Variations of a parameter in a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to derive an equation by substituting a_{1} with a_{1} +\Delta a_{1} in the first equation and trying to subtract it from another equation. The speaker is unsure if the input u(t) remains the same and if it relates to the homogeneous equation. There is a mention of a real system with parameters a_{1}, b_{0}, and b_{1}, and the faults \Delta a_{1}, \Delta b_{0}, and \Delta b_{1} on these parameters. The context of the conversation is likely related to a lecture, where the professor mentioned that the parameters change slowly.
themagiciant95
Homework Statement
I have this differential equation:

[tex]a_{1}\dot{y}(t)+y(t)=b_{0}u(t)+b_{1}\dot{u}(t)[/tex]

and my prof, during a lesson, said that from this equation it's possible to derive that:

[tex]\Delta y(t)=-\Delta a_{1}\dot{y}(t)[/tex]
Relevant Equations
(Homework Equations are already stated)
I tried to derive this by myself but I'm stuck. What i did it to substitute [itex] a_{1}[/itex] with [itex] a_{1} +\Delta a_{1}[/itex] in the first equation, getting:

[tex](a_{1}+\Delta a_{1})\dot{y}(t)+y(t)=b_{0}u(t)+b_{1}\dot{u}(t)[/tex]

and trying to subtract [itex]a_{1}\dot{y}(t)+y(t)=b_{0}u(t)+b_{1}\dot{u}(t)[/itex] to it. But it's not the right way. Can you help me ?

Ps: i think i have to make the assumption the input u(t) remains the same, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I must admit, it looks a bit random to me. Are ##a_1, b_0, b_1## constants?

Are you sure it doesn't relate to the homogeneous equation?

Yes, let's suppose that its a real system with the parameters [itex]a_{1},b_{0}, b_{1}[/itex], output y(t) and input x(t) and [itex]\Delta a_{1},\Delta b_{0},\Delta b_{1}[/itex] are faults the parameters

themagiciant95 said:
Yes, let's suppose that its a real system with the parameters [itex]a_{1},b_{0}, b_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta a_{1},\Delta b_{0},\Delta b_{1}[/itex] are faults on this parameters

In general, I can't say it makes much sense to me. There must be something in the context of the lecture.

My prof also said to conjecture that the parameters change really slowly

1. What is a parameter in a differential equation?

A parameter in a differential equation is a constant value that affects the behavior of the equation. It can represent physical quantities such as time or distance, or it can be a numerical value that influences the solution of the equation.

2. How do variations in a parameter affect the solution of a differential equation?

Variations in a parameter can have a significant impact on the solution of a differential equation. Small changes in a parameter can result in significant changes in the behavior of the equation, leading to different solutions or even instability.

3. Can multiple parameters be varied in a single differential equation?

Yes, multiple parameters can be varied in a single differential equation. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the equation and its behavior, as different combinations of parameter values can lead to different solutions.

4. How do variations in a parameter affect the stability of a differential equation?

Variations in a parameter can greatly impact the stability of a differential equation. In some cases, small changes in a parameter can lead to unstable solutions, while in other cases, the stability of the equation may be improved by varying a parameter.

5. What techniques can be used to analyze variations of a parameter in a differential equation?

There are several techniques that can be used to analyze variations of a parameter in a differential equation. Some common methods include graphical analysis, numerical simulation, and analytical methods such as perturbation theory or phase plane analysis.