Thermal energy question: Final temperature of a solution

In summary, this equation states that the amount of heat that is released when an object is dropped into a warmer liquid is equal to the amount of heat that is absorbed by the liquid.
Petronius
Homework Statement
A 0.400 kg sample of aluminum (c= 9.20 x 102J/kg°C) at 95.0 °C is dropped into a 0.550 kg pot of water which is at 18.0 °C. What temperature will the mixture come to?
Relevant Equations
Qlost+Qgained=0
Qlost= -Qgained
(m_1) (c_1) (∆T_1)= -(m_2 )(c_2 )(∆T_2)
(0.400kg)(9.1 ×10^2 J/kg°C)(T_2 -95.0°C)= (-0.550kg)(4.2×10^3 J/kg°C )(T_2 -18.0°C)
364 (T_2 -95.0°C)= -2310(T_2 -18.0°C)
364T_2 -34580= -2310T_2 +41580)
364T_2+2310 T_2= 41580+34580
2674 T_2= 76160
T_2= 28.4816754°C
T_2=28°C
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.. I hope I followed the formatting correctly and this post complies with the expectations of the forum. I solved the equation but my answer seems too low. I tried it again and arrived at the same answer. I also had doubts if it was acceptable for me to rearrange the base equation as " Qlost= -Qgained" . I found this format much easier to contextualize.

This is relatively new topic and as such any feedback would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Petronius said:
Homework Statement:: A 0.400 kg sample of aluminum (c= 9.20 x 102J/kg°C) at 95.0 °C is dropped into a 0.550 kg pot of water which is at 18.0 °C. What temperature will the mixture come to?
Relevant Equations:: Qlost+Qgained=0
Qlost= -Qgained
(m_1) (c_1) (∆T_1)= -(m_2 )(c_2 )(∆T_2)
(0.400kg)(9.1 ×10^2 J/kg°C)(T_2 -95.0°C)= (-0.550kg)(4.2×10^3 J/kg°C )(T_2 -18.0°C)
364 (T_2 -95.0°C)= -2310(T_2 -18.0°C)
364T_2 -34580= -2310T_2 +41580)
364T_2+2310 T_2= 41580+34580
2674 T_2= 76160
T_2= 28.4816754°C
T_2=28°C

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.. I hope I followed the formatting correctly and this post complies with the expectations of the forum. I solved the equation but my answer seems too low. I tried it again and arrived at the same answer. I also had doubts if it was acceptable for me to rearrange the base equation as " Qlost= -Qgained" . I found this format much easier to contextualize.

This is relatively new topic and as such any feedback would be appreciated.
As you can see, the coefficient for water is nearly five times that for Al, and there is a bit more water than Al, so you would expect the final temperature to be five or six times as far from the initial temperature of the Al as it is from that of the water.
I get very slightly more, though. Plugging in numbers from the start can accumulate rounding errors. Better to work algebraically, arriving at the weighted average
##\theta_f=\frac{m_1c_1\theta_1+m_2c_2\theta_2}{m_1c_1+c_2m_2}##
You can then do all that in one sequence on your calculator.

But just noticed the 9.2 in the statement became 9.1.

Ugh.. I thank you for catching that change to 9.1. I'll redo the calculation following the equation format you provided. Thanks for the input!

Petronius said:
Ugh.. I thank you for catching that change to 9.1. I'll redo the calculation following the equation format you provided. Thanks for the input!
Ok, but please do the algebra to obtain that formula for yourself.

haruspex said:
As you can see, the coefficient for water is nearly five times that for Al, and there is a bit more water than Al, so you would expect the final temperature to be five or six times as far from the initial temperature of the Al as it is from that of the water.
I get very slightly more, though. Plugging in numbers from the start can accumulate rounding errors. Better to work algebraically, arriving at the weighted average
##\theta_f=\frac{m_1c_1\theta_1+m_2c_2\theta_2}{m_1c_1+c_2m_2}##
You can then do all that in one sequence on your calculator.

But just noticed the 9.2 in the statement became 9.1.

Hello, and thanks again. I followed that equation and calculated it out to 28.5810306. I was unable to punch it all into my calculator at once unfortunately because I did not know how to define the T and we never spent any time covering that in our class. I'm hoping to to find a good tutorial online as that would speed up such calculations.

Last edited:
I believe the final temperature value that you have calculated is correct.
If you add that number to the following equation, you will find that the heat released by the aluminum block equals 24442 Joules, which is the same amount of heat absorbed by the water.

##(C_{aluminum})~(m_{aluminum})~(T_{initial~aluminum}-T_{final~system})~=~-(C_{water})~(m_{water})~(T_{initial~water}-T_{final~system})##

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html

:cool:

Lnewqban said:
I believe the final temperature value that you have calculated is correct.
If you add that number to the following equation, you will find that the heat released by the aluminum block equals 24442 Joules, which is the same amount of heat absorbed by the water.

##(C_{aluminum})~(m_{aluminum})~(T_{initial~aluminum}-T_{final~system})~=~-(C_{water})~(m_{water})~(T_{initial~water}-T_{final~system})##

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html

:cool:
Thank you for the formula and the link.
I plugged in the values to both sides of the equation that provided and arrived at 24,442.18074 on both sides. This seems like a great way to check my work when I'm dealing with such questions.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that comes from the movement of particles within a substance. It is a form of kinetic energy and is related to the temperature of the substance.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). It can also be measured in units of temperature, such as degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

3. What factors affect the final temperature of a solution?

The final temperature of a solution is affected by the initial temperature of the solution, the amount of thermal energy added or removed, the specific heat capacity of the solution, and the type of container in which the solution is held.

4. How do you calculate the final temperature of a solution?

The final temperature of a solution can be calculated using the equation Q = m x c x ∆T, where Q is the thermal energy added or removed, m is the mass of the solution, c is the specific heat capacity of the solution, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

5. Can the final temperature of a solution ever be lower than the initial temperature?

Yes, the final temperature of a solution can be lower than the initial temperature if thermal energy is removed from the solution. This is known as an endothermic reaction, where thermal energy is absorbed from the surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature.