Total Angular Momentum Commutation Relations for 2 Particle

In summary: That's really something you should know or at least look up in your textbook before asking here.No worry I've managed to do it now, was getting confused over the J^2 operator...
Sekonda
Hey,

I'm not exactly sure how much this question wants, however the two in question are parts a) and b) below.

Commutations.png

So part a) asks to write the expression for the total angular momentum J, I though this was just:

[tex]\hat{J}=\hat{J}^{(1)}+\hat{J}^{(2)}[/tex]

but when we come to showing it satisfies similar commutation relations - I'm not really sure how to do this, I was thinking of expanding J like so

[tex]\hat{J}=\hat{J}_{x}+\hat{J}_{y}+\hat{J}_{z}=(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{x}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{x})+(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{y}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{y})+(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{z}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{z})[/tex]

but wasn't sure if this was the correct route and if the last expansion or even the first was necessary.

Part b I think relies on the commutation relations which we find in a) - I'm fairly sure I can show that they all commute but I don't know what expansion/what other commutation relation I need to derive in order to show these commutators are conserved.

Thanks for any help!
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
Sekonda said:
Hey,

I'm not exactly sure how much this question wants, however the two in question are parts a) and b) below.

Commutations.png

So part a) asks to write the expression for the total angular momentum J, I though this was just:

[tex]\hat{J}=\hat{J}^{(1)}+\hat{J}^{(2)}[/tex]

but when we come to showing it satisfies similar commutation relations - I'm not really sure how to do this, I was thinking of expanding J like so

[tex]\hat{J}=\hat{J}_{x}+\hat{J}_{y}+\hat{J}_{z}=(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{x}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{x})+(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{y}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{y})+(\hat{J}^{(1)}_{z}+\hat{J}^{(2)}_{z})[/tex]

but wasn't sure if this was the correct route and if the last expansion or even the first was necessary.

Part b I think relies on the commutation relations which we find in a) - I'm fairly sure I can show that they all commute but I don't know what expansion/what other commutation relation I need to derive in order to show these commutators are conserved.

Thanks for any help!
SK

You're on the right track. Define the total angular momentum vector as you did, and the individual components in a similar way. You should then be able to explicitly find the commutators by working them out explicitly in terms of the single particle operators and the commutation relations given.

Ahh good to know, will give it a try now and get back if I'm having trouble!

I managed to attain this commutation relation:

[tex][\hat{J}^{(1)},\hat{J}^{(2)}]=0[/tex]

and

[tex][\hat{J},\hat{J}^{(1/2)}]=0[/tex]

but that's all, I think those are all I need?

You are keeping in mind that ##\hat{\vec{J}}## is a vector, right? The commutation relations involve individual components of this vector and the (non-vector) operator ##\hat{J}^2##.

Though I seem to be having trouble showing

[tex][\hat{J},\hat{J}_{z}]=0[/tex]

Ok so the operator

[tex]\hat{J}^{2}[/tex]

is equal to what? The individual components squared and then summed? Or the sum of the individual components squared?

Sekonda said:
Ok so the operator

[tex]\hat{J}^{2}[/tex]

is equal to what? The individual components squared and then summed? Or the sum of the individual components squared?
The J operators are vector operators:

[tex]\hat{J}^2=\hat{\vec{J}}\cdot\hat{\vec{J}}[/tex]

What is the dot product of two vectors in terms of the component vectors?

Sekonda said:
Ok so the operator

[tex]\hat{J}^{2}[/tex]

That's really something you should know or at least look up in your textbook before asking here.

No worry I've managed to do it now, was getting confused over the J^2 operator...

Cheers guys!
SK

Related to Total Angular Momentum Commutation Relations for 2 Particle

What is total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. It is the sum of the individual angular momenta of all the particles in the system.

Why are commutation relations important in total angular momentum?

Commutation relations describe how different physical quantities, such as angular momentum, interact with each other. In the case of total angular momentum, commutation relations are important because they determine how the total angular momentum of a system changes over time.

What is the significance of the commutation relation for 2 particles?

The commutation relation for 2 particles is significant because it describes how the angular momentum of one particle affects the angular momentum of the other particle. This can be used to understand the rotational dynamics of systems with multiple particles, such as molecules or atoms.

What are the mathematical expressions for the commutation relations in 2 particle systems?

The commutation relations for total angular momentum in 2 particle systems are given by [Jx, Jy] = iħJz and [Jy, Jz] = iħJx, where Jx, Jy, and Jz represent the individual angular momenta of the two particles and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

How are the commutation relations for 2 particle systems derived?

The commutation relations for 2 particle systems can be derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the mathematical representation of angular momentum in terms of operators. These relations can also be derived from the commutation relations for angular momentum in single particle systems.