Transfer function and Bode plot

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function for a filter with a known Q0 value and angular frequency. The attempted solution involves defining the transfer function and calculating the impedance, with some corrections needed. The end result is not as important as the main concept of using a voltage divider for impedance.
skrat

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function for the filter on the attached picture and sketch it in Bode diagram, if you know ##Q_0 =\frac{\omega _0L}{R}>>1## and ##\omega _0^2=\frac{1}{LC}##.
Captureg.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not mistaken, we defined the transfer function as $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}$$
where ##U_{out}(\omega )=IZ##. $$\frac 1 Z =\frac{1}{R+i\omega L}+\frac{1}{i\omega C}$$ $$Z=\frac{-\omega ^2 LC + i\omega RC}{R+i\omega (L+C)}$$ So finally $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}=\frac{Z}{Z+R}=\frac{-\omega ^2LC+iR\omega C}{R^2-\omega ^2LC+i\omega R(L+2C)}$$ But I highly suspect this is wrong from the very start. I have no idea how to solve this kind of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation is almost right. Your expression for Z can't be right because it involves summing L and C, which you can't do because they don't have the same units. In your first expression for 1/Z, you're adding ZC instead of 1/ZC.

Likes skrat and berkeman
Thank you!

Well, the end result is not that important (Except that ##1/Z_c## part, that is important). I was just not sure if this: $$H(i\omega )=\frac{U_{out}(\omega )}{U_{in}(\omega )}=\frac{Z}{Z+R}$$ is right. I did the rest of the calculations using Mathematica.

Yeah, that's fine. That's just a plain-old voltage divider. It holds for impedances, not just resistances.

Your attempt at finding the transfer function is correct. However, in order to sketch it in a Bode plot, we need to plot the magnitude and phase of the transfer function as a function of frequency. This can be done by first converting the transfer function from complex form to polar form, and then plotting the magnitude and phase separately.

To convert the transfer function, we can use the fact that for a complex number in polar form, the magnitude is given by the absolute value of the complex number (i.e. the distance from the origin) and the phase is given by the angle of the complex number with respect to the real axis.

In this case, the magnitude of the transfer function is given by: $$|H(i\omega)|=\frac{\sqrt{(\omega RC)^2+(\omega^2LC-\omega R(L+2C))^2}}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega LC)^2}}$$

And the phase is given by: $$\arg(H(i\omega))=\arctan\left(\frac{\omega RC}{\omega^2LC-\omega R(L+2C)}\right)-\arctan\left(\frac{R}{\omega LC}\right)$$

Once we have these equations, we can plot the magnitude and phase as a function of frequency on a logarithmic scale using the Bode plot format. This will give us a better understanding of how the filter behaves at different frequencies.

In summary, the transfer function and Bode plot are useful tools in analyzing and understanding the behavior of filters and other systems. By converting the transfer function to polar form and plotting the magnitude and phase, we can gain insights into how the system responds to different frequencies and make informed decisions about its design and performance.

1. What is a transfer function and why is it important in science?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the input-output relationship of a system. It describes how a system responds to different inputs, making it an important tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of complex systems.

2. How is a transfer function derived?

A transfer function is derived using the Laplace transform, which converts differential equations into algebraic equations. The transfer function is then obtained by taking the ratio of the output to the input in the Laplace domain.

3. What is a Bode plot and how is it related to a transfer function?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows how the magnitude and phase of the transfer function change with frequency. A Bode plot is directly derived from the transfer function and is useful for analyzing the stability and performance of a system.

4. How do I interpret a Bode plot?

In a Bode plot, the frequency is represented on a logarithmic scale and the magnitude and phase are represented on separate plots. The magnitude plot shows the gain of the system at different frequencies, while the phase plot shows the phase shift of the output compared to the input. The shape and slope of the plots can provide information about the stability and frequency response of the system.

5. What are the practical applications of transfer functions and Bode plots?

Transfer functions and Bode plots are commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and electrical engineering. They are also useful in analyzing the behavior of mechanical, thermal, and chemical systems. These tools allow scientists and engineers to design and optimize systems for specific performance criteria, as well as troubleshoot and improve existing systems.