Undergrad in Germany or $152,000 in the US?

In summary: In general, the cost of living in Sweden is much higher than in Germany, so the cost of attending a university there must be higher as well.In summary, the conversation discusses three options for the individual's college education: $152,000 of debt at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, attending the University of Leipzig's International Physics Studies Program for little to no cost, or conditional admission to Georgia Tech with financial aid in the form of loans. The individual asks for advice on which option would be best for their future in physics and if the European Bachelor degree from Leipzig would be accepted by graduate universities in Europe and the US. The conversation also touches on the credibility of the Leipzig program and the financial aspect of each option. The expert
Orion V
Hello and other pleasantries Physics forum fellows, I have an interesting dilemma that hopefully your experience could help me solve. I am a recently graduated International Baccalaureate student and I now have the choice to face either $152,000 of debt at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign or to go to the University of Leipzig's International Physics Studies Program for little to no cost (http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~physik/bachelor-physik-ipsp.html .) I understand that it is generally where one finishes their graduate degree that matters the most but would going to Leipzig hinder my future in Physics or related fields? Is this European Bachelor credible and would it be accepted by graduate universities in Europe (ETH Zurich) and the US? Thank you for any and all advice.

P.S. There is a third option; I was granted conditional admission to Georgia Tech meaning if I maintain a 3.3 at USF (or anywhere in the US but USF is the least expensive) I will be granted admission as a transfer student my sophomore year but with financial aid in the form of loans (160,000.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Id go to the German school even if it wasn't cheaper. Though I don't understand why you have to set this up as a dilemma, you even call it that way, between two places on the other side of the world.

150.000? You have to work for that for 3 years. With expenses probably 10 years or more.

Last edited:
For a German the question about the credibility of the program is a bit strange. But obviously one cannot expect everyone to be familiar with the German system. If an institution in Germany is allowed to hold the title "university" then their programs are credible and recognized - at least for institutions older than ~20 years. In fact, a German university is what you seem to call a "graduate university".

Out of curiousity: In which part of the world do people wonder whether the European education system is credible or not?

Last edited:
Unsecured debt is pretty much the inverse of freedom. If, for some reason, being free to choose what's next after you graduate (or fail to graduate) is not important to you, then decide simply on the basis of predicted quality. But with a good option that's pretty much free, I'd say it's obvious what to do.

Is there some reason for you to have serious doubts about Leipzig's program?

I wouldn't go to an ivy league unless it was paid for or you had very rich parents.

$150000 or nothing for a good degree? I think the choice is clear...

College can be ruinously expensive or fairly reasonable in the US; it depends on how hard and how long you look to find the best deal. UIUC or GT are both good schools, but are they the best value for the money invested?

It's like buying a house (to which it certainly comparable, in terms of the financial investment): You can buy a million dollar bungalow in San Franciso or a million dollar McMansion in Dallas or some other less trendy spot. It's up to you how much house you want to buy and what you are willing to pay for it.

I don't know what your academic experience is, nor what goals you desire besides obtaining a degree. Student life at college in the States is quite different from student life at college on the Continent. There, professors lecture. They won't become your pals and may not even offer an opportunity for visits outside of class to discuss assignments. You're expected to be prepared by your previous education to jump into college course work immediately; there's no remedial classes for students who are not adequately prepared.

Life in student housing there is no-frills to the extreme. Want a hot shower after class? Better check where you'll be staying while a student, because the hot water may be optional.

You don't get a choice to take a lot of electives unrelated to your field of study, so if you have any interests besides physics, you're out of luck.

While tuition may be "free" in German universities, they are still permitted to charge students fees for various things, which can add up to a sizable sum. You should check with the U of Leipzig about what fees must be paid.

In Sweden, where college is "free", many students still graduate with some debt:

http://qz.com/85017/college-in-sweden-is-free-but-students-still-have-a-ton-of-debt-how-can-that-be/

1. How much does it cost to attend undergrad in Germany compared to the US?

In Germany, most public universities do not charge tuition fees for domestic or international students, however, students are responsible for living expenses. In the US, the average tuition for a public university is around $9,000 per year for in-state students and $25,000 for out-of-state students.

2. What is the quality of education like in Germany compared to the US?

The quality of education in Germany is highly regarded globally, with many universities consistently ranked among the top in the world. The US also has top-ranked universities, but the overall quality of education can vary depending on the institution.

3. Can I work while studying in Germany or the US?

In Germany, international students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week while studying. In the US, international students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week, but off-campus employment is more restricted and requires special authorization.

4. What are the job prospects after graduation in Germany compared to the US?

Germany has a strong economy with a low unemployment rate, making it a desirable location for job opportunities after graduation. However, the US also has a strong job market and offers a wider range of industries and opportunities for international graduates.

5. How does the cultural experience differ between Germany and the US for international students?

Germany and the US have very different cultures, so the experience for international students can vary greatly. Germany has a more reserved and formal culture, while the US is known for its diversity and informality. It is important for international students to research and consider their personal preferences when choosing between the two countries.