What Do American Girls Look for in a Man?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, there is no definitive answer to what American girls like in a man as preferences can vary greatly among individuals. However, some girls may prefer traditional values such as waiting until marriage for sex and avoiding taboo topics like abortion, while others may be more open and unconventional. The most desirable trait for American women may be the ability to make them laugh consistently. Additionally, there are no specific taboos that should be avoided in conversation, but it's important to be respectful and mindful of others' sensitivities.
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, Carvey is the blonde guy of the "Wayne's" duo.
And I'm talking about the father of the current US president, not the clown currently known as President Bush.
Ah, as indicated by the words "the first". Long day, bit scattered.

Physics news on Phys.org
El Hombre Invisible said:
Oh, I just noticed your middle name is Rose. Hmmm hmm hmm HM!
He was talking to me when he said that. Although, he did just threaten to give me a jolly good spanking.

hmmmm...

Ah, as indicated by the words "the first". Long day, bit scattered.
Rub some of that heat lotion on the hunchback and settle back in the lounge chair for a rest. Don't think about Haitian coconuts.

That's all well and good, but we want girls.
Unless you're under 18, that could be a problem.

Like Patty, I get rather ruffled when someone calls a grown woman a "girl." And when I'm looking for a man, that's what I look for, a man, not a boy. I look for maturity and honesty, someone who does what needs doing without requiring instruction, who has a sense of responsibilities and does them without whining. The laughter part is true, but to the extent that if you are compatible in terms of how you think and do things and approach life in general, your sense of humor should be very compatible too. If some guy is running around doing prat falls to try to make me laugh, he's really missed the mark, and I'm going to look at him like he's an idiot and walk away.

Wolram, despite all the advice of the misguided young men around here, I suspect American women are not very different from British women. Every woman is an individual, thus the most important thing is to listen and learn what the specific woman you wish to date considers humorous, considerate, expected, or taboo. If you hit upon a taboo accidentally, you'll know as long as you're paying attention - she'll get a bristley or agitated or tense; if you suddenly notice the conversation changes from jovial chit-chat to terse, one word answers and no laughter or smiling, you've touched a nerve. The best thing to do is quickly apologize and back away from the topic, far far far away, and never return to it.

wolram said:
Well she could be, and i think i need help,and lots and lots of it, you see i dont
think I am good enough for her, and i just told her all about me, and i told the
truth, i am waiting for a pm but it is hours since i sent mine.
Come on!there's not any man who's good enough for any girl! :wink: how can I help you? o:)

wolram said:
Well she could be, and i think i need help,and lots and lots of it, you see i dont
think I am good enough for her, and i just told her all about me, and i told the
Oh, I'm anxious now. You'll both be lucky if she feels the same. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Oh, I'm anxious now. You'll both be lucky if she feels the same. :smile:
He's toast. He got his hopes all up before he even told her. He should pray, and we should pray for him.

Lisa! said:
Come on!there's not any man who's good enough for any girl! :wink: how can I help you? o:)

well you could say nice things about me, its a long long long time since i did
anything bad, so you won't be telling fibs.

wolram said:
Your niceness is obvious to all, Wolram. I just fear you've let yourself fall too far before even telling her of your interest.

wolram said:
Uh oh! She's on this forum, and you've told all of us your feelings before she's confirmed a mutual interest? We should promptly ask Evo to lock this thread up tight before you get in any more trouble! :biggrin: Some people like to keep at least certain parts of their private life private, and if she's one of them, it may not help your case to have everyone on the board inquiring about the nature of your relationship.

Folks, give poor Wolram a chance and cease inquiring about his woman friend before she gets scared and runs away. It would be very poor form for him to reveal who she is publicly if she does not wish to be announced in such a way.

zoobyshoe said:
Your niceness is obvious to all, Wolram. I just fear you've let yourself fall too far before even telling her of your interest.

Stupid, stupid ,bone headed ,thick, did i mention stupid, fell free to add.

Oh, yes, we should respect their privacy. I didn't expect him to tell us who she was, and he said he wouldn't anyway. I don't think he's done anything wrong.

wolram said:
Ok I'll do but you're lying about doing nothing bad recently but since we don't have Pinocchio as a smily,I feel free to tell any lie!and please answer my question:your threads about chitchat and good person test have no relation with impressing your girl, do they?

