Want to Design and Build Your Own Circuits? Any Book Suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about an individual who wants to learn about electronics and design and build circuits. They have a basic background in EE but want to learn more about the tricks and details of circuits and integrated circuits. They are looking for book recommendations and are suggested to read "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, which is known for its comprehensive coverage of electronics and practical advice for building circuits.
Curl
I'm an M.E. and I want to learn about electronics to the point where I can design and build circuits that do what I want. Right now I have only a very basic background from undergrad EE courses, I know a bit about opamps and transistors and diodes and transformers and the E&M physics theory and that's about it.
I need to learn the tricks and details about circuits, so is there any book that is suitable for this? I also want to learn about the integrated circuits out there that are common and useful, and how to use them. Are Schaum's outline books a good bet?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll learn 100X faster by doing than by reading.

Look into some hobby sites.

Buy a "solderless breadboard" and build something for fun, or perhaps an electronic hobby kit.

"Big Ear" kit plus an old satellite dish makes a fun first project..

http://www.rainbowkits.com/kits/instructions/AA1.pdf

Likes scottdave
I have a breadboard and I made a few projects in the past, but what I feel I'm lacking is more knowledge about how the circuit elements and ICs work. Before I can build anything I have to draw it out first - so I need to learn more theory, e.g. such things as saturation, response delay, breakdown... I don't really know what I'm talking about but hopefully you understand what I'm asking.

Curl said:
I'm an M.E. and I want to learn about electronics to the point where I can design and build circuits that do what I want. Right now I have only a very basic background from undergrad EE courses, I know a bit about opamps and transistors and diodes and transformers and the E&M physics theory and that's about it.
I need to learn the tricks and details about circuits, so is there any book that is suitable for this? I also want to learn about the integrated circuits out there that are common and useful, and how to use them. Are Schaum's outline books a good bet?
Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can take a look at it at your local university library or technical bookstore. It's pretty good for self study, and if you read it cover to cover, you will have a good basic understanding about how to put circuits together.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
I like the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can take a look at it at your local university library or technical bookstore. It's pretty good for self study, and if you read it cover to cover, you will have a good basic understanding about how to put circuits together.

Got it, awesome book. Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curl said:
Got it, awesome book. Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Great! :smile:

BTW -- We had a fun thread here in the EE forum a while back that was based on one of the features of the AoE book:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

Check it out when you get a chance...

1. What is self learning in EE basics?

Self learning in EE basics refers to the process of acquiring knowledge and understanding of electrical engineering principles and concepts through independent study and practice, rather than through traditional classroom instruction.

2. How can I start learning EE basics on my own?

To start learning EE basics on your own, you can begin by familiarizing yourself with basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and calculus. You can also find online resources, textbooks, and tutorials to guide your learning. It's important to have a strong foundation in math before delving into EE basics.

3. What are the benefits of self learning EE basics?

Self learning EE basics allows you to learn at your own pace and focus on areas that interest you the most. It also helps to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are essential in the field of electrical engineering.

4. Are there any specific tools or equipment needed for self learning EE basics?

While having access to laboratory equipment and software can be helpful, it is not necessary for self learning EE basics. Many online resources and textbooks provide simulations and demonstrations that can be used for learning without physical equipment.

5. Can I become an electrical engineer through self learning EE basics?

Self learning EE basics can provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, but it is not a substitute for a formal education. To become a professional electrical engineer, a degree from an accredited university is typically required. However, self learning can supplement and enhance your understanding and preparation for a career in electrical engineering.