What Do American Girls Look for in a Man?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, there is no definitive answer to what American girls like in a man as preferences can vary greatly among individuals. However, some girls may prefer traditional values such as waiting until marriage for sex and avoiding taboo topics like abortion, while others may be more open and unconventional. The most desirable trait for American women may be the ability to make them laugh consistently. Additionally, there are no specific taboos that should be avoided in conversation, but it's important to be respectful and mindful of others' sensitivities.
FredGarvin said:
Mmmmmm...Tapas. My favorite restaurant of all time is a tapas place in NYC. Damn I miss that place.
Address please!

pattylou said:
Well, I live in California. We're atypical. I'm sure you've heard. :biggrin:
I've noticed. :biggrin:

pattylou said:
Tapas bars are big in San Francisco, there are a few near me (I'm outside LA) but it would be a drive and an event to go to one; and there are a few more in San Diego.
I know of one near Del Mar north of SD - but it closed. :frown: Do you know of others. I get to SD quite a lot.

pattylou said:
We've got sushi bars, too. Neat hunh? I don't recall any vegemite or other Aussie cuisine anywhere, however.
I have to travel with my own supply. :biggrin: I also like Marmite.

pattylou said:
But I did catch a show on foodtv where they were making kangaroo sandwiches. How... How could you?? Poor little roo!
I had roo in Preston, England. Very good, very gamey and very chewy. :biggrin: In fact, it's the toughest meat I've had.

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL.

Yes, there is a Tapas bar in the center of San Diego - with Flamenco dancing downstairs. I'l need to surf for it - hang on -

http://uk.holidaysguide.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-161119-sevilla_restaurant_tapas_bar_san_diego-i

Sevilla. We were quite drunk when we went, and I don't remember much. LOL. I think it was good - except the Sangria was too sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall any vegemite or other Aussie cuisine anywhere, however. [/QUOTE]

Vegemite is readily available 'round these parts. So is American peanut butter. Must thank the American shopper at Waitrose who jumped in and saved me from a near purchase of English peanut butter when we first arrived here.

I had roo in Preston, England. Very good, very gamey and very chewy. In fact, it's the toughest meat I've had. - astro

Don't let anyone tell you that Crocodile is nice, either :yuck:

vegemite is the nastiest stuff ever. iirc, it is yeast extract?

Last edited:
yourdadonapogostick said:
vegemite is the nastiest stuff ever. iirc, it is yeast extract?

Yes, yeast extract, salt(and lots of it),potassium chloride, malt extract; that sort of thing.

ewww, *vomits at memory of eating vegemite*

ewww, *vomits at memory of eating vegemite*

high in vitamin B

and nastiness

Don't you guys combine peanut butter and jam? Why do you do that?

we don't combine them. i guess it is to keep the peanut butter from sticking to the top of the mouth

fi said:

Well, we all secretly prefer peanut butter and butter, but we're supposed to eat our fruits and vegetables.

So, jam.

I'm thinking there must be nicer ways to achive that, bananas perhaps?

you don't like jam?

In its place, jam is a good thing.

fi said:
I'm thinking there must be nicer ways to achive that, bananas perhaps?

eeewww. I'd heard about that.

how is that worse then the peanut butter/jam thing?

fi said:
In its place, jam is a good thing.

maybe you're just too used to marmalade... which goes bad with peanutbutter.. try some "berry" jam..much better

back at you- how can you slide a piece of watercress between 2 slices of bread and call that a sandwich?

Last edited:
how can you put vegemite between two slices of bread and call it anything but the devil?

Zantra said:
maybe you're just too used to marmalade... which goes bad with peanutbutter.. try some "berry" jam..much better

Actually not really used to anything with my peanut butter except butter, I wasn't thinking of marmalade becasue I usually think of marmalade because I don't really like it, except lime marmalade, but I would never have thought of that combination. When you say 'berry' jam, it makes me recall that there is also some differences in jams in America, there is jelly that usually is part of the abovedescribed hateful combination and then there is some other jam. Is this 'berry' jam the sort that lumpy stuff with fruit throughtout, which is what does come to mind when speaking of jam?

yes. jam has seeds and such in it; jelly doesn't.

fi said:
Actually not really used to anything with my peanut butter except butter, I wasn't thinking of marmalade becasue I usually think of marmalade because I don't really like it, except lime marmalade, but I would never have thought of that combination. When you say 'berry' jam, it makes me recall that there is also some differences in jams in America, there is jelly that usually is part of the abovedescribed hateful combination and then there is some other jam. Is this 'berry' jam the sort that lumpy stuff with fruit throughtout, which is what does come to mind when speaking of jam?

