US - where to get loan for Masters degree?

In summary: Zz.I suggest contacting your school financia aid office and asking them what to do. They will be more than happy to help you out. Good luck!
catsarebad
hello,

where can i get loan for masters degree. i know some companies like discover give loan for graduate study but I'm curious what better options i have.

is it too late to fill fafsa and apply for federal loan?

Physics news on Phys.org
catsarebad said:
hello,

where can i get loan for masters degree. i know some companies like discover give loan for graduate study but I'm curious what better options i have.

It's not too late, contact your school financia aid office, and ask them what to do.
the Fafsa should take you a couple of minutes to deal with online.

okay thanks. any other decent alternatives?

catsarebad said:
okay thanks. any other decent alternatives?

alternatives to federal student loans?
Private ones, like the one Discover, Sallie Mae etc . . . offer.
Only Borrow from Private companies what you can't get from the Government.

catsarebad said:
hello,

You have given insufficient information for us to help you even more.

For example, what subject area are you intending to pursue your Masters degree in?

This can make a difference, because pursuing a graduate degree in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Engineering might open the possibility of you applying for a TA'ship to that school. In that case, your tuition and fees might be covered, while you also will receive some stipend.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You have given insufficient information for us to help you even more.

For example, what subject area are you intending to pursue your Masters degree in?

This can make a difference, because pursuing a graduate degree in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Engineering might open the possibility of you applying for a TA'ship to that school. In that case, your tuition and fees might be covered, while you also will receive some stipend.

Zz.

that rarely happens for a Msc degree, right?

Raioneru said:
that rarely happens for a Msc degree, right?

Why?

Any student pursuing a graduate degree has the same chance of receiving a TA'ship. I know of no policy in which M.Sc students are considered less than Ph.D students.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Why?

Any student pursuing a graduate degree has the same chance of receiving a TA'ship. I know of no policy in which M.Sc students are considered less than Ph.D students.

Zz.

yes but as a graduate student you're less likely to get these kind of positions if you only want to pursue a Msc degree. Are you aware there are a whole lot of universities in the US only interested in funding PhD students?

Raioneru said:
yes but as a graduate student you're less likely to get these kind of positions if you only want to pursue a Msc degree. Are you aware there are a whole lot of universities in the US only interested in funding PhD students?

Are you aware that many schools award a Masters on the way to a PhD, typically after a candidacy exam is passed?

Raioneru said:

Again, I want to see evidence for this.

I'm a faculty member. I know of no policy in place in which the TA award favors someone who is pursuing a PhD more than a M.Sc degree. So no, I am not aware of this non-existent policy.

Zz.

Are you aware that many schools award a Masters on the way to a PhD, typically after a candidacy exam is passed?

That's great and all but if you want to have a little thing called a job then a PhD is useless. Also, you will ruin your reputation with a university if you are RA funded and decide to take off after a masters. Also, a PhD is risky in the sense that if you do not like what you are doing then you are stuck with it for the next 5 years. A MSc at least allows you to learn more about what you like and it is a 2 year commitment.

Again, I want to see evidence for this.

I'm a faculty member. I know of no policy in place in which the TA award favors someone who is pursuing a PhD more than a M.Sc degree. So no, I am not aware of this non-existent policy.

Zz.

In my school TA funding is based off of GPA, which is fair. However, you will get laughed at if you expect to get an RA on a MSc. Also, do you have any idea how little a TA pays? Not enough to cover rent, food and gas per month. If you want to tell me I'm wrong about this, or suggest a solution, then I suggest you donate me 1600 dollars per semester.

Even if you get a TA, you won't be able to afford to live. My recommendation is apply for a student plus loan. It's what I had to do. https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

Aero51 said:
That's great and all but if you want to have a little thing called a job then a PhD is useless. Also, you will ruin your reputation with a university if you are RA funded and decide to take off after a masters. Also, a PhD is risky in the sense that if you do not like what you are doing then you are stuck with it for the next 5 years. A MSc at least allows you to learn more about what you like and it is a 2 year commitment.

In my school TA funding is based off of GPA, which is fair. However, you will get laughed at if you expect to get an RA on a MSc. Also, do you have any idea how little a TA pays? Not enough to cover rent, food and gas per month. If you want to tell me I'm wrong about this, or suggest a solution, then I suggest you donate me 1600 dollars per semester.

