Verifying the Partition Function of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation is about deriving Z for the quantum harmonic oscillator and ensuring that the exponential traces are used correctly. The result for Z is derived using the power series representation of the exponential and Schrodinger's equation. The result is equal to \frac{e^{-\frac{1}{2}\beta\hbar \omega}}{1-e^{-\beta\hbar\omega}}, which is confirmed to be correct. The topic should be discussed in the Quantum sub-forum instead of the Classical sub-forum.
unchained1978
I've derived Z for the quantum harmonic oscillator and was wondering if anyone could verify I did everything correctly. I don't have any experience working with exponential traces so I want to make sure I'm using them correctly.
Z is defined as [itex]\mathcal{Z}= tr(e^{-\beta H})[/itex].
So the natural thing to do is write the exponential as a power series [itex]e^{-\beta H}=\sum \frac{(-\beta H)^{n}}{n!}[/itex] and using schrodinger's equation [itex] H|\psi\rangle = E |\psi\rangle[/itex] this gives you [itex]e^{-\beta H}|\psi\rangle=\sum \frac{(-\beta E)^{n}}{n!}|\psi\rangle→tr(e^{-\beta H})=\sum_{n} e^{-\beta E_{n}}[/itex]
Writing out the energy levels this gives [itex]e^{-\frac{1}{2}\beta \hbar\omega}\sum_{n} e^{-\beta\hbar\omega n}[/itex] Which when summed over gives [itex]\mathcal{Z}=\frac{e^{\frac{1}{2}\beta \hbar\omega}}{e^{\beta\hbar\omega}-1}[/itex]
Which is the right result I think. I'm just a bit nervous about the trace argument.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got
[tex]
\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{2}\beta\hbar \omega}}{1-e^{-\beta\hbar\omega}}
[/tex]
also this should be in the Quantum sub-forum, not Classical.

Both are equal. Multiply the numerator and denominator by [itex]e^{\beta \hbar \omega}[/itex] to get the first result from the second.

Related to Verifying the Partition Function of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is the partition function of the QHO?

The partition function of the QHO (Quantum Harmonic Oscillator) is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy levels in a system. It is denoted by the symbol Z and is defined as the sum over all possible energy states of the system, weighted by the Boltzmann factor.

2. How is the partition function of the QHO calculated?

The partition function of the QHO can be calculated using the following formula: Z = Σe^(-E/kT), where E is the energy of each state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in the QHO?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the thermodynamic properties of a system. In the QHO, it helps determine the probability of the system being in a particular energy state at a given temperature.

4. How does the partition function of the QHO relate to the energy levels of the system?

The partition function is directly related to the energy levels of the QHO system. As the temperature increases, the Boltzmann factor decreases and more energy states become accessible, resulting in a higher partition function and a broader distribution of energy levels.

5. Can the partition function of the QHO be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties?

Yes, the partition function can be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties such as the average energy, heat capacity, and entropy of the QHO system. These properties can be derived from the partition function using the appropriate mathematical relationships.