Torque, beam, angular acceleration problem

In summary: My bad.In summary, the bar experiences a torque from the weight of the ball. The moment of inertia for the rod and the ball is calculated, but the correct answer is 16.3rads^-2.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

[/B]
A thin, uniform, 3.8kg bar, 80cm long has two 2.5 kg balls glued on at either end. It is supported horizontally by a thin, horizontal, frictionless axle passing through its centers and perpendicular to the bar. Suddenly the right hand ball becomes detached and falls off, but the other ball remains glued to the bar.

Find the angular acceleration of the bar just after the ball falls off.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Torque = I.α
The torque here is provided by the single ball = 0.4 x 2.5g

The moment of inertia for the rod and the ball, I = (1/12 M L^2) + (2.5 x 0.4^2)

Solving for α, I get the wrong answer. The correct answer is 16.3 rad s^-2

I would appreciate some guidance on this, and where I may have gone wrong. Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your calculations. Typing error on the calculator ?
Can you post your steps ?

Likes CricK0es
CricK0es said:
The torque here is provided by the single ball = 0.4 x 2.5g

Remember that Torque = Fperpendicular × r
What is the force exerted by the weight of the ball?

1.) The one ball falls off and so it is no longer balanced. Therefore, the torque is provided by the distance (from pivot) multiplied by the force
Torque = Weight of ball x distance = 0.4 x 2.5g = g

2.) The moment of inertia has to be determined for the rod AND the ball, I , = I = (1/12 M L^2) + (2.5 x 0.4^2)

3.) Torque = I.α ... Therefore α = T / I

g / [ (1/12) . (3.8) . (0.8)^2 + (2/5)... which I now have working xD = 16.3

Sorry, I must have rearranged things incorrectly the first time, or as you said put it in the calculator wrong. Oh well... I have another question, regarding centre of percussion (where I barely even know where to start), but I'll post a different thread tomorrow. But still, many thanks

#1 says the balls are 2.5kg not 2.5g

Edit: Oh wait I see you mean g as in 9.8m/s/s not grams

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of the force.

2. What is a beam and how does it relate to torque?

A beam is a long, straight structural element that is used to support a load. In the context of torque, a beam can act as a lever to amplify or redirect the force applied to an object, resulting in a larger or different torque.

3. How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In the context of torque, it is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object. This means that the greater the torque, the greater the angular acceleration of the object.

4. How do I solve a torque, beam, and angular acceleration problem?

To solve a torque, beam, and angular acceleration problem, you will need to use the basic equation for torque (T = F x r) and the equation for angular acceleration (α = τ/I), where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. You will also need to consider the properties of the beam, such as its length and material, to determine the moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque, beam, and angular acceleration?

Torque, beam, and angular acceleration are utilized in many everyday objects and structures. Some examples include: door handles, wrenches, car steering wheels, bridges, and roller coasters. These concepts are also important in various fields of engineering, such as mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering.