Understanding Semiconductor Physics: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners

Overall, I would recommend it for anyone wanting to learn solid state physics without getting too bogged down in the quantum mechanics details.In summary, there is a search for a good resource for semiconductor physics, and the current textbook is not very helpful. The conversation then delves into discussing the concepts of semiconductor structure and properties, including the Fermi-level, band-gap, valence band, and conduction band. It is suggested to discuss these concepts in a physics technical forum or with the professor. A free textbook with an introduction to the physics of solid state materials is recommended as a good resource for learning these concepts.
TheRealBillNye
Does anyone know of a good resource for semiconductor physics? I can't find much for it and the textbook isn't much help. Here is a https://filebin.net/8navybb1hnt50wi9/Formulae_2017.pdfandhttps://filebin.net/8navybb1hnt50wi9/Formulae_2017.pdfthe textbook is an introduction to semiconductor devices by Donald Neamenhttps://filebin.net/8navybb1hnt50wi9/Formulae_2017.pdfI've read the first 150 pages of the textbook and reviewed notes from my prof but physics is just way too complicated. Most symbols have different meanings (some of the equations have "e" as in natural log, others have "e" as in charge of an electron) and I'm not sure what most of the equations are used for. There are many terms I don't understand and cannot find anything about, what is the Fermi-level, band-gap, valence band or the conduction band. If anyone has a good resource to help with this I'd really appreciate it.https://filebin.net/8navybb1hnt50wi9/Formulae_2017.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
These are some new concepts. How did you do in the courses which were prerequisites for this one? Distinguishing between different meanings of e is in context used.

Your linked formula sheet lists a number of formulas without context, so it would appear to be useful as a reminder/memory aid, not a learning tool per se. Each formula will either be introduced in context in your current course, or should have been introduced in a prerequisite course.

You can discuss the concepts of semiconductor structure and properties at the atomic level in the physics technical forums; The forum, Atomic & Condensed Matter, in particular comes to mind for questions about the electronic properties of materials.

Since the topic of this thread is not a specific homework problem, I am moving it to Atomic & Condensed Matter to see how it fares there.

TheRealBillNye said:
There are many terms I don't understand and cannot find anything about, what is the Fermi-level, band-gap, valence band or the conduction band.

What exactly is the prerequisite for this course that you are taking? Are you supposed to already know these concepts, or are you expected to learn these concepts in this class? Ask your professor!

If you google any of those words, you'll find tons of materials online. Even Hyperphysics has a nice, encyclopedia-type information for them. Have you looked?

These concepts have detailed, in-depth physics that one can learn from a solid state physics textbook and a solid-state physics class. Were you expected to have already taken such a class? Or are these solid-state concepts to be taught in this class that you are taking? Look at the syllabus or course outline. If not, again, ask your professor. Otherwise, learning the physics behind these concepts is a separate course in itself!

Zz.

Likes scottdave
This is a pretty comprehensive free textbook with an introduction to the physics assuming little background, as it is intended for electrical engineering students who usually have taken at most one quantum mechanics course (and that is still uncommon):
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/

Crass_Oscillator said:
This is a pretty comprehensive free textbook with an introduction to the physics assuming little background, as it is intended for electrical engineering students who usually have taken at most one quantum mechanics course (and that is still uncommon):
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/
It looks like worth a look. It needs QuickTime for the animations to run, which I realize I have never installed on my new computer.
It looks pretty interesting, even without animations.

scottdave said:
It looks like worth a look. It needs QuickTime for the animations to run, which I realize I have never installed on my new computer.
It looks pretty interesting, even without animations.
It's actually a pretty good book, aside from a few poorly written passages here and there, along with some typesetting problems.

1. What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties between those of insulators and conductors. They can conduct electricity, but only under certain conditions.

2. What is the purpose of an introduction to semiconductors course?

An introduction to semiconductors course is designed to provide a basic understanding of the principles, properties, and applications of semiconductors. This course is often a prerequisite for more advanced courses in electrical engineering, materials science, and physics.

3. What are some common applications of semiconductors?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, solar cells, and integrated circuits. They are also used in optoelectronics, which includes devices such as LEDs and lasers.

4. What are the two types of semiconductors?

The two types of semiconductors are intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic semiconductors are pure materials, such as silicon or germanium, while extrinsic semiconductors have been intentionally doped with impurities to alter their electrical properties.

5. What is the band gap of a semiconductor?

The band gap of a semiconductor is the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band. This energy gap determines whether a material is an insulator, conductor, or semiconductor, and also affects its electrical properties.