Transmission and reflection coefficients for potential barrier

In summary: What he's saying is that you might be solving for a incorrectly, and that you should try differentiating both sides of the equation to see if that helps.
mnoir

Homework Statement

An electron with kinetic energy 5 eV (8.01E-19 J) passes through a 3 eV (4.806E-19 J) potential barrier. There are certain widths for this potential barrier in which the transmission probability will equal one hundred percent and the reflection probability will equal zero. Find the smallest non-trivial width in which this occurs.

Homework Equations

R = [i(q2-k2)sin(2qa)exp(-2ika)] / [2kqcos(2qa)-i(k2+q2)sin(2qa)]

T = [2kqexp(-2ika)] / [2kqcos(2qa)-i(k2+q2)sin(2qa)]

k = sqrt(2mE) / hbar

q = sqrt[2m(E-V0)] / hbar

width = 2a
i is imaginary
q = sqrt[2m(E-V0)] / hbar
k = sqrt(2mE) / hbar
m=9.1094E-31 kg
hbar=1.0546E-34 J*s

The Attempt at a Solution

k=1.15E10

q=7.24E9

From here I think you would set T=1 and R=0 and solve for a. I'm not sure if this method is correct, but if so, after plugging in k and q, how do I solve for a if it's in cos, sin, and exp?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure your expressions for R and T are correct? They should be real numbers, but your expressions don't look like they'll yield real number answers.

Remember R and T are the reflection and transmission "coefficients" which are between 0 and 1 while r and t are the reflection and transmission "amplitudes" which are (k1-k2)/(k1+k2) and (2k1)/(k1+k2), respectively.

As far as I know these are the correct expressions, according to my professor.

For now, assuming these expressions are correct, this is what I have come up with (I could be on the wrong track though):

Set T=1. The numerator and denominator both have 2kq, so find cases in which cos=1 and sin=0 in order to get rid of i(k2+q2)sin(2qa).

T=[2kqexp(-2ika)]/[2kqcos(2qa)] =1
2kq's cancel out
when 2qa=0, 2pi, etc., cos=1
so if you set 2qa=2pi then a=pi/q
solve for q using q=sqrt[2m(E-V0)]/hbar
plug q into solve for a.
Then multiply 2*a in order to find width.
Checking the value I got for a (4.34E-10) by plugging it into cos(2qa) and sin(2qa) I get 1 and zero, respectively.

You don't get T=1 under those conditions. You get T=e-2ika. You should understand what dgreenheck is saying, because you're omitting some solutions right now.

What is a transmission coefficient for a potential barrier?

A transmission coefficient for a potential barrier is a measure of the probability that a particle will pass through the barrier. It is usually represented by the symbol T and ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no probability of transmission and 1 indicating certain transmission.

How is the transmission coefficient calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave-like behavior of particles. It takes into account the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the particle's mass.

What factors affect the transmission coefficient of a potential barrier?

The transmission coefficient is affected by the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the particle's mass. It is also influenced by the shape of the potential barrier and the angle of incidence of the particle.

What is a reflection coefficient for a potential barrier?

A reflection coefficient for a potential barrier is a measure of the probability that a particle will be reflected by the barrier. It is usually represented by the symbol R and also ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no probability of reflection and 1 indicating certain reflection.

How are the transmission and reflection coefficients related?

The transmission and reflection coefficients are related by the law of conservation of probability, which states that the sum of the transmission and reflection coefficients must equal 1. This means that if the transmission coefficient is high, the reflection coefficient must be low, and vice versa.