What areas of math do you need to know in order to understand calculus

In summary, to understand calculus, one can start with "Basic Mathematics" by Lang which covers elementary math in a concise manner. If this is too difficult, books by Gelfand, such as "Trigonometry" and "Functions and Graphs", can be helpful. It is also recommended to work through Euclid's geometry and to check out the notes for epsilon camp on the website provided.
TorqueDork
What areas of math do you need to know in order to understand calculus? Let's assume all I have is up to a 6th grade education. Can you tell me what and how I might learn these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on what you mean with "understand". This isn't just a smartass comment though. You can easily pick up "calculus made easy" and work through it. You won't need much prerequisite knowledge. On the other hand, you have understanding at the level of Spivak's calculus, this requires a lot more effort and prerequisite knowledge.

A good book here is "Basic Mathematics" by Lang. This book contains everything you need in order to start learning calculus. It covers elementary mathematics in a concise and non-spoonfeeding manner. However, if you've never seen these kind of mathematics before, then this book might be difficult.

If the book is too difficult, then I highly recommend the books by Gelfand. Here is the first volume: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20
He has other books on trigonometry, functions and graphs, method of coordinates. It would be good to work through all of these books before starting calculus. And it would be good to work through Lang too.

Last edited by a moderator:
algebra, geometry are basic, then trig and logs/exp are useful. have you read euclid's geometry? that is helpful. check out my notes for epsilon camp on my web site:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/camp2011/10.pdf

micromass said:
It all depends on what you mean with "understand". This isn't just a smartass comment though. You can easily pick up "calculus made easy" and work through it. You won't need much prerequisite knowledge. On the other hand, you have understanding at the level of Spivak's calculus, this requires a lot more effort and prerequisite knowledge.

A good book here is "Basic Mathematics" by Lang. This book contains everything you need in order to start learning calculus. It covers elementary mathematics in a concise and non-spoonfeeding manner. However, if you've never seen these kind of mathematics before, then this book might be difficult.

If the book is too difficult, then I highly recommend the books by Gelfand. Here is the first volume: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20
He has other books on trigonometry, functions and graphs, method of coordinates. It would be good to work through all of these books before starting calculus. And it would be good to work through Lang too.
Thanks so much! I am going with the latter book followed by Lang's

In order to understand calculus, you will need to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. These concepts are typically covered in the early years of education, up to 6th grade. From there, you will need to learn more advanced concepts such as trigonometry, logarithms, and exponential functions. These may be introduced in a pre-calculus course or through independent study.

One way to learn these concepts is to take a pre-calculus course at your school or through an online platform. You can also find resources such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems online to supplement your learning. Additionally, working with a tutor or seeking help from a math teacher can also be beneficial.

It is important to note that understanding calculus also requires a solid understanding of problem-solving and critical thinking skills. These can be developed through practice and application of mathematical concepts.

Overall, learning calculus requires dedication and a willingness to learn and understand mathematical concepts. With the right resources and support, it is possible to build a strong foundation in math and eventually grasp the concepts of calculus.

Related to What areas of math do you need to know in order to understand calculus

1. What are the basic concepts of algebra that are necessary for understanding calculus?

Understanding algebraic concepts such as variables, functions, equations, and graphs is crucial for comprehending calculus. These concepts are used to express and manipulate mathematical relationships and are the foundation for understanding calculus.

2. Do I need to know trigonometry to understand calculus?

Yes, a basic understanding of trigonometry is important for grasping the concepts of calculus. Trigonometry involves the study of triangles and their relationships, which are essential for understanding many calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals.

3. Can I learn calculus without a strong background in geometry?

While a strong foundation in geometry can be helpful, it is not a prerequisite for learning calculus. However, some geometric concepts, such as visualization and spatial reasoning, can aid in understanding certain calculus concepts.

4. Are there any specific topics in pre-calculus that are necessary for understanding calculus?

Yes, some important topics in pre-calculus that are necessary for understanding calculus include functions, limits, and the properties of different types of functions (such as polynomial, exponential, and logarithmic functions).

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in statistics for learning calculus?

No, a strong background in statistics is not necessary for understanding calculus. However, having some knowledge of basic statistical concepts and functions (such as mean, median, and standard deviation) can be helpful in certain applications of calculus.