What Do American Girls Look for in a Man?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, there is no definitive answer to what American girls like in a man as preferences can vary greatly among individuals. However, some girls may prefer traditional values such as waiting until marriage for sex and avoiding taboo topics like abortion, while others may be more open and unconventional. The most desirable trait for American women may be the ability to make them laugh consistently. Additionally, there are no specific taboos that should be avoided in conversation, but it's important to be respectful and mindful of others' sensitivities.
wolram said:
when i went to appleton, wisconsin i did nt have time to socialize, and you
wont believe, the lady at the hotel check in was english.

you were in Appleton, Wisconsin? I bet there is only a handful of people on here who have heard or been to Appleton and the amazing thing is one of them seems to be English. (I would be willing to wager the vast majority of the others who have been there are from the greater Green Bay area.)

Small world I guess. I grew up in De Pere- a suburb of Green Bay and I know the Appleton area pretty well. Too funny.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
"Chick" is a term that guys should only use around other guys, but I've found that a lot of chicks like being referred to as "babe". :devil: And the two girls I'm good friends with refer to me as "babe" all the time. I only rarely refer to them as "chicks" ('either of you chicks need another beer?').

Do Patty and I have to turn the heat back up in Philly again? :devil:

In all fairness to Russ, I reflect upon two things.

1. Russ has almost entered the 30-something period, and presumably dates women near his age, maybe older, and quite possibly slightly younger. While trying not to generalize, there does seem to be generational (and perhaps geographical) differences. The sensitivities of women in 30's, 40's, 50's and older, seem to be different than those of women in teens and 20's. I have seen it and women of different ages have made this observation. However, that does not give license to men of any age to use terms of endearment inappropriately, and by that I mean, men should not be familiar with those women with whom they are not.

2. The use of terms such as "babe" or "baby", has been ubiquitous in popular culture, and we are all aware how popular culture influences behavior. For example, 2nd song on Led Zepplin's first ablum, "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", and I distinctly remember a Jimi Hendrix song in which he sings "Hey babe." Again, this does not give license to men to use terms of endearment inappropriately.

The point at hand is "how to determine what is appropriate".

Simple - a man can simply ask a woman with whom he has contact!

BTW - If I used 'baby' in addressing my wife, she'd punch my lights out! :biggrin:

Actually she has told me not to use it in the past. The exception is 'poor baby' when she is ill or feeling poorly. Even then I rarely use that expression, even though she has said it is OK to do so in that circumstance.

I usually limit my use to 'Sweetheart'.

Oh, and I never make assumptions about what my wife is thinking - even after knowing her 25 years!

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
1. Russ just entered the 30-something period...
Hey, take that back! I'm 29, damnit!

russ_watters said:
Hey, take that back! I'm 29, damnit!
:rofl: I was counting time in gestation. :biggrin: Some people are so sensitive about their age. :biggrin:

Sorry, I jumped the gun. I was thinking of another thread in the past where you probably mentioned 'almost 30'.

Well, you're almost there.

Anyway, the point I made holds - younger women seem to have different senstivities - at least that has been my direct experience. I suspect however, that with age, sensitivities change.

So, how's the experiment coming?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
:rofl: I was counting time in gestation. :biggrin: Some people are so sensitive about their age. :biggrin:
I always hear women are so sensitive about their ages and they never tell the truth about it! :grumpy: but base on my experiment men are worse in this case! :wink:

Lisa! said:
I always hear women are so sensitive about their ages and they never tell the truth about it! :grumpy: but base on my experiment men are worse in this case! :wink:
At risk of generalizing, I suspect only superficial people lie about their age. Some may choose not to disclose their age, for a variety of reasons (including that it's rude to ask them in the first place), but to outright lie seems superficial. I have no problem sharing my age, as long as I can remember what it is...keeps changing every year, and when the years start going by faster, it gets harder to keep track! :grumpy:

moonbear, that's not true...what about teenagers trying to buy alcohol?

yourdadonapogostick said:
moonbear, that's not true...what about teenagers trying to buy alcohol?

Okay, superficial or criminal. How's that? :biggrin:

(Okay, Russ, I heard that sigh of relief that the discussion is turning to age now.) :tongue2:

better...a little bit better...

So, should we go back to talking about olives? We only nauseated Dex on that topic I think. :biggrin: :rofl:

brewnog said:
Just stick
after everything you want to quote,

And stick
before!

You can also put
whoever you'd like to quote said:
in the first one, to quote whoever you'd like to quote.

Thanks, and thanks Evo. I jumped into this thread because I love the cultural differences I meet here in London. Its a wonderful place.

Norman said:
you were in Appleton, Wisconsin? I bet there is only a handful of people on here who have heard or been to Appleton and the amazing thing is one of them seems to be English. (I would be willing to wager the vast majority of the others who have been there are from the greater Green Bay area.)

Small world I guess. I grew up in De Pere- a suburb of Green Bay and I know the Appleton area pretty well. Too funny.

May be you can help me remember where the James river factory is?
its 20yrs or more since my visit, i remember one of the guys offered
to take me fishing at the week end :biggrin: but i had to work :grumpy:

Evo said:
chick? Ohhhh. Not since I was in my teens. :devil: Same fate as saying "babe".

chickie babe will get you an even slower, more painful death.

Death by the hands of Evo, What a way to go :biggrin: i have never heard
a woman called a," chickie babe", May be that's an american term.
Is Moonbear still about? The ladies at the factory where i work like to be called girls but they are a wicked lot.

On an utterly unrelated note, has anyone seen today's Dilbert?

russ_watters said:

Poor Dilbert, he has to put up with so much.

russ_watters said:
:rofl: -Er, I mean- I don't get it. :uhh:

Evo said:
chick? Ohhhh. Not since I was in my teens. :devil: Same fate as saying "babe".
A guy I know always calls me chicky (or chickita) or babe, sometimes honeybunch or sweety :rofl:, he's a 'homey' and longtime friend so I just go with the flow.

Today a guy said "WOOOOOOOOW NICE BABE!" after my bf showed a pic of me :rofl:, I thought it was really funny, but someone saying that to my face certainly wouldn't get much respect from me.

Monique said:
A guy I know always calls me chicky (or chickita) or babe, sometimes honeybunch or sweety :rofl:, he's a 'homey' and longtime friend so I just go with the flow.

Today a guy said "WOOOOOOOOW NICE BABE!" after my bf showed a pic of me :rofl:, I thought it was really funny, but someone saying that to my face certainly wouldn't get much respect from me.

You females, some times you are just so hard to understand, one minute
your bitting our heads off, or planning a slow death for us, then you are
all nice :biggrin:

wolram said:
May be you can help me remember where the James river factory is?
its 20yrs or more since my visit, i remember one of the guys offered
to take me fishing at the week end :biggrin: but i had to work :grumpy:

Well being a good Green Bay kid, a lot of my family worked in the paper mills and I did too for summer work during my undergrad. James River was bought by Fort Howard Paper to form Fort James Paper about 10 (?) years ago. They are now based out of Green Bay.
Cheers,
Ryan

Norman said:
Well being a good Green Bay kid, a lot of my family worked in the paper mills and I did too for summer work during my undergrad. James River was bought by Fort Howard Paper to form Fort James Paper about 10 (?) years ago. They are now based out of Green Bay.
Cheers,
Ryan

Thankyou Ryan.

russ_watters said:
:rofl: :rofl:
Unrelated, huh? :tongue:

I remember the good old Spring days.. when we talked about beavers and merkins.. now all we do is some interpersonal mumbo jumbo and how to dress and talk in front of girls... sad, really really sad what summer does to the hormones :tongue2:

cronxeh said:
I remember the good old Spring days.. when we talked about beavers and merkins.. now all we do is some interpersonal mumbo jumbo and how to dress and talk in front of girls... sad, really really sad what summer does to the hormones :tongue2:

Okay, nobody's interested in olives. How about pickles? I like a really crunchy garlic pickle. :tongue2:

The deli kind, right?

Olives are great. Best kind is a mix - some marinated in oil have to be in the mix - and if you get them at a tapas bar even better. Side order of sausages and prosciutto. Yum! A little bruschetta would be good too.

Moonbear said:
Okay, nobody's interested in olives. How about pickles? I like a really crunchy garlic pickle. :tongue2:

I Love pickles, ginger and chili is yummy

Moonbear said:
I like black olives on pizza with other toppings.

I use chopped black olives and tomatoes in zucchini boats.

Astro, you should nt play with your food.

I use chopped black olives and tomatoes in zucchini boats.

pickles, ginger, pickled ginger,chili, rocket, corrianer and water cress ...mmmm

pattylou said:
Olives are great. Best kind is a mix - some marinated in oil have to be in the mix - and if you get them at a tapas bar even better. Side order of sausages and prosciutto. Yum! A little bruschetta would be good too.
Yep - I'll go for that. :tongue2:

pattylou, you have a tapas bar nearby?

Bringing this thread back OT -

"Don't speak to anyone with your mouth full (of food of course)" - at least not on the first date. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Mmmmmm...Tapas. My favorite restaurant of all time is a tapas place in NYC. Damn I miss that place.

Astronuc said:
pattylou, you have a tapas bar nearby?

Well, I live in California. We're atypical. I'm sure you've heard. :biggrin:

Tapas bars are big in San Francisco, there are a few near me (I'm outside LA) but it would be a drive and an event to go to one; and there are a few more in San Diego.

We've got sushi bars, too. Neat hunh? I don't recall any vegemite or other Aussie cuisine anywhere, however.

But I did catch a show on foodtv where they were making kangaroo sandwiches. :cry: How... How could you?? Poor little roo!

the best restaurant in chicago is Shwarma King...mmmm, shwarma

Hey - if you're in Chicago check out Topolabampos. And the Frontera grill.

The chef's cookbook is our bible on mexican cuisine. Excellent. Totally outstanding.

you may be tempted to go to Uno's...don't! they have the worst pizza...go to Giordano's(sp?)