Ultrasonic Transducer interfacing help.

In summary, a user is having trouble working with an Ultrasonic Transducer pair and is seeking help. They are using a 40khz square wave 14Vpp as a drive signal for the transmitter, but are not getting any voltage at the receiver. Another user suggests using a sine wave instead of a square wave for better results.
rohitsay89
Yesterday I bought an Ultrasonic Transducer pair. i am trying to work with it. i am giving a 40khz square wave 14Vpp(peak to peak) to the transmitter and trying to receive it through the receiving transducer. but cannot get any voltage at the receiver. please help me out...

Engineering news on Phys.org
without seeing your circuits I can't tell you where you may have made an error

but here is a ultrasonic transmitter and receiver circuit...

attachment.php?attachmentid=50867&stc=1&d=1347773619.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=50868&stc=1&d=1347773609.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• ultrasonic_transmitter.jpg
    ultrasonic_transmitter.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 584
  • ultrasonic_receiver.jpg
    ultrasonic_receiver.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 784
Why have you driven your transmitting transducer with a square wave? I have, after more than 25 years in specialized sonar, never heard of using a square wave drive signal! Where did you get that plan? Why not use a sine wave? Piezeoelectric materials react well to sine waves. Think about it: a square wave is really an infinite number of odd harmonics superimposed. Sound in air does not propagate by changing pressure levels from zero to maximum instantaneously.

Last edited:

What is an ultrasonic transducer?

An ultrasonic transducer is a device that converts electrical energy into sound waves above the human hearing range. It is commonly used in various industries for applications such as distance measurement, level detection, and medical imaging.

How does an ultrasonic transducer work?

An ultrasonic transducer works by converting electrical energy into mechanical vibrations. These vibrations travel through a medium, such as air, and are then reflected back to the transducer. The transducer then converts the mechanical vibrations back into electrical signals, which can be interpreted and used for various purposes.

What is the importance of interfacing in ultrasonic transducers?

Interfacing is important in ultrasonic transducers because it allows the transducer to communicate with other devices and systems. This enables the transducer to send and receive signals, making it useful for various applications such as distance measurement and object detection.

What are some common methods for interfacing ultrasonic transducers?

Some common methods for interfacing ultrasonic transducers include using microcontrollers, signal conditioning circuits, and amplifiers. These components help to process and manipulate the signals from the transducer, making them more accurate and usable for different applications.

How can I troubleshoot issues with ultrasonic transducer interfacing?

If you are experiencing issues with ultrasonic transducer interfacing, some steps you can take to troubleshoot include checking the connections and wiring, ensuring the correct power supply is being used, and testing the transducer with different input signals. If the issue persists, consulting the transducer's datasheet or seeking help from an expert may also be helpful.