Two AC Sources with One Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of connecting components in a power grid game using transformers. The objective is to find the voltages and currents across inductors and resistors given the AC voltage sources, resistors, and inductors. The conversation also mentions a differential equation that is unstable in simulations and asks for a solution. The suggested solution involves using the apparent load impedance referred to the primary circuit, controlling the phase angles of the AC sources, and performing calculations in complex arithmetic. Additionally, the conversation mentions the importance of considering phase angles rather than just resistance and inductance. Two articles on AC power analysis are recommended for further reading.
Danksa
I want to program a little power grid game and have the problem of connecting things via transformers. Imagine the following setup:

ZugDVa2.png

You can see the AC voltage sources as generators (or together with the resistor as a "consumer", if the amplitude is 0).

What I need to figure out are the Voltages across the inductors L1 and L2 and the currents which flow through the resistors R1 and R2. So the only things given are U1(t), R1, L1, U2(t), R2 and L2. What I already know is that the voltage across resistor R1 is:
[tex]U_{R1} = U_{L1} - U_1[/tex]
the same thing goes for the voltage across R2:
[tex]U_{R2}=U_{L2}-U_2[/tex]

Through some research I also found that the voltage across an inductor is given by:
[tex]U_{L1}=L_1 \cdot \frac{dI_1}{dt}+ M \cdot \frac{dI_2}{dt}[/tex]

From that we can conclude that:
[tex]U_{R1}=L_1 \cdot \frac{dI_1}{dt} + M \cdot \frac{dI_2}{dt} - U_1[/tex]
which is equavilent to:
[tex]I_1 = \frac{L_1}{R_1} \cdot \frac{dI_1}{dt} + \frac{M}{R_1} \cdot \frac{dI_2}{dt} - \frac{U_1}{R_1}[/tex]
and for the other side:
[tex]I_2 = \frac{L_2}{R_2} \cdot \frac{dI_2}{dt} + \frac{M}{R_2} \cdot \frac{dI_1}{dt} - \frac{U_2}{R_2}[/tex]

Where [tex]M = \sqrt{L_1 \cdot L_2}[/tex] is the mutual inductance.

The problem is, that this differntial equation seems to be highly unstable in a simulation (using numerical differentiation). Is there any solution to that? Just having one side without the other, so setting [tex]M=0[/tex] works just fine, but with both sides everything just "explodes".

Hopefully someone can help me :D

Attachments

• ZugDVa2.png
    ZugDVa2.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 885
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can find what you need here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer#Ideal_transformer
The trick is this

the apparent load impedance referred to the primary circuit is derived in eq. (7) to be equal to the turns ratio squared times the secondary circuit load impedance.

Then you put the referred impecance in series with R1, completely removing the transformer from the circuit.

Be sure that you can control the phase angles of the two AC sources. Also do all your calculations in complex arithmetic, because you need to calculate real and imaginary voltages, currents and power (P=watts Q=VARS)

Good luck, what you're doing is good self-education.

Whoops. I forgot to mention that you should not think of that transformer as two inductors. Again, that Wikipedia article explains more.

Likes scottdave
Hmm, I'll try this and see if it works, but I have a concern: if U1 is larger than U2 and both are in phase, then wouldn't power from the left side be transferred to the right? If R1 = R2? This can't be modeled with additional impedance, can it? I thought of replacing the inductor with impedance and an additional AC source, but I can't work that out either.

I guess I have to first look into the complex arithmetic stuff. I'm familar with complex numbers, but not too much with electronics (yet).

Likes Danksa and scottdave

1. How does a transformer work with two AC sources?

A transformer works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another. In the case of two AC sources, the transformer will have two separate primary windings, each connected to one of the AC sources. The secondary winding will then output the combined voltage of the two sources.

2. Can both AC sources have different frequencies?

Yes, both AC sources can have different frequencies. The transformer will still work, but the output frequency will be a combination of the two frequencies. For example, if one source has a frequency of 50 Hz and the other has a frequency of 60 Hz, the output frequency will be 110 Hz.

3. What happens if the two AC sources have different voltages?

If the two AC sources have different voltages, the transformer will output the sum of the two voltages. For example, if one source has a voltage of 120V and the other has a voltage of 240V, the output voltage will be 360V.

4. Are there any limitations to using two AC sources with one transformer?

Yes, there are some limitations. The two AC sources must have the same phase, otherwise, the transformer will not work properly. Additionally, the two sources should have similar voltages and frequencies for optimal performance.

5. What are the advantages of using two AC sources with one transformer?

Using two AC sources with one transformer allows for the combination of two power sources, which can increase the overall power output. It can also provide a backup source of power in case one source fails. Additionally, it can be more cost-effective than using two separate transformers for each AC source.