1.wolram is so handsome!I haven't seen any photo of him!
2.He loves traveling!
3.He never pick his nose in public!
4.he's the massanger of hope!
5.he has a daughter whose name is Kia

I'll tell you more! :wink:

honestrosewater said:
Oh, yes, we should respect their privacy. I didn't expect him to tell us who she was, and he said he wouldn't anyway. I don't think he's done anything wrong.
Even if we don't know who she is, she knows who she is, and if she's reading along seeing all the things people are writing about her, especially if she's uncomfortable to the point she won't speak up to defend herself against inaccuracies, then it can be very embarrassing to be the subject of the conversation.

Maybe I'm still old-fashioned about these things, but I, and I expect some others, consider a public announcement of one's relationship status to be a sign of a rather strong committment. It's something you do after you get to know someone and have dated for a bit and are ready to announce that it is now appropriate to invite them as a couple to gatherings and such. It comes somewhere after dating and before engagement.

It also puts the woman in question in a rather awkward position. There is now no way to turn down Wolram without causing him public embarrassment, so if she is not interested, does she just play along for a while, and possibly hurt him further by letting him think she's interested long enough to allow him to save face amidst everyone here, or does she turn him down and leave the poor fellow hanging his head in shame. I can only hope for both their sake that there is a mutual interest and she is not the sort of person who would be embarrassed by all this attention. If not, I'll have the tissue box ready for Wolram.

Moonbear said:
It also puts the woman in question in a rather awkward position. There is now no way to turn down Wolram without causing him public embarrassment, so if she is not interested, does she just play along for a while, and possibly hurt him further by letting him think she's interested long enough to allow him to save face amidst everyone here, or does she turn him down and leave the poor fellow hanging his head in shame. I can only hope for both their sake that there is a mutual interest and she is not the sort of person who would be embarrassed by all this attention. If not, I'll have the tissue box ready for Wolram.

It's you, isn't it!

:biggrin:

Urrrm, I'll get my coat...

Moonbear said:
Wolram, despite all the advice of the misguided young men around here, I suspect American women are not very different from British women. Every woman is an individual, thus the most important thing is to listen and learn what the specific woman you wish to date considers humorous, considerate, expected, or taboo. If you hit upon a taboo accidentally, you'll know as long as you're paying attention - she'll get a bristley or agitated or tense; if you suddenly notice the conversation changes from jovial chit-chat to terse, one word answers and no laughter or smiling, you've touched a nerve. The best thing to do is quickly apologize and back away from the topic, far far far away, and never return to it
I would venture that women (and men, obviously with some differences) are much the same the world over - at least its been my experience. Most people I know wish to be treated with respect. Humor in a relationhsip is important, and similarities in what both like or dislike helps. Honesty and openness are also key to a lasting and meaningful relationship.

Likely the recipient of the email (in the US) is working, so a reply, if forthcoming, would be this evening at the earliest (morning in UK). Perhaps the recipient will need to time to think of a response.

Moonbear said:
Maybe I'm still old-fashioned about these things, but I, and I expect some others, consider a public announcement of one's relationship status to be a sign of a rather strong committment. It's something you do after you get to know someone and have dated for a bit and are ready to announce that it is now appropriate to invite them as a couple to gatherings and such. It comes somewhere after dating and before engagement.
Not old fashioned - just appropriate. There is the matter of discretion.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Even if we don't know who she is, she knows who she is, and if she's reading along seeing all the things people are writing about her, especially if she's uncomfortable to the point she won't speak up to defend herself against inaccuracies, then it can be very embarrassing to be the subject of the conversation.

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but I don't see how it applies here. All wolram said is that he likes her. No one else needs to ever even know who she is or anything more about it. But, yes, it feels awkward now, and I'd rather just leave it alone. Sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable.

wolram said:
Stupid, stupid ,bone headed ,thick, did i mention stupid, fell free to add.
Yes, it's very risky to let yourself fall head over heals until you know the other party is going to participate. Not that I haven't been in your shoes once or twice. Maybe, actually, five or six, times. Or more. Maybe a lot more. Maybe that's the way I always react, but that doesn't mean you should.

I'm sure who ever it is, will remain true to her own nature, and keep it between the two of them.
I see the ladies here as honest and sincere. I wish you well Wolram, no matter what the out come.
Zooby said it best
Not that I haven't been in your shoes once or twice

brewnog said:
It's you, isn't it!
:rofl: No, but you may recall it was me with someone else and it ended somewhat badly here. That's probably why I'm more sensitive to it than others, because I was the one who felt cornered at one time.

