Two mirrors meet at a 135 degree angle.... (light ray question)

In summary, the conversation was about finding the angle C using complementary angles and the law of reflection. The person was struggling to find the angle and asked for help. Through further discussion and labeling of the diagram, it was determined that the angle C is 5 degrees.
kspex2
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
Two mirrors meet at a 135 degree angle. If light rays strike one mirror at 40 degrees as shown, at what angle do they leave the second mirror?
Relevant Equations
none for this one, it's a visual problem
sdasdasdasd.PNG
I tried to use complementary angles and the law of reflection but I still have no idea how to find the angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. We cannot help until you post your detailed effort to work on the solution. Thank you.

I tried to think it through, didn't really have any work; I think I'm just missing something really simple.

kspex2 said:
I tried to think it through, didn't really have any work; I think I'm just missing something really simple.
Draw-it-on-paper...

Can't find what angle C is. I already have the answer I just don't know how to get there, how can we know what angle C is?

Attachments

• 2020-09-24 17-50.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
2020-09-24 17-50-1.png

kspex2 said:
The 40 degree angle is from the horizontal line to a line sloping down from the left.
The angle you have labelled C is from that sloping line to the continuation of the horizontal line, yes?
What is the total of those two angles, i.e. from a line going one way from a point to a line going in exactly the opposite direction from the same point?

What angle does the “95°" you have marked refer to?
It will aid discussion if you label some points in your diagrams.

Keep going! You need to find the angle that the ray leaves the 2nd mirror. With some good labeling of the ray angles and the mirror angles, you will have it!

Ohhhhhh I see a triangle now... meaning it's 180-135-30 = 5 so 5 degrees.

kspex2 said:
I'm with @haruspex on this -- can you please add more labels to your diagram that shows angles with respect to what? That should help you also in finalizing your answer to the problem. Thanks.

kspex2 said:
You mean 180-135-40 = 5, right?

1. What happens to a light ray when it hits the point where two mirrors meet at a 135 degree angle?

When a light ray hits the point where two mirrors meet at a 135 degree angle, it will reflect off of both mirrors and continue in the same direction it came from.

2. Will the angle of reflection be the same as the angle of incidence in this scenario?

Yes, the angle of reflection will be equal to the angle of incidence when a light ray hits the point where two mirrors meet at a 135 degree angle. This is known as the law of reflection.

3. How will the reflected light ray's direction be affected by the angle of the two mirrors?

The direction of the reflected light ray will be determined by the angle of the two mirrors. In this case, the angle of the two mirrors is 135 degrees, so the reflected light ray will continue in the opposite direction at a 135 degree angle from the incident ray.

4. Will the two mirrors create a perfect reflection at the point where they meet?

No, the two mirrors will not create a perfect reflection at the point where they meet. Due to imperfections in the mirrors and the angle of the two mirrors, there will be some distortion in the reflected image.

5. How does the angle of the two mirrors affect the number of reflections that occur?

The angle of the two mirrors will determine the number of reflections that occur. In this case, the angle of the two mirrors is 135 degrees, so the light ray will reflect off of both mirrors once, resulting in two reflections. If the angle were different, the number of reflections would also be different.