Ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on finding ultrasonic transducers for underwater manipulation. They are unsure about the operating frequency and whether it can be adjusted to achieve standing waves. There is also mention of adjustable frequency devices but it is not a common feature in commercial transducers.
fpickle
Hi

I'm not too sure where to post this but since I am, after all, doing a project under the EE department, I thought this might be the best place.

I'm new to acoustics, so what I know is rather minimum.

I'm trying to look for ultrasonic transducers that can manipulate objects underwater. What I'm having trouble now is picking the right transducer. I was hoping to achieve standing waves using the transducer but I seem to have found out that all the piezoelectric transducers operate at a particular resonant frequency only. Does that mean that it can't run at any other frequency, since I would most likely need to adjust the frequency to achieve standing waves?

How about the pulses frequency? Is that the one that causes the standing waves? Or the oscillation of the piezoelectric?

Thanks so much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could make a device with adjustable frequency, but the commercial ones don't need that, so they don't have that feature.

1. What is an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater?

An ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater is a device that converts electrical energy into sound waves in the ultrasonic frequency range (above 20 kHz) and emits these waves into water. The transducer is designed specifically to create standing waves, which are stationary waves formed by the interference of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions.

2. How does an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater work?

The transducer works by converting electrical energy into mechanical vibrations using piezoelectric crystals. These vibrations are then transmitted into the water, creating high frequency sound waves. The transducer is designed in such a way that the sound waves reflect off a fixed surface, creating standing waves in the water. The standing waves have areas of high and low pressure, which can be used for various applications such as cleaning, mixing, or particle manipulation.

3. What are the advantages of using an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater?

One of the main advantages of using an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater is its precision. The standing waves created by the transducer have distinct areas of high and low pressure, allowing for precise control and manipulation of the particles or substances in the water. Additionally, the transducer is non-invasive and does not require any physical contact, making it ideal for use in delicate or sensitive environments.

4. What are some common applications of an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater?

An ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater has a wide range of applications. Some common uses include cleaning and removing contaminants from surfaces, mixing and dispersing substances in liquid solutions, and manipulating particles or cells for research and medical purposes. It can also be used in underwater communication and sonar systems.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using an ultrasonic transducer for standing waves underwater. The high frequency sound waves emitted by the transducer can cause harm to living organisms in the water, including humans. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using the transducer and to ensure that proper protective measures are in place to prevent potential harm to the environment and living organisms.