Understanding stress analysis of truss bridges

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the concept of truss bridges and where the maximum stress would be located in a single span truss bridge if it was evenly loaded. They also ask for clarification on whether their assumption that the maximum stress would be at the ends of the bridge is correct. The individual also mentions a homework problem related to analyzing the stress of a truss bridge and asks for help understanding where the first point of failure is likely to occur and if the results obtained from the analysis will accurately reflect real-life scenarios. They provide diagrams and equations for reference and ask for assistance in comparing the accuracy of the results based on the diagrams provided.
Smushiehippo
Homework Statement
analysis stress of truss bridge.
Relevant Equations
none
Hi

im trying to understand truss bridges.
Where would max stress be in single span truss bridge if it was evenly loaded across the bridge?

I thought single span truss bridge, max stress would be in the ends of the bridge. it would act like a simple supported beam with max bending motion being in centre. the truss would be located in the to chords of the beams.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smushiehippo said:
Homework Statement:: analysis stress of truss bridge.
Relevant Equations:: none

Hi

Where would max stress be in single span truss bridge if it was evenly loaded across the bridge?
A diagram indicating what you are trying to ask would be helpful. A truss is a group of structural members which can have any number of configurations.
Smushiehippo said:
I thought single span truss bridge, max stress would be in the ends of the bridge.
In a simply supported beam (with constant section modulus) the max normal stress occurs where the maximum bending moment occurs.

https://aboutcivil.org/simply-supported-UDL-beam-formulas-bending-moment-equations.html

Smushiehippo said:
Homework Statement:: analysis stress of truss bridge.

Is this question in relation to your other thread about FEA stress calculations? It would be nice if you replied in that other thread instead of creating new ones...

Smushiehippo said:
Homework Statement:: Explain where the first point of failure is likely to originate, and why.

An analysis of the studies, do you think that they will be an accurate representation of what will happen in practice?

Hi

Im slightly stuck not sure what i put is ok.

FEA was used to carry out analysis on 3 structures and diagram results obtain (no data)
Explain where the first point of failure is likely to originate, and why.
An analysis of the studies, do you think that they will be an accurate representation of what will happen in practice?

Red indicates high stress and blue indicates low stress

For the (i) there is high stress at both ends and low stress in center. I believe 1st point of failure would be at centre (blue area) and not indicated on diagram of high stress (red). Trusses support the bridge and take the majority of the load and stresses. Blue section centre of the bridge and where load and stress will be most concentrated. contentrated stresses and loading will likely fatigue in beam.

For the (ii) there is high stress at each blade and low stress at the base. I believe 1st point of failure would be at blade (red). Impeller blade are the thinest point on the structure. strength in this area is lowest compared to base. excess high vibration could lead to fatigue and first point of failure.

For the (iii) there is high close to the small end and low stress in big end. I believe 1st point of failure would be at small end (red). connecting rod under goes compression and tension in operation. high speed causing high rpm lead to stretching of the rod leading to failure.

Im stuck on comparing accurcy. I believe (i) is inaccurate but (ii and iii) are accurate. how do i compare accuracy with only pics and no data. im not 100% what each pic is showing, eg compression, tension, deformation.

View attachment 323235
View attachment 323236
View attachment 323237

1678715744580.png

erobz said:
A diagram indicating what you are trying to ask would be helpful. A truss is a group of structural members which can have any number of configurations.

In a simply supported beam (with constant section modulus) the max normal stress occurs where the maximum bending moment occurs.

https://aboutcivil.org/simply-supported-UDL-beam-formulas-bending-moment-equations.html
I was trying to work out the FEA diagram is accurate, only have diagram. wheather the stress are in right places, wheather this is normal for truss bridge. red max stress, blue lowest.

1678715641337.png

1. What is stress analysis of truss bridges?

Stress analysis of truss bridges is the process of determining the internal forces and stresses within the structural members of a truss bridge. This is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the bridge.

2. Why is stress analysis important for truss bridges?

Stress analysis is important for truss bridges because it helps engineers understand how the bridge will behave under different loads and weather conditions. This information can be used to design a bridge that is strong and durable enough to support its intended use.

3. What factors are considered in stress analysis of truss bridges?

Several factors are considered in stress analysis of truss bridges, including the type of truss used, the materials used, the geometry of the bridge, and the expected loads and environmental conditions the bridge will face.

4. How is stress analysis of truss bridges performed?

Stress analysis of truss bridges is typically performed using computer software that can simulate the behavior of the bridge under different conditions. This software takes into account the structural properties of the truss members and calculates the internal forces and stresses within the bridge.

5. What are the potential consequences of not performing stress analysis on a truss bridge?

Not performing stress analysis on a truss bridge can lead to structural failure, which can result in serious accidents and injuries. It can also lead to unnecessary maintenance and repair costs, as well as a shorter lifespan for the bridge.