Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem (Quantum Mechanics)

In summary, the three-dimensional virial theorem states that for stationary states, the time derivative of the expectation value of the operator Q is equal to zero. This can be shown by first proving that the time derivative of <x · p> is equal to the negative sum of the commutators of x and p with the Hamiltonian. Then, using the commutation relations for p and H, it can be shown that the final result is equal to zero.
NeoDevin

Homework Statement

(a) Prove the three-dimensional virial theorem:

[tex] 2<t> = <r\cdot \nabla V> [/tex]

(for stationary states)

Homework Equations

Eq. 3.71 (not sure if this applies to 3 dimensions, but I think so)

\frac{d}{dt}<Q> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[\hat H, \hat Q]> + \left<\frac{\partial \hat Q}{\partial t}\left> [/tex]

where the last term is the explicit time dependence of the operator Q.

The Attempt at a Solution

Letting [itex] Q = \vec r \cdot \vec p [/itex]

[tex] \frac{\partial \hat Q}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex]

and for stationary states:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}<Q> = 0 [/tex]

so:

[tex] 0 = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[\hat H, \hat Q]> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[T+V, \vec r \cdot \vec p]> [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{i}{\hbar}(<T(\vec r \cdot \vec p)>-<\vec r \cdot \vec p T> + <V(\vec r \cdot \vec p)> - <\vec r \cdot \vec p V>) [/tex]

but

[tex] <\vec r \cdot \vec p V> = <\vec r \cdot (\vec pV)> + <V(\vec r \cdot \vec p)> [/tex]

so

[tex] 0 = \frac{i}{\hbar}(<T(\vec r \cdot \vec p)> - <\vec r \cdot \vec p T> - <\vec r \cdot (\vec p V)>) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you show that
$$\begin{align}\frac{d\langle \mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{p}\rangle}{dt}=-\frac{i}{\hbar}\sum_{j=1}^3\left(\langle x_j[p_j,H]+[x_j,H]p_j\rangle \right).\end{align}$$
Second you show that $$\begin{align}[p_j,H]=+\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_j}~~\text{and}~~[x_j,H]=-\frac{p_j}{m}.\end{align}$$
Third you substitute equations (2) into (1) and it should pop out.

Related to Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem (Quantum Mechanics)

1. What is the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem in Quantum Mechanics?

The Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem is a mathematical relationship that applies to particles in a three-dimensional space, specifically in the context of quantum mechanics. It relates the average kinetic energy of a system of particles to the average potential energy, and provides insights into the behavior of these particles.

2. How is the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem derived?

The Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem is derived from the time-independent Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It involves applying mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation to obtain the final relationship between the kinetic and potential energies of a system.

3. What are the applications of the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem?

The Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem has various applications in physics and chemistry. It can be used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in a three-dimensional space, as well as to understand the properties of gases, liquids, and solids. It is also used in the field of astrophysics to study the behavior of stars and galaxies.

4. Can the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, there are various versions of the theorem that exist for systems in different dimensions, such as two-dimensional and four-dimensional systems. However, the three-dimensional version is the most commonly used and studied.

5. What are the limitations of the Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem?

The Three-Dimensional Virial Theorem is based on certain assumptions and approximations, such as considering the particles to be point masses and ignoring the effects of external forces. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of systems with more complex interactions. Additionally, it is only applicable to systems in thermal equilibrium, so it cannot be used to study systems that are not in equilibrium.