Van der Pol oscillator + Hopf bifurcation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on finding the curves in (u,a) space where Hopf bifurcations occur for a biased van der Pol oscillator. The equations for the 2D system are corrected and a method for solving the question is given, involving finding the fixed points and their corresponding eigenvalues.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Consider the biased van der Pol oscillator: [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=u (x^2-1)\frac{dx}{dt} + x = a[/tex]. Find the curves in (u,a) space at which Hopf bifurcations occur. (Strogatz 8.21)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even sure where to start with this question, other than turning it into a 2-d system. Any advice on how to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm attempting a very similar question. I've managed to turn it into a 2D system but haven't got much further.

dx/dt = y

dy/dt = u(x^2 -1)y + x

A Hopf bifurcation is one where, as you vary u, the eigenvalues of the Jacobian change from having a negative real component to having a positive real component.

I'll let you know if I make more progress.

I've just looked in Strogatz at question 8.21 and I think you've copied out the question incorrectly:
you wrote an equals sign between d^2x/dt^2 and u(x^2 -1)
but Strogratz wrote a plus.

Luckily, this means we're working on exactly the same question.
The equations for the 2D system are not as written above; insteat they are:

dx/dt = y

dy/dt = a - x - u(x^2 -1)y

I think I've answered the question. My method was as follows:

I wrote down the Jacobian and got an expression for its eigenvalues. I then found the fixed points. I found what the eigenvalues are at the fixed points. It's then just a matter of inspecting your solution, looking at the definition of a Hopf bifurcation and seeing what values u and a need to take.

Best of luck,
quantum boy

i took did the jacobian and got eigenvalues of 0 and u(a^2)-u...cause i found a fixed point of (a,0) from nullclines...now what do I do...

1. What is a Van der Pol oscillator?

A Van der Pol oscillator is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a non-linear oscillator. It was first proposed by Dutch physicist Balthasar van der Pol in 1926, and it is commonly used to study the behavior of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and biological systems.

2. What is a Hopf bifurcation?

A Hopf bifurcation is a type of qualitative change that occurs in a non-linear system when a parameter of the system passes a critical value. It results in the emergence of a stable limit cycle, or a periodic oscillation, from a stable equilibrium point.

3. How are the Van der Pol oscillator and Hopf bifurcation related?

The Van der Pol oscillator exhibits a Hopf bifurcation when the damping parameter crosses a critical value, resulting in the emergence of a stable limit cycle. This makes it a useful model for studying the dynamics of systems that undergo Hopf bifurcations.

4. What are some applications of the Van der Pol oscillator and Hopf bifurcation?

The Van der Pol oscillator and Hopf bifurcation have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and brain activity. They can also be used to model biological systems, such as the behavior of neurons and cell signaling pathways.

5. How can the behavior of a Van der Pol oscillator and Hopf bifurcation be analyzed?

The behavior of a Van der Pol oscillator and Hopf bifurcation can be analyzed using mathematical techniques, such as phase plane analysis and bifurcation theory. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to study the dynamics of these systems and verify theoretical predictions.