What is a suitable substitution for this integration problem?

In summary, the question only requires a suitable substitution, not necessarily one involving trigonometric functions. Possible substitutions include u = √x or u = 1 + √x, but it is important to consider how to express dx in terms of u as well.
delsoo

Homework Statement

for this question, the question only stated SUITABLE substituition, what substituition should i use? this substituion does not involve trigo functions , am i right? P/S : I'm just asking opinion, not the full working.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0143~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0143~2[1].jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
delsoo said:

Homework Statement

for this question, the question only stated SUITABLE substituition, what substituition should i use? this substituion does not involve trigo functions , am i right? P/S : I'm just asking opinion, not the full working.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No, you don't need trig functions. Use a substitution that will get rid of the square root.

what should i sub? how to determine the substitution for this type of question? can i sub u= surd x ? or u=( 1+ surd x ) ? or u=(( 1+ surd x ) sqrt)

delsoo said:
what should i sub? how to determine the substitution for this type of question? can i sub u= surd x ? or u=( 1+ surd x ) ? or u=(( 1+ surd x ) sqrt)

Why don't you try it and see? Both ##u = \sqrt{x}## and ##u = 1 + \sqrt{x}## work but one gives a quicker and neater answer.

for this type of question, can i use any substituition i like such as u=(1+ surd x )^2 ?

delsoo said:
for this type of question, can i use any substituition i like such as u=(1+ surd x )^2 ?

You can TRY any substitution you like, they won't all help you to integrate. Don't forget when you substitute u=f(x) you also have to find du so you can figure out how to express the dx part in terms of u.

Related to What is a suitable substitution for this integration problem?

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used to solve integrals where the integrand (the function being integrated) is composed of two functions, one inside the other. The substitution method involves replacing the inner function with a new variable, making the integral easier to solve.

2. How do I know when to use integration by substitution?

You can use integration by substitution when the integrand contains a function within another function, such as sin(x2 + 3). This method is also useful when the integrand contains a polynomial function multiplied by a trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic function.

3. What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution is to first identify the inner function and replace it with a new variable. Then, find the derivative of this new variable and substitute it in for the corresponding derivative in the original integral. Finally, solve the resulting integral using basic integration techniques.

4. How do I choose the substitution variable?

When choosing a substitution variable, it is important to choose a variable that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. Typically, the substitution variable should be the inner function itself or a part of it, such as the argument of a trigonometric function or the exponent of an exponential function.

5. Can I always use integration by substitution to solve integrals?

No, integration by substitution is not always the most efficient method for solving integrals. In some cases, it may be easier to use other integration techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions. It is important to have a good understanding of various integration methods and when to use them.