Transforming E^2(x,t) to A_y^2 + A_z^2 in Harmonic Waves

In summary: Therefore, it is generally taken as a good approximation to integrate from 0 to 2π/ω even if T is not exactly an integral multiple of 1/f.In summary, when trying to understand how ##E^2(x,t)## transforms to ##A_y^2 + A_z^2##, it is important to integrate the equation from t = 0 to 2π/ω. This integration results in the desired solution of ##I = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \frac{\epsilon}{\mu} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} (A_y^2 + A_z^2)##, which can be obtained by multiplying and simplifying the equation. It is
Athenian
Homework Statement
Show that ##I = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \frac{\epsilon}{\mu} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} (A_y^2 + A_z^2)##
Relevant Equations
$$I = \frac{1}{T} \int_0^T \Big( \frac{\epsilon}{\mu} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} E^2 (x,t)dt$$
$$E_y (x,t) = A_y cos(kx-\omega t)$$
$$E_z (x,t) = A_z cos(kx-\omega t + \phi)$$
Note that ##\phi## is the phase difference
$$E^2 = E_y^2 + E_z^2$$
To begin with, I am trying to understand how does ##E^2 (x,t)## transform to ##A_y^2 + A_z^2##. And, noting that the already established equation of ##E^2 = E_y^2 + E_z^2##, I would assume that ##E^2 (x,t)## somehow ends up to being ##A_y^2 + A_z^2##. However, noting that ##E^2 = (A_y cos(kx-\omega t))^2 + (A_z cos(kx-\omega t + \phi))^2##, I can't see how this can be equal to ##A_y^2 + A_z^2## yet. In other words, I am having a hard time with the math if I am going about this in the right direction.

In short, any help toward helping me understand and ultimately solve the question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Athenian said:
However, noting that E2=(Aycos(kx−ωt))2+(Azcos(kx−ωt+ϕ))2, I can't see how this can be equal to Ay2+Az2 yet.
It isn't. But integrate it from t = 0 to 2π/ω.

Likes etotheipi and Delta2
Thank you for your reply. Here's what I did.

Since
$$E^2=(A_y cos(kx−\omega t))^2+(A_z cos(kx−\omega t+ \phi))^2$$

I can continue per your instructions (if I understood it correctly) by writing the following:
$$\int_0^\frac{2 \pi}{\omega} (A_y cos(kx−\omega t))^2+(A_z cos(kx−\omega t+ \phi))^2 dt = \frac{\pi A_y^2}{\omega} + \frac{\pi A_z^2}{\omega}$$

The above answer is what I got when I plugged the values into Wolfram|Alpha. However, despite integrating, my answer does not exactly equate to ##A_y + A_z##. Am I doing something wrong here or am I on the right track?

Also, I noticed you substituted ##\frac{2\pi}{\omega}## (or ##\frac{1}{f}##) for ##T##. However, isn't ##T## (time) much larger compared to the time period of oscillation (i.e. ##T >> \frac{1}{f}##)? Or, despite that, it's still fine to integrate from ##0## to ##\frac{2\pi}{\omega}##. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I am having my understanding completely accurate and coreect.

Once again, thank you so much for your kind and prompt assistance!

Please ignore my confusion in the above reply. It was pretty late and I wasn't exactly thinking straight despite my efforts. Anyway, a good night's rest was all I needed to get my mind on the right track.

In short, my partial answer of ##\frac{\pi A_y^2}{\omega} + \frac{\pi A_z^2}{\omega}## was correct. However, I did not put in mind that ##\frac{1}{T}## before the integral would also become ##\frac{1}{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}}## instead.

Multiplying and simplifying everything, I got the desired solution of ##I = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \frac{\epsilon}{\mu} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} (A_y^2 + A_z^2)##.

However, my original question re-quoted below still stands. If somebody can help answer this conceptual or math-based question to reinforce my understanding, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Athenian said:
Also, I noticed you substituted ##\frac{2\pi}{\omega}## (or ##\frac{1}{f}##) for ##T##. However, isn't ##T## (time) much larger compared to the time period of oscillation (i.e. ##T >> \frac{1}{f}##)? Or, despite that, it's still fine to integrate from ##0## to ##\frac{2\pi}{\omega}##?

The answer is strictly true only for T = an integral multiple of 1/f. However, if T >> 1/f the error is small. If we write T = n/f + d, then the 1/T factor mean the error due to d is very small if n is very large.

Likes Athenian and etotheipi

1. What is the definition of intensity in a harmonic wave?

Intensity in a harmonic wave is the measure of the amount of energy that passes through a unit area per unit time. It is also known as the power per unit area and is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2).

2. How is intensity related to the amplitude of a harmonic wave?

The intensity of a harmonic wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the intensity also increases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the intensity of a harmonic wave?

The intensity of a harmonic wave is affected by the amplitude, frequency, and distance from the source. As the amplitude and frequency increase, the intensity also increases. However, as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases.

4. How is intensity measured in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, intensity is measured using a device called a radiometer. This device measures the intensity of electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, by converting them into electrical signals.

5. How does the intensity of a harmonic wave affect its perceived loudness?

The perceived loudness of a harmonic wave is directly related to its intensity. As the intensity increases, the wave is perceived as louder. This is why louder sounds have a higher intensity and quieter sounds have a lower intensity.