Unclear Format and Instruction

In summary: This will give you the minimum distance required for the opposite car to avoid any accidents while the overtaking car passes the truck.In summary, the problem requires finding the distance that the approaching car should be from the overtaking car and the truck to prevent a collision while the overtaking car passes the truck. This can be found by first calculating the time required for the overtaking car to reach the truck using the velocities and distance given. Then, using this time and the velocities of the truck and approaching car, the minimum distance for the approaching car to be from the overtaking car can be calculated.
physicswonder

Homework Statement

You are on the highway traveling at 110 Km / Hr and are trying to overtake a big truck in front of you (travelling at 100Km/hr). From the opposite direction at 100Km/hour, another car is coming. Assume that you need 50 metres to overtake the truck. Approximately how far should the opposite vehicle be to allow you to safely overtake the truck in front. Calculate the relative velocities and the distances.

Homework Equations

t = d/v
a = (v^2 - u^2) / 2d
d = ut + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to go about this, so I am trying to find time, then acceleration, then distance. The way this is formatted will be greatly appreciated as I am not able to attempt it without getting confused. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably what you are supposed to find in this problem is the distance which will prevent a collision between the overtaking car and the approaching car. So you need to figure out the time for the overtaking car to overtake the truck, and use that to find the minimum distance for the overtaking car.

Pi-Bond said:
Presumably what you are supposed to find in this problem is the distance which will prevent a collision between the overtaking car and the approaching car. So you need to figure out the time for the overtaking car to overtake the truck, and use that to find the minimum distance for the overtaking car.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what equation to use since I am only given velocities, is there any other I am missing because I need another value besides velocity to calculate time. I was thinking t=d/v but I do not have distance unless I use the 50m apart that I need between me and the driver.

ignore the other car

how long will take you to overtake the truck?

(If you are familiar with relative velocity concept, use it. it will be very helpful in this case)

cupid.callin said:
ignore the other car

how long will take you to overtake the truck?

(If you are familiar with relative velocity concept, use it. it will be very helpful in this case)

I see, so there are two velocities to use in the one equation, not separate and the other is car excluded from the question. Is its velocity used later or not at all? Thanks.

Last edited:
physicswonder said:
I see, so there are two velocities to use in the one equation, not separate and the other is car excluded from the question. Is its velocity used later or not at all? Thanks.

to find how far that other car should be to avoid any accident you need its velocity.

All information given in the question is relevant. Firstly, you need to figure out the time required for the overtaking car to reach the truck. For this you need to use the velocity of the car and the truck, as well as the distance between them. Once you get this time, you need to use it to figure the required distance by using the velocities of the truck and opposite car.

Related to Unclear Format and Instruction

What is meant by "Unclear Format and Instruction"?

"Unclear Format and Instruction" refers to a lack of clarity or specificity in the way information or instructions are presented. This can make it difficult for others to understand or follow the intended message or process.

Why is "Unclear Format and Instruction" a problem?

Unclear format and instruction can lead to confusion, misunderstandings, and inefficiency. It can also result in errors or mistakes due to not fully understanding the intended message or process.

What are some common causes of "Unclear Format and Instruction"?

Some common causes of unclear format and instruction include using technical jargon or unfamiliar terminology, not providing enough detail or context, and assuming prior knowledge or understanding from the audience.

How can "Unclear Format and Instruction" be avoided?

To avoid unclear format and instruction, it is important to use clear and concise language, provide relevant context and explanations, and consider the knowledge and experience level of the audience. It can also be helpful to ask for feedback and clarification from others before finalizing instructions or information.

What steps can be taken to improve "Unclear Format and Instruction"?

To improve unclear format and instruction, it can be beneficial to gather feedback from those who have received the information or instructions and make revisions accordingly. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or examples to clarify complex processes or concepts.