Trouble w/ electron in a television picture tube. Hints please

In summary: So, since there is no acceleration in the y direction, the force in the y direction must be equal to the force of gravity (since the weight is negligible). And since the force of gravity is constant, we can use the formula F=ma to find the acceleration in the y direction. Then, using kinematics, we can find the deflection, and use trigonometry to find the angle of deflection. In summary, the electron will be deflected at an angle of 0.72 degrees after passing between the plates.
kusiobache

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated horizontally from rest in a television picture tube by a
potential difference of 25,000 V. It then passes between two horizontal plates 6.5 cm
long and 1.3 cm apart that have a potential difference of 250 V, as shown below. At
what angle θ will the electron be traveling after it passes between the plates?

Homework Equations

E=F/Q E=KQ/r^2 F=EQ V=KQ/R E=V/D F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really attempted much, I kind of need a hint to get me started.

I mean, I THINK I know how to solve it but I'm stuck. figure it is accelerated horizontally which would be a force in the X direction, and between the plates it experiences a force in the Y Direction, so you would just do Tan[tex]\alpha[/tex] = Fy/Fx

My Thing is, if this is correct, I have no clue how to GET the force X. I mean, you can find the velocity, idk how I could find acceleration from there for F=MA. Or, you could say Fx=EQ, but then I have no clue how to find an electric field at the beginning.

I'm Also going to try doing the arctan function w/ the velocities, however that will work I shall see. -> Just tried it, I used electron volts to get the P.E which backfired

I don't need it solved for me, I just need a hint or two to get me started.

P.S. Just found this, might help (like on page 6 of google) https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=13031. I'll try it

EDIT: Just Re-did the electron volt thing for velocities, and I got .57 degrees. Doesn't seem right but meh, I'll check it tomorrow. If anyone gets any ideas though I'm open to advice :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If its asking for the angle of deflection. First.. Ask yourself.. Is their any acceleration in the vertical direction? (assume the electron is being deflected vertically.) If you have an electron go through the plates, there must be some force exerted on it to change its path of motion. When it leaves the plates it will have been deflected a certain distance from its original position. You can use that distance, and the distance of the plates to find the angle.

positive (+)
---------------------|
dx

Then you can use trigonometry to determine the angle of deflection, which will remain constant even after it leaves the plates, but look at only the moment it leaves the plates and stops being accelerated.

Using kinematics, we can say dy = deflection..

So..

[tex] deflection = V_{0y}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

So because their is no initial velocity in the y direction, we're left with

[tex] deflection = \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Do you understand the concept?

Now you'll need to make appropriate substitutions for a, and t, using the information the question has provided to derive a usable formula to calculate the deflection, dy. Once you have this, use trig with dx (known) and dy..

If you need any help, ask ill be on for a while. Wont derive it for you :P Make a good effort.

*Hint* What is the net force on the electron when it is passing through the plates, weight is negligible.

EDIT: My theta ended up being 0.72 Degrees, if you have an answer key, let me know if this is correct..

Last edited:
Senjai said:
If its asking for the angle of deflection. First.. Ask yourself.. Is their any acceleration in the vertical direction? (assume the electron is being deflected vertically.) If you have an electron go through the plates, there must be some force exerted on it to change its path of motion. When it leaves the plates it will have been deflected a certain distance from its original position. You can use that distance, and the distance of the plates to find the angle.

positive (+)
---------------------|
dx

Then you can use trigonometry to determine the angle of deflection, which will remain constant even after it leaves the plates, but look at only the moment it leaves the plates and stops being accelerated.

Using kinematics, we can say dy = deflection..

So..

[tex] deflection = V_{0y}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

So because their is no initial velocity in the y direction, we're left with

[tex] deflection = \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Do you understand the concept?

Now you'll need to make appropriate substitutions for a, and t, using the information the question has provided to derive a usable formula to calculate the deflection, dy. Once you have this, use trig with dx (known) and dy..

If you need any help, ask ill be on for a while. Wont derive it for you :P Make a good effort.

Senjai said:
*Hint* What is the net force on the electron when it is passing through the plates, weight is negligible.

EDIT: My theta ended up being 0.72 Degrees, if you have an answer key, let me know if this is correct..

Ahh I see, it makes sense now. I can use electric fields to get the force in the Y direction. Then, I figure I can find the x velocity somehow (probably w/ the given 25000 voltage, I'll try it), and then use that for time and so on. I'll try it and get back to you later.

And sorry, but I won't get the answer until Thursday (bcz the teacher hasn't done it yet apparently), but I'll let you know what I get tonight and I'll let you know what the teacher gets once he does it. (I figure that he HAS done it, but lost whatever sheet he had the work and answer on).

Alright, I did it and I got 1.4 degrees.

My teacher said he remembers it being around 1 or 1.2 degrees so I think I'm correct. We are going to work it out during tomorrow class.

I'll explain my method later.

1. How do I know if there is a problem with the electron in my television picture tube?

The most common sign of a problem with the electron in a television picture tube is a distorted or fuzzy picture. This can include things like lines or spots on the screen, discoloration, or a lack of clarity in the image.

2. What causes trouble with the electron in a television picture tube?

There are a few potential causes of trouble with the electron in a television picture tube. This can include issues with the electron gun or the deflection system, as well as electrical or magnetic interference.

3. How can I fix a problem with the electron in my television picture tube?

Fixing a problem with the electron in a television picture tube can be complicated and is not recommended for those without experience in electronics. It is best to consult a professional technician for repairs.

4. Can trouble with the electron in a television picture tube be prevented?

There are some steps you can take to prevent trouble with the electron in a television picture tube. These include avoiding placing magnetic objects near the TV, using a surge protector, and turning off the TV when not in use.

5. How long does the electron in a television picture tube typically last?

The lifespan of the electron in a television picture tube can vary depending on usage and maintenance. On average, it can last for about 7-10 years, but it is important to regularly clean and maintain the TV to prolong its lifespan.