponry.

How true that is.

"...which is the easiest of them to have some ability to defend myself?"

If you're asking that question, you're not the kind of person who would be willing to put in the time and work to become proficient in any art.

FredGarvin said:

If you're asking that question, you're not the kind of person who would be willing to put in the time and work to become proficient in any art.
I disagree. You can become proficient in a simple type of self defense. The surest way to failure is to set unrealistic goals.

He didn't ask to "become proficient", he asked for "some ability to defend" himself.

And this is for everyone. While Judo is a sport, and Aikido is an art, Jujitsu is like cooking, swimming and first aid, as it is basic survival. A considerable proportion of students have no interest in winning contests, they just don't want to get mugged, raped or have to carry a machine gun.

There are people that swear by silat, and claim that it is very adaptable to real life situations.

I have seen 'spirited' individuals who were put down fast by those who were more skilled.

If one wishes to pursue a martial art, one should commit to more than a little effort (at least 3 hrs/week in class, with 2-3 hrs outside, i.e. homework). One learns discipline, skills (including speed and agility) and endurance.

One instructor I know teaches a form of Kempo with a variety of self-defense techniques. He is ex-Marine and teaches techniques he taught as a Marine.

Besides, it is good exercise - good for body - and good for mind.

Attachments

• technik2.gif
    technik2.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
I think I'm a little late to this thread but I thought I'd throw in my two cents anyway. For what it's worth, I used to practice tae kwan do when I was much younger; this art is mainly aimed at increasing strength and flexibility through repetitive punching and high kicks. However, in terms of actual confrontations, these moves are essentially useless.

Currently I practice the Japanase style of ninjutsu, which combines unarmed combat very similar to jujutsu, with weapons training in the katana (Japanese sword) and various other fighting instruments. I think this art is very useful for self defence due to the many different locks and pressure point attacks in the unarmed component. Apart from the obvious coolness, the sword is also great for increasing arm strength :biggrin:.

Ultimately, if you simply want to learn to kick someone's arse, then you shouldn't be practicing martial arts at all. Ninjutsu is great, however for anyone wishing have a fun time working out whilst learning to defend themselves using one of the oldest and most traditional styles.

Last kid I heard brag about his martial arts got his face bashed into a locker by yours truly (I'm not proud of it, I was a lot more.. aggressive back then, but not anymore though). He had been training for a few years, not sure what belt he was. Wonder if he asked for his money back? The fact is that if you don't train hard everyday for a significant portion of your life the odds of you taking on someone whos reasonably bigger than you isn't very good, unless he just plain sucks at fighting.

And if you're looking to protect yourself from a bully, don't count on it. Chances are you're not just being picked on by one person but one person and his buddies. No kid is going to learn enough martial arts to protect himself from a number of people that are probably stronger than him to begin with.

I'm sure there are plenty of little kirate people a lot smaller than me that could smack me around. But they probably train 24/7 and have been doing so for years.

If you really want to protect yourself there is a simple thing you can do and it's a lot cheaper than martial art's classes. Go to the store and buy a taser. Someone trys something, zap'em! It's not just effective, but fun! Especially if they wet themselves.. heheh...

Entropy said:
No kid is going to learn enough martial arts to protect himself from a number of people that are probably stronger than him to begin with.

Oh YEAH? Bet you wouldn't say that to the Karate Kid.
http://www.fast-rewind.com/kkid/
:biggrin:

I forgot about this thread...

Cue: Step on top of soapbox:

Evo said:
I disagree. You can become proficient in a simple type of self defense. The surest way to failure is to set unrealistic goals.
And this is based on what experience? I've had more than a few years teaching two different martial arts and I have seen my fair share of students come and go.

The reason I said what I said was touched on by Entropy. Of course, I don't agree with the tazer comment, but there were some very valid points. If a person asks something along the lines of "how can I do this fast and easy" they are not going get any real long term benefit from the 6 weeks or so they are going to train. We all know the phrase "know enough to make yourself dangerous." That's exactly what happens with 90% of the people that "study." They know exactly enough to get themselves seriously hurt due to overconfidence. People are going to throw out all different forms and styles and say they are the best or most practical. That has been going on since the inception of martial arts.

The fact of the matter is is that a self defense instinct has to be just that, an instinct, an automatic reaction, done without thinking. It takes a long time and a lot of training to get to that level. Add on to the situation the huge stress involved, the mind and body do not do well at completing complicated tasks and movements. They must be basic and easy.

That being said, I think someone said it before...take up a basic boxing class. Learn how to move a bit and throw a couple of basic punches and get some exercise. Forget the kicks, the holds the throws and the pins. After that, learn how to not let yourself get into a position where you need to defend yourself. If you want to study an art to further develop over time, that's fantastic. I highly recommend it. I can't imagine my life without my training.

Stepping off soapbox.

FredGarvin said:
I forgot about this thread...

Cue: Step on top of soapbox:

originally posted by FredGarvin - If you're asking that question, you're not the kind of person who would be willing to put in the time and work to become proficient in any art.
Evo said:

Originally posted by FredGarvin - And this is based on what experience? I've had more than a few years teaching two different martial arts and I have seen my fair share of students come and go.
The fact that you made a statement that simply wasn't true. Are you going to say that someone can't become proficient in a simple type of self defense? You can become proficient in whatever you wish, it does not only have to be something difficult. The person only wanted "some ability to defend myself", he wasn't asking to become a black belt in five easy lessons. Your response was rather arrogant, IMHO.

Last edited:
i don't know if you would find instructors for this martial art in the US, but it is called Kalarippayattu and found in Kerala, India.. it is the most complete martial art yet, because it teaches emty hand fighting, weapons fighting- swords, sticks, etc., yoga, medicine (some of the moves actually have healing powers)...

but i forgot the name, but there is this one move, it takes a few seconds to do, and the other person is dead, Gokul, you said you were from Chennai, maybe you have seen the movie Indian, in which Kamal Hassan acted, in the first scene, that is how he kills the guy who works for the British..

Edit: Another fact that might impress you, there are different styles in this Indian martial art, out of which the most difficult, dangerous, and yet the best style is Kathinayoga, only a few people have ever been capable of mastering it, that's why it is almost extinct now, there was a great master in recent times, called Kumaran Asan, he died when he was 98 years old. Here comes the most amazing part, one week before his death he could throw people weighing 90 kilograms some 10 feet away.. think about that, and he was 98 years old... if you go to some countries, you would find people older than 80 in hospitals suffering from diseases.. but this guy seriously was crazy good at this, unbelievably good...

Last edited:
klusener said:
i don't know if you would find instructors for this martial art in the US, but it is called Kalarippayattu and found in Kerala, India.

Why do I have the feeling that that's not a martial art? I'll do some research on it.

go ahead search for it, the first result itself says martial arts in its title..

another thing, do you know that Kung Fu and Karate were developed in India, a buddhist monk went to China and taught it there, if you don't believe me, you can search for it in google, i actually read it in a book about martial arts, don't remember the name.. basically, most of them originate in some form or another from yoga..

this stuff just makes me sad some time, we used to be such a great culture, now if you come here, it is a cesspool of crime and vice... very sad... :frown: :frown:

Last edited:
klusener said:
another thing, do you know that Kung Fu and Karate were developed in India, a buddhist monk went to China and taught it there, if you don't believe me, you can search for it in google, i actually read it in a book about martial arts, don't remember the name.. basically, most of them originate in some form or another from yoga..

I don't know where you got that, but karate originally came from Okinawa and was founded by Gichin Funakoshi.

this is a good site, Chrono..
http://www.kathinayoga.com/KalariWorld/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrono said:
I don't know where you got that, but karate originally came from Okinawa and was founded by Gichin Funakoshi.

read this..

http://216.232.47.236/history/

Last edited by a moderator:
there has been no proven connection between Bodhidharma and karate but his teachings in part contributed to karate, but the Shaolin Kung fu is definitely from Buddhist monks from india..

History of Karate
Karate history can be traced back some 1400 years, to Daruma, founder of Zen Buddhism in Western India. Daruma is said to have introduced Buddhism into China, incorporating spiritual and physical teaching methods that were so demanding that many of his disciples would drop in exhaustion. In order to give them greater strength and endurance, he developed a more progressive training system, which he recorded in a book, Ekkin-Kyo, which can be considered the first book on karate of all time.

The physical training, heavily imbued with Daruma's philosophical principles, was taught in the Shaolin Temple in the year 500 A.D. Shaolin (Shorin) kung-fu, from northern China, was characterised by very colourful, rapid, and dynamic movements; the Shokei school of southern China was known for more powerful and sober techniques. These two kinds of styles found their way to Okinawa, and had their influence on Okinawa's own original fighting method, called Okinawa-te (Okinawan hand) or simply te. A ban on weapons in Okinawa for two long periods in its history is also partly responsible for the high degree of development of unarmed fighting techniques on the island.

the book i read was called: History and Traditions of Karate by Bruce Haynes, very good one, I should say

tumor said:
I want to learn martial art, which is the easiest of them to have some ability to defend myself?

In short, tumor, I was just trying to explain Kalarippayattu, try to see if you can find someone in US, but i have heard that only a few foreigners have learned this martial art, mostly from UK, it was actually developed to be fought on a practical basis, you can find its origins in our religious epic, Mahabharata, where the main character uses it to fight, just go to the link i gave.. dammit, i still can't remember that move, where you do something with your fingers that i was talking about earlier, maybe gokul, if he saw that movie i was talking about, he might remember it...

klusener said:
.. dammit, i still can't remember that move, where you do something with your fingers that i was talking about earlier, maybe gokul, if he saw that movie i was talking about, he might remember it...

I believe you must be thinking about Mr Spock's Vulcan death grip.I have to learn this one for sure.