Trig and Calc-Based Physics. Which is easier?

In summary, it depends on the school you go to and the course you are taking. Some schools may require you to take Trig-based physics first, but others may not. It is good to get an introduction to the concepts, especially if you didn't have physics in high school.
Bogrune
I don't really know if "easier" is the right word for this question, but I'm undecided about whether I should take trignonometry-based physics in order to get ready for calculus-based physics.

I heard from numerous students that calc.-based physics is probably one of the hardest classes that I'll take. At the same time, other students told me that Accounting 101 was going to be a lot harder than Accounting 100, but I found Accounting 101 a lot easier than Acc. 100, and the reason for that is because Acc. 100 was a lot more simple and to-the-point, but I felt like that was the reason that I found the more basic class harder than the more advanced class. Thus, I felt like I never really needed Acc. 100 to get ready for Acc. 101. Will it be the same story for Trig-based physics and Calc-based physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
More or less. At most schools, calculus-based physics and algebra/trig-based physics are pretty similar the first semester. Calculus is usually used only to simplify certain derivations. In the second semester (which is mostly E&M) they diverge more, because calc-based courses usually get into the integral versions of Gauss's Law and Ampere's Law, whereas algebra/trig-based courses might not cover those two laws at all.

Bogrune said:
Thus, I felt like I never really needed Acc. 100 to get ready for Acc. 101. Will it be the same story for Trig-based physics and Calc-based physics?

It could be. One thing that I found was that calculus made things *easier*. Without calculus, doing equations with a hand saw, but once you have calculus, it's like someone handing you a power saw. It takes a bit of effort to learn how to use it, but it makes your life a lot, lot easier.

If you can handle the calculus, I'd skip the trig-based physics.

In my opinion, there's something you get from calc-based physics that is just lacking in algebra-based physics. While you might understand how to solve problems in algebra/trig-based physics, calculus-based physics shows you where the equations come from.

Calc-based physics is really quite beautiful.

It helps to take algebra/trig physics beforehand (if you've got the time for it). I say this because you're basically going through the same material again, just at a deeper level. I took general physics 1 last summer and now I'm taking calc-physics 1. I recognize/remember a lot of the concepts from the earlier class. I think it helps me. This is just my experience though and I'm sure it's different for everyone else.

contramundum said:
It helps to take algebra/trig physics beforehand (if you've got the time for it). I say this because you're basically going through the same material again, just at a deeper level. I took general physics 1 last summer and now I'm taking calc-physics 1. I recognize/remember a lot of the concepts from the earlier class. I think it helps me. This is just my experience though and I'm sure it's different for everyone else.

I agree. It's good to get an introduction to the concepts, especially if you didn't have physics in high school. Even in an intro class you'll learn a lot, like how to draw force diagrams.

Usually algebra based physics is catered to premed type students so although the material is more or less similar the work given and the expectations about it are much less.

I mean while I have homework that takes me like 5 hours to do and that gets assigned 3 times a week, a premed friend gets a little worksheet where it asks for a torque and he just multiplies the given force times a given distance.

The calculus helps you understand things easier if you can speak the language.

Chunkysalsa said:
I mean while I have homework that takes me like 5 hours to do and that gets assigned 3 times a week, a premed friend gets a little worksheet where it asks for a torque and he just multiplies the given force times a given distance.

To provide a counter-example for the OP, in my general physics 1 class there were no "plug and chug" worksheets as Chunkysalsa describes. We were usually assigned about 15 problems per week out of the textbook (Physics by Giambattista).

Sorry for the late reply everyone, I've had a pretty rough week at school. Through my opinion of all your comments, I think I'll take my chances and take Calc-Based Physics once I've finished taking Calculus 2. I'm both good at mathematics because I am very dependent on independent studies, and I like to study topics on both the textbooks and on external sources. Mostly, becuase I'm the kind of person who simply loves math. Thanks again everyone!

Related to Trig and Calc-Based Physics. Which is easier?

1. What is the difference between Trig and Calc-Based Physics?

Trig-based physics focuses on using trigonometry to solve problems, while calc-based physics uses calculus to analyze more complex situations.

2. Which is more difficult, Trig or Calc-Based Physics?

It depends on the individual's strengths and weaknesses. Trig-based physics may be easier for those who are comfortable with trigonometry, while calc-based physics may be easier for those who have a strong foundation in calculus.

3. Do I need to take both Trig and Calc-Based Physics?

It depends on your academic goals and the requirements of your program. Some universities may require both, while others may only require one or the other.

4. Are the concepts in Trig and Calc-Based Physics similar?

Yes, many of the concepts in both trig and calc-based physics are similar, but calc-based physics delves deeper into the mathematical analysis of these concepts.

5. Can I switch from Trig to Calc-Based Physics or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between the two, but it is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine if it is feasible and if there will be any impact on your academic progress.