Even if you get a TA, you won't be able to afford to live. My recommendation is apply for a student plus loan. It's what I had to do. https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

You have lost all contact with the topic of this thread. It isn't about doing a phd vs masters, it isn't about getting an RA either.

Read carefully and pay attention before jumping in.

Zz.

I think that's pretty on topic. Also, it is important that the OP is aware of the things I mentioned earlier. I don't see how it's not related.

Aero51 said:
I think that's pretty on topic. Also, it is important that the OP is aware of the things I mentioned earlier. I don't see how it's not related.

Then out of your previous post, only ONE sentence was relevant to the topic, which means the rest can be deleted as off-topic rambling, ya?

Zz.

I'm not going to turn this into an argument, I'll message you

all I'm saying is, many schools won't admit you because they would rather have PhD students than people only seeking a Msc degree. I just assumed the same rationale was used when reviewing applications for TA/RA positions.
I also assumed that Funding is not unlimited and Departments would rather focus that money on people who plan on staying longer than others who are only interested in staying short term. I may have gone a bit overboard, but if I were in the OP's position I would get in touch with Msc students at the school of my choice to figure out how hard/easy it was for them to get a TA/RA position if they ever did.

Raioneru said:
all I'm saying is, many schools won't admit you because they would rather have PhD students than people only seeking a Msc degree.

But this is now a different issue, isn't it? You are now arguing about getting ADMITTED. That is not the topic being asked by the OP. Presumably, if he can't even get admitted, then worrying about paying for it is moot, and he wouldn't be asking where he would get the money! I can also play the speculation game. What if he's applying to a school that ONLY has a M.Sc program for that major as the highest awarded degree? I can point to you many schools here in the US that grant M.Sc degree in physics as being the highest degree awarded!

Do you see now what happens if you start making guesses and addressing something that wasn't asked? Remember the ORIGINAL QUESTION: "where can i get loan for masters degree." It didn't ask for how can I get admission and then pay for it.

Zz.

yup, it would help to know what programs has the OP been admitted to or is considering applying to.

@catsarebad if you read this.

1. How do I find out if I am eligible for a loan for a Masters degree in the US?

To determine if you are eligible for a loan for a Masters degree in the US, you should first research the specific loan options available to you. Different lenders and loan programs may have different eligibility requirements, so it is important to compare and contrast your options. Additionally, you may need to meet certain criteria such as having a good credit score, being a US citizen or permanent resident, and being enrolled in an accredited Masters program.

2. What types of loans are available for Masters degrees in the US?

There are several types of loans available for Masters degrees in the US, including federal loans, private loans, and institutional loans. Federal loans are offered by the government and typically have lower interest rates and more flexible repayment options. Private loans are offered by banks and other financial institutions and may have higher interest rates, but may also offer additional benefits such as loan forgiveness programs. Institutional loans are offered directly by the university or college you are attending and may have specific eligibility requirements and terms.

3. How much can I borrow for a Masters degree in the US?

The amount you can borrow for a Masters degree in the US will depend on the type of loan you choose, your financial need, and the cost of attendance at your chosen university. For federal loans, there are annual and aggregate loan limits that determine the maximum amount you can borrow. Private and institutional loans may have different limits and may also take into account your credit history and income. It is important to carefully consider your borrowing needs and only take out what you need to avoid excessive debt.

4. What is the interest rate for a loan for a Masters degree in the US?

The interest rate for a loan for a Masters degree in the US can vary depending on the type of loan, your credit score, and the lender. Federal loans typically have fixed interest rates, meaning they will not change over the life of the loan. Private and institutional loans may have variable interest rates, which means the interest rate can fluctuate over time. It is important to carefully review and compare interest rates when considering loan options.

5. How do I apply for a loan for a Masters degree in the US?

To apply for a loan for a Masters degree in the US, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for federal loans. Private and institutional loans may have their own application processes, which can typically be found on the lender's website. You will likely need to provide personal and financial information, as well as information about your chosen Masters program. It is important to carefully review and submit all required documents to ensure a timely and accurate loan application.