Thermal Neutron Capture from 55Mn to 56Mn

As for part b, I think I'll be able to get that once I get the N0, I should be able to use half life of 56Mn to get the numbers, but I'm stuck on part A and can't progress further.In summary, the problem involves the production of 56Mn in a reactor by inducing thermal neutron capture. A 2g sample of 55Mn is put into the reactor for 8 hours with a flux of 3E13 neutrons/cm^2*s. The amount and activity of the 56Mn at the time of its removal is being asked for in part a, while part b involves calculating the activity of the sample after a two-hour trip from the reactor
Kromboy85

Homework Statement

In a reactor, we're making 56Mn by inducing thermal neutron capture.
2g sample of 55Mn is put into the reactor which has a flux of thermal neutrons of 3E13 neutrons/cm^2*s

Sample is in the reactor for 8 hours and then removed.

a. Calculate the amount and activity of the 56Mn at the moment of its removal.
b. Calculate the activity of the sample after its two hour trip from the reactors to the hospital.

Homework Equations

This is the part I'm having trouble with

I've got the number of molecules of 55Mn we start with.
N(55Mn) = 2.192*10^22 molecules

I am given the thermal neutron flux, but I'm not sure how to use that piece of information to get the production rate of 56Mn.

As for part b, I think I'll be able to get that once I get the N0, I should be able to use half life of 56Mn to get the numbers, but I'm stuck on part A and can't progress further.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got the number of molecules of 55Mn we start with.N(55Mn) = 2.192*10^22 moleculesI am given the thermal neutron flux, but I'm not sure how to use that piece of information to get the production rate of 56Mn.

Related to Thermal Neutron Capture from 55Mn to 56Mn

What is thermal neutron capture?

Thermal neutron capture is a process in which a neutron with low energy (or thermal energy) is absorbed by a nucleus, resulting in the formation of a new isotope.

Why is 55Mn to 56Mn thermal neutron capture important?

Thermal neutron capture from 55Mn to 56Mn is important because it is a key step in the production of stable manganese isotopes and plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and energy production.

How does thermal neutron capture occur from 55Mn to 56Mn?

In thermal neutron capture, a neutron is absorbed by the nucleus of 55Mn, resulting in the formation of an unstable 56Mn isotope. This unstable isotope then undergoes radioactive decay to become stable 56Mn.

What is the role of thermal neutrons in this process?

Thermal neutrons are essential in thermal neutron capture reactions because they have the right energy to be absorbed by the nucleus of 55Mn. If the neutrons had higher or lower energies, the reaction would not occur as efficiently.

Are there any practical applications of thermal neutron capture from 55Mn to 56Mn?

Yes, there are practical applications of this process in various fields such as nuclear medicine, nuclear power generation, and research in nuclear physics. It is also used in the production of medical isotopes and in neutron activation analysis to determine the composition of materials.