The linearization of the metric of curved space-time

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the terms HacHcb and Haccb in the equation Yab=Xab-kHab+k2HacHcb-... There is also a mention of the Taylor series in powers of "H" and "κ" in relation to the curved and planespace-time metrics. It is noted that the expansion of (HH)ab is identical to the gij expansion due to the tensor rank. The factor 1/2 in the Taylor series of "H" is absent due to the absence of the exponent "-1" in the gij expansion.
maica
Why Yab=Xab-kHab+k2HacHcb-... and not Yab=Xab-kHab+(1/2)k2Haccb-...?
Y is the curved space-time metric
X is the planespace-time metric

Space news on Phys.org
The second order term in k is HacHcb and not Haccb

Last edited:
Because of the matrix identity (I + H)-1 = I - H + HH - ...

but this expansion is not an expansion matrix. these objects are components, numbers

maica said:
but this expansion is not an expansion matrix. these objects are components, numbers

How do you calculate the value of (HH)ab, given the components of H?

I'm a little lost. The expression (I+H)-1 = I - H + HH - ... is the Taylor series in powers of "H", but gij = ηij + κhij + (1/2)κ2hilhlj, is a series in powers of "κ", and doesn't have the expoent "-1", which is responsible for the absence of the factor 1/2 in the Taylor series of "H". I can't see why the factor 1/2 is absent, in Taylor series of "κ" powers. I think that the expansion of (HH)ab is identical of the gij expansion, because of de tensor rank.

I think that I understood. If we consider the equation gikgkj = δij and if gkj = ηkj + κ hkj then gik is the inverse and its expansion is gik = ηik - κ hik + κ2 hil hlk - ... identical to the expression (I + H)-1.

Last edited:

1. What is the linearization of the metric of curved space-time?

The linearization of the metric of curved space-time is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a curved space-time by breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts that can be described using linear equations. This allows for easier analysis and calculations in situations where the full, non-linear equations are too complex to work with.

2. Why is the linearization of the metric of curved space-time important?

The linearization of the metric of curved space-time is important because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of curved space-time in situations where it would otherwise be too difficult to do so. It also helps us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects and particles in curved space-time, such as in the theory of general relativity.

3. How is the linearization of the metric of curved space-time related to general relativity?

The linearization of the metric of curved space-time is a key component of the theory of general relativity. It allows us to simplify the complex equations of general relativity in order to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in curved space-time. Without this technique, it would be much more difficult to apply the theory of general relativity to real-world situations.

4. What are the limitations of using the linearization of the metric of curved space-time?

While the linearization of the metric of curved space-time can be a useful tool in certain situations, it does have its limitations. It is only an approximation and cannot fully capture the behavior of curved space-time in all cases. It also becomes less accurate as the curvature of space-time increases, making it less useful in extreme cases such as near black holes.

5. Can the linearization of the metric of curved space-time be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, the linearization technique can be applied to other fields of science besides physics. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science to simplify complex systems and make them easier to analyze and understand. However, the specific equations and methods used may vary depending on the field of study.