Understanding Space-Time Expansion: Debunking the Myth of Non-Physical Space

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How can space expand when space is not a physical thing? I’ve heard some say that is not expanding but rather it is getting less dense, which to me implies the same thing.

Space news on Phys.org
PhanthomJay said:
How can space expand when space is not a physical thing? I’ve heard some say that is not expanding but rather it is getting less dense, which to me implies the same thing.
Didn't you ask this question before?

If space is expanding, then that's your evidence that it can expand, whether it's a physical thing or not.

PeroK said:
Didn't you ask this question before?

If space is expanding, then that's your evidence that it can expand, whether it's a physical thing or not.
I don’t remember asking it. But thanks for response

PhanthomJay said:
What do you mean when you say it is not a physical thing? While it is true that what ”space” is is a rather arbitrary separation from spacetime. Cosmology generally uses a very particular coordinate system in which the universe is spatially homogeneous and isotropic. It is in those coordinates we talk about the expansion of space, which is nothing else than noting that the distance between so-called comoving objects (essentially objects at rest wrt the CMB or, equivalently, the cosmic frame) grow with time.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks, but why would it not be that the galaxies, not space, are moving apart as physical objects that are "spatially extended" (I borrowed that "term" from Einstein)? I don't particularly like the balloon analogy. And is time expanding also, being part of spacetime?

How I usually explain it: The geometry of spacetime is such that, over time, objects not bound together through some force or through gravity will tend to get further apart. It's not that 'space itself' is expanding, it's a geometrical effect that is just like objects falling towards each other under gravity. The answer to "why do objects fall towards each other" is the same as "why do unbound objects move apart". Geometry tells them to.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, PhanthomJay and DaveC426913
PhanthomJay said:
And is time expanding also, being part of spacetime?
No, it's an expansion of space over time - specifically that's how it's described in comoving coordinates.

More generally, the coordinate-free description is that spacetime is curved.

Likes Jaime Rudas and PhanthomJay
PhanthomJay said:
Thanks, but why would it not be that the galaxies, not space, are moving apart as physical objects that are "spatially extended" (I borrowed that "term" from Einstein)?
Locally (in a small enough spacetime region) it is possible to make a change of coordinates to the locally Minkowski coordinates. In those coordinates, comoving objects are indeed moving apart so it is a matter of coordinates. Hence, this is a matter of nomenclature and interpretation in a particular coordinate system.

However, it should be noted that such coordinates do not generally extend to all of spacetime. They are just going to give an approximately Minkowski picture in a small spacetime region.

Cosmological coordinates on the other hand are global. The expansion of space refers to those coordinates.

If I don’t misremember I wrote an Insight about this issue several years ago.
(Edit: Indeed, here it is https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/coordinate-dependent-statements-expanding-universe/)

PhanthomJay said:
I don't particularly like the balloon analogy. And is time expanding also, being part of spacetime?
Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. The only relevant thing is how accurately it describes the theory. As far as analogies go, it is a surprisingly appropriate one for the description using cosmological coordinates.

(Cosmological) time is the parameter on which the expansion depends. It would make no sense to talk about time itself expanding. That said, there are coordinates where also the time part of the metric is multiplied by a scale factor. However, this can be removed by trivial scaling.

Likes PhanthomJay and PeroK
Once again, I want to thank you all for your time and responses. I've said it several times, but I'll say it again, you all are amazing geniuses in this field!

And I still miss Marcus.

Likes Drakkith
PhanthomJay said:
Once again, I want to thank you all for your time and responses.
OK, now answer us this: where did you disappear to for 387 days? (from Jul 8 '22 till Jul 30 '23)

Likes PhanthomJay
PeroK said:
More generally, the coordinate-free description is that spacetime is curved.
I suppose this implies that an expanding flat space corresponds to a curved spacetime. That's right?

DaveC426913 said:
OK, now answer us this: where did you disappear to for 387 days? (from Jul 8 '22 till Jul 30 '23)
Hah, Dave , nice sense of humor! And good research! I've had some issues this past year, hope to be a regular again.

When is the next full moon over the horizon?:wink:

Likes pinball1970 and Drakkith
Jaime Rudas said:
I suppose this implies that an expanding flat space corresponds to a curved spacetime. That's right?
In general, yes. There are however some pathological counter examples. The best fit Lambda-CDM model of our universe not counting among those examples.

Likes vanhees71 and Jaime Rudas
Jaime Rudas said:
Here is the curvature of that spacetime, according to Wikipedia:

1698493639152.png

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Hill said:
Here is the curvature of that spacetime
One clarification is probably appropriate here: what you quoted from Wikipedia only gives the Ricci tensor, which is only a piece of the Riemann tensor. But in this particular case, the other piece of the Riemann tensor, the Weyl tensor, is zero, so the Ricci tensor does capture all of the spacetime curvature. In general that will not be the case.

Likes vanhees71, Hill and Orodruin
PeterDonis said:
One clarification is probably appropriate here: what you quoted from Wikipedia only gives the Ricci tensor, which is only a piece of the Riemann tensor. But in this particular case, the other piece of the Riemann tensor, the Weyl tensor, is zero, so the Ricci tensor does capture all of the spacetime curvature. In general that will not be the case.
Thanks a lot. I wondered about the rest of Riemann tensor. Should've asked.

1. How does space-time expansion debunk the idea of non-physical space?

Space-time expansion refers to the idea that the fabric of space-time itself is expanding, carrying galaxies and other matter along with it. This implies that space is a physical entity that can expand, rather than just a non-physical backdrop for objects to exist in.

2. What evidence supports the concept of space-time expansion?

One of the key lines of evidence for space-time expansion is the observation that distant galaxies are moving away from us at speeds proportional to their distance. This is known as Hubble's Law, and it suggests that the universe is expanding uniformly in all directions.

3. How does space-time expansion relate to the Big Bang theory?

The concept of space-time expansion is closely tied to the Big Bang theory, which posits that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The idea of an expanding universe provides a natural explanation for the observed redshift of distant galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. Does space-time expansion imply that the universe is infinite?

While space-time expansion suggests that the universe is expanding, it does not necessarily mean that the universe is infinite. The expansion could be occurring within a finite volume of space, or the universe could be infinite in extent but still expanding.

5. How does understanding space-time expansion impact our understanding of the nature of the universe?

Understanding space-time expansion has profound implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe is not static, but dynamic and evolving. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the nature of space and time themselves.