Time when two cars have equal speeds

• Thread starter MechaMZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Time
In summary, the two toy cars with different initial positions and velocities have equal speeds at 1.1379 seconds. The final common speed is not 6.30 cm/s, as one car is moving under constant acceleration while the other is moving under constant zero acceleration. The correct answer is 3.21 seconds, with the equal speeds being 12.309 cm/s. This is because the question asks for when the two cars have the same speed, not when they have the same velocity. The first car has an initial velocity of -3 cm/s, so when it reaches the same speed as the second car, it has to stop and start moving in the opposite direction. By plugging in the
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

At t = 0, one toy car is set rolling on a straight track with initial position 16.0 cm, initial velocity -3 cm/s, and constant acceleration 2.90 cm/s2. At the same moment, another toy car is set rolling on an adjacent track with initial position 10.5 cm, an initial velocity of 6.30 cm/s, and constant zero acceleration.
(a) At what time, if any, do the two cars have equal speeds?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 1.1379s by using the method below,
Vf = Vi +at
6.3 = 3 + (2.9)t
t = 1.1379s

However, the answer is 3.21s, with the equal speeds as 12.309cm/s(I suppose by using Vf = Vi +at).

I don't understand why the final common speed is not 6.30 cm/s since the one of the object(with initial velocity of 6.30 cm/s) is moving under zero acceleration. Shouldn't it moves under a constant velocity throughout the whole journey?

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial velocity of the first car is -3cm/s: vf=-3+2.9t. The question is when the cars have the same speed, that is the same magnitude of their velocity. This means either v1=v2 or v1=-v2. ehild

i

ehild said:
The initial velocity of the first car is -3cm/s: vf=-3+2.9t. The question is when the cars have the same speed, that is the same magnitude of their velocity. This means either v1=v2 or v1=-v2.

ehild

i

yes, I know this clearly. unfortunately, I couldn't get the correct answer.

MechaMZ said:
yes, I know this clearly. unfortunately, I couldn't get the correct answer.
Can you show your re-work when you use the correct initial velocity, -3 cm/s?

Plug in the minut(-) before the 3. Remember that the car is moving the other way, so it has to stop and start moving in the opposite direction before it can catch up with the other one(velocity wise.)

Try:

6.3=-3+2.9(t)

Find t.

Hubert

Related to Time when two cars have equal speeds

1. What is the significance of two cars having equal speeds?

When two cars have equal speeds, it means that they are traveling at the same rate and will maintain a constant distance from each other.

2. Can two cars with equal speeds ever collide?

Yes, it is possible for two cars with equal speeds to collide if their paths intersect or if one car changes its speed or direction.

3. How does the concept of time change when two cars have equal speeds?

When two cars have equal speeds, time remains constant for both cars as they are covering the same distance at the same rate.

4. Is there a limit to how long two cars can maintain equal speeds?

No, there is no limit to how long two cars can maintain equal speeds as long as their speeds remain constant and they do not encounter any external factors that may affect their speeds.

5. What happens to the time interval between the two cars when one car accelerates or decelerates?

If one car accelerates or decelerates, the time interval between the two cars will increase or decrease, respectively. This is because the distance between the cars will change as their speeds are no longer equal.