If she's interested and simply wishes to stay anonymous, all will be okay (a gentleman never tells :wink:).

Moonbear said:
:rofl: No, but you may recall it was me with someone else and it ended somewhat badly here. That's probably why I'm more sensitive to it than others, because I was the one who felt cornered at one time.

If she's interested and simply wishes to stay anonymous, all will be okay (a gentleman never tells :wink:).

Nah, I don't recall that, perhaps it was before my time. These things usually go straight over my head, but that's probably because people generally know better than to tell me those kind of things.

So, anyway, I get the feeling that this thread needs to be subtly dragged off topic.

Does anyone like olives? :smile:

honestrosewater said:
He was talking to me when he said that. Although, he did just threaten to give me a jolly good spanking.

hmmmm...
Ha! Strike two for me I guess. I clearly got the wrong end of a very long stick.

zoobyshoe said:
Rub some of that heat lotion on the hunchback and settle back in the lounge chair for a rest. Don't think about Haitian coconuts.
To someone unaccustomed to our previous dialogue, that would sound very weird indeed.

brewnog said:
So, anyway, I get the feeling that this thread needs to be subtly dragged off topic.

Does anyone like olives? :smile:

Olives are good! But I only like the green ones and the Kalamata olives. None of those black ones for me. And they are, of course, best when dipped in just the right combination of gin and vermouth. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Unless you're under 18, that could be a problem.

Like Patty, I get rather ruffled when someone calls a grown woman a "girl." And when I'm looking for a man, that's what I look for, a man, not a boy.
Forgive us (that's me, wolram, and 95% of the English speaking population) for using the term too loosely for you. Given the wide usage from both sides of the gender divide ("I'm going out with my girlfriends"), we misguided young men did not guess how much we were offending you.

Woah! Hang on... Call me slow, but does 'pm' mean 'private message'? As in... the private message facility of PF forum? That can't be what wolram meant, surely.

Woah! Hang on... Call me slow, but does 'pm' mean 'private message'? As in... the private message facility of PF forum? That can't be what wolram meant, surely.

Unless he was waiting for Tony Blair to come knocking...

brewnog said:
Unless he was waiting for Tony Blair to come knocking...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now that would give a whole different meaning here. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To someone unaccustomed to our previous dialogue, that would sound very weird indeed.
I don't follow...?

Is that right? That can't be right? IS THAT RIGHT?!? There are... no words...

That is right, that's right, you heard me, this is the 100th post on this topic and I claim it. ;)

Earth Girls Are Easy

wolram said:
This may be a vague question, but what do american girls like in a man, do you
have any taboos, customs, are there any subjects that should be avoided?

yeah, loose the brain.

On the subject of olives...
I loved other elements of Mediterranean diets but couldn't stand the taste of olives, which play a huge role. So I tried to acquire a taste for olives. It's worked somewhat with black olives. I love some but don't really know much about olives and have chosen some really awful ones. The green olives I've tried were rubbery and far too salty. So I need an olive education. What should I look for when choosing olives? Which kinds should I try? Anyone know?

honestrosewater said:
On the subject of olives...
I loved other elements of Mediterranean diets but couldn't stand the taste of olives, which play a huge role. So I tried to acquire a taste for olives. It's worked somewhat with black olives. I love some but don't really know much about olives and have chosen some really awful ones. The green olives I've tried were rubbery and far too salty. So I need an olive education. What should I look for when choosing olives? Which kinds should I try? Anyone know?
Heh heh, yeah, I like the green olives because they are salty. It's like craving a pickle or potato chip, it's all about the salt. So, if you're not after salt, then skip the green ones. To me, the black ones taste like mushy mud. :yuck: I haven't tried vast varieties of olives, but my favorites so far are Kalamata olives (they look sort of pinkish). I usually find them packed in olive oil, so they don't have that salty brine (uh, yeah, I guess that's redundant) like the green ones have, and it supplements the flavor. They're the ones they put in Greek salads.

I don't like olives in cooked foods at all. To me, they are a snack food, not an ingredient, and can easily overtake a food if they are cooked into it (a very few olives in a dish can add an interesting flavor, but usually people include way too many and all you can taste are the olives).