MEng or MSc. , but both require thesis?

• Programs
  • Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc Thesis
In summary: Yes and no. MEng students typically do more coursework because their research (projects) are slim to none, perhaps because the professors are not as invested. Where I did my masters all MSc students had significantly more actual research that transitioned into publications than MEng students. Also, where I am studying now for my PhD, I notice a similar trend.I think research looks better than coursework, and the few engineers I've spoken with in industry prefer to see that over a bunch of classes.
CivilSigma
Hello,

I'm looking online at some master programs at different universities in Canada, and some offer MEng and MSc degrees that both require research and a thesis.

My question is which is "better" on paper, a MEng or MSc? since in both degrees your going to do research.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The letters are largely semantic as different schools will have different labels for what essentially amounts to the same thing. The specifics of what you do in the program and for your research project will matter more.

Likes member 428835
sakonpure6 said:
Hello,

I'm looking online at some master programs at different universities in Canada, and some offer MEng and MSc degrees that both require research and a thesis.

My question is which is "better" on paper, a MEng or MSc? since in both degrees your going to do research.

Thanks!
Choppy is corrent. However, all else equal, MSc is better than MEng. Most schools who have MEng do not allow the continuation into a PhD, where as MSc upholds that path. Not that that's what you're looking for, but it's nice to keep options open for the future just in case.

Likes CivilSigma and Wminus
Josh is right. In my experience, professors often subconsciously prefer MS to MEng for PhD even if both have a research component.

Last edited:
In terms of the materials / specialized skills to be learned , wouldn't MEng be better option since you will be exposed to more course work and actual design projects? or is it on par with the specialized skills if doing MSc ?

sakonpure6 said:
In terms of the materials / specialized skills to be learned , wouldn't MEng be better option since you will be exposed to more course work and actual design projects? or is it on par with the specialized skills if doing MSc ?
Yes and no. MEng students typically do more coursework because their research (projects) are slim to none, perhaps because the professors are not as invested. Where I did my masters all MSc students had significantly more actual research that transitioned into publications than MEng students. Also, where I am studying now for my PhD, I notice a similar trend.

I think research looks better than coursework, and the few engineers I've spoken with in industry prefer to see that over a bunch of classes. These are just my observations and the people I've spoken to, but it's good that you're asking around to get a reliable amount of data to make an informed decision.

Likes CivilSigma

What is the difference between an MEng and an MSc degree?

An MEng (Master of Engineering) degree is a professional degree that focuses on practical engineering skills and is typically completed in 1-2 years. An MSc (Master of Science) degree is an academic degree that focuses on theoretical and research-based learning and is typically completed in 2-3 years.

Do both MEng and MSc degrees require a thesis?

Yes, both MEng and MSc degrees typically require a thesis or final project as part of the degree requirements. However, the focus and length of the thesis may differ between the two degrees.

Can I switch from an MEng to an MSc program or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from an MEng to an MSc program or vice versa, but it will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university and program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine if this is a viable option for your individual circumstances.

Which degree is better for my career goals?

This will depend on your specific career goals and preferences. An MEng degree is typically geared towards students who want to pursue a career in engineering practice, while an MSc degree is more focused on students who want to pursue a career in research or academia.

Are there any differences in job opportunities for MEng and MSc graduates?

The job opportunities for MEng and MSc graduates are similar, but they may differ in terms of the type of positions available. MEng graduates may be more suited for roles in industry and engineering practice, while MSc graduates may be more suited for roles in research and development or academia.