Sorry- as yourdad said, "jam" has seeds and is less refined- ie has pieces of the strawberry, boysenberry, blackberry, or whatever berrry, whereas jelly is smoother. I like marmalade on toast, but the rinds get annoying after a while, which is why they go badly with PB.

I used to eat a lot of peanut butter and butter sandwhiches when I was a child.. my grandmother was english.. didn't know it was an english thing.

Last edited:
i like strawberry jam and peanutbutter on waffles...mmm, waffles...

Ok, so the combo is a seedless, gelatinous substance with peanut better... sounds better. I guess I should try it sometime rather than assuming the worst.

fi said:
Ok, so the combo is a seedless, gelatinous substance with peanut better... sounds better. I guess I should try it sometime rather than assuming the worst.

Not for us.

We never buy jelly. We buy preserves - Strawberry or apricot usually - and the lumps are what make it taste like real food.

The peanut butter is crunchy (has nuts still) and the bread is whole grain.

For me, a banana has to be a particular ripeness and then to ruin it with peanut butter would be sacrilege. Banana splits would be a good use for bananas, and for overripe bananas, either banana bread or homemade smoothies (the banana adds a nice consistency to the yogurt and other ingredients.)

all hail the crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam!

fi said:
Seems to be a quaint American custom. Shocked me when I first encountered it. My wife and kids like it. I don't. :yuck:

On the other hand, I love Vegemite or Marmite sangers, on toast, on toast with cheese, on crackers with or without cheese, and a few others. I have encountered only a few Americans who can handle the stuff. Now to be fair, not all Australians like Vegemite.

I've proposed Vegemite as a standard test for Australian citizenship. If one can eat Vegemite, voluntarily of course, then one is automatically granted citizenship. :biggrin:

Cool about Sevilla - I'll check it out.

Don't let anyone tell you that Crocodile is nice, either - fi

I love crocodile and alligator too! :tongue2:

Don't get me wrong - I love roo and other gamey meats. I've had moose and elk in Sweden - with cloudberry sauce. :tongue2:

Last edited:
so, is that your plan to reduce australian immagration to 0 people per year?

so, is that your plan to reduce australian immagration to 0 people per year?
:rofl: No, I am just reacting to the aversion of most non-Aussies to Vegemite. I grew up on the stuff. I'll eat it by the spoonful.

For those who've not eaten it, a comparable substitute would be to suck on a beef boullion cube - without drinking water. I've done that too. :biggrin:

no, it's worse.

i've done that as well.

Are you trying to make us ill? A king sandwich, eeeew

fi said:

It's not bad, but it's more a sandwich for children. Personally, I never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I do enjoy just plain peanut butter sandwiches (along with a BIG glass of water or other beverage of course :tongue2:). I was never impressed by the peanut butter and banana sandwiches either, and I'm mildly disgusted by the suggestion here that one should add butter to their peanut butter sandwich. Why? :eek: Oh, though there's this really weird sandwich people eat here...well, usually kids eat, and nobody pretends it's a healthy lunch, more of a treat...called a fluffernutter sandwich...you get this stuff called Fluff, which is a creamy marshmallow substance (it's like spreadable marshmallow if you can even imagine that), and you put that on your peanut butter sandwich. It is tasty, but unless you have an insatiable sweet tooth, you're not going to eat much of it before you feel overdone on sugar. It's the sort of thing you might eat instead of candy as a treat that tricks kids into getting the healthy peanut butter and bread part by bribing them with the marshmallow-y, sweet part.

Here here! My favorite lunch (this exact combination). It is cheap and I can throw one together in a minute- two things no graduate student can withstand!
Cheers

Moonbear said:
I'm mildly disgusted by the suggestion here that one should add butter to their peanut butter sandwich. Why? :eek:

Well, because it adds more fat, of course.

Yum. Yum yum yum.

We've never tried Fluffernutters - they sound intriguing and remind me of rice crispy treats.

I used to eat sardine sandwiches when I first came to the US. All the kids around me thought it was horrible - except one. He was from Denmark.

Curried egg sandwich is another favorite.

Then there is honey and walnut.

And sliced or 'smooshed' banana.

thanks for the tips, I always felt I must be more adventurous in the kitchen, no more plain solely jam, solely peanut butter (did I mention 'skippy' is the american brand available here, do we like that?), solely banana, raisin, salad, ham, cheese sandwiches on wholegrain organic. The kids I'm sure will thank you.