What Are Graduate Level Math Classes Like?

In summary, graduate math classes are focused on problem solving and proofs, with a greater emphasis on understanding and analyzing the material. Class discussions may involve analyzing research papers and classic texts. Professors may call on students to answer questions, but usually wait for volunteers. To adjust to graduate math courses, it is important to fully understand the material and form study groups with classmates. Don't be discouraged by challenging material, with hard work and practice, you will succeed.
drewnyl
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am entering grad school in math in fall 2010. I graduated university over 25 years ago majoring in math. My day job doesn't require the use of advanced math so I was hesitant about applying since my math skills have gotten a bit rusty. Though during the past few months I've read through a few upper level undergraduate math textbooks and I seem to be doing fine, however it's probably going to take some time to get used to doing advanced math for a good portion of my day. In all, I'm anxious to get started though I'm a bit nervous as well. Would anyone mind describing what graduate level math classes are like? I'm sure it varies by school and course, though if you can describe the basic structure of grad math courses I would appreciate it. I was also wondering... do the professors in graduate courses in math call out member of the class to answer questions without them voulenteering to answer (I used to hate when my high school teachers did this!). Any other knowledge you can provide that could help me adjust is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Graduate math classes can be quite different from undergraduate classes. Generally, the classes will be much more focused on problem solving and proofs rather than memorizing formulas and definitions. You will likely have to read papers and articles that are related to the topic being discussed in class; these papers may include research papers as well as classic texts. Class discussions will be more focused on analyzing the ideas presented and proving or disproving theories. The professor may call on students to answer questions, but usually they will wait for someone to volunteer. Also, the professor will often expect you to understand the material on a much deeper level than in an undergraduate course. In terms of adjusting to graduate math classes, it is important to take the time to really understand the material. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class and during office hours. It is also beneficial to form study groups with your classmates to help each other work through challenging problems. Finally, don't be discouraged if some of the material is difficult. With practice and hard work, you will soon find that you can understand complex mathematical concepts. Good luck!

Related to What Are Graduate Level Math Classes Like?

1. What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Attending graduate school can provide a deeper understanding and mastery of a particular subject, increased job opportunities and earning potential, and the opportunity to network with professionals in your field.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program varies depending on the specific degree and field of study. Generally, a master's degree takes 1-2 years to complete and a doctoral degree takes 3-7 years.

3. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program include the reputation and accreditation of the institution, the faculty and their research interests, the program's curriculum and coursework, and the availability of financial aid and resources.

4. Can I work while attending graduate school?

Many graduate programs allow students to work while completing their studies. However, the workload and time commitment of graduate school can make it challenging to balance a job and academic responsibilities. It is important to carefully consider the demands of both before making a decision.

5. How do I prepare for the application process for graduate school?

Some steps to prepare for the graduate school application process include researching programs and their requirements, studying for and taking any necessary entrance exams, obtaining letters of recommendation, and writing a strong personal statement. It is also important to plan for and meet any application deadlines.