What is Meant by By Symmetry in the Reverse Triangle Inequality Proof?

In summary, the author is trying to prove that the inequality is still true if you replace x and y with z.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

I'm reading the proof for the reverse triangle inequality, but I don't understand what is meant by "by symmetry"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(X,d) is a metric space
prove:
|d(x,y) - d(x,z)| <= d(z,y)

The triangle inequality
d(x,y) <= d(x,z) + d(z,y)
d(x,y) - d(x,z) <= d(z,y)

By symmetry
d(x,z) - d(x,y) <= d(y,z) = d(z,y)

So:

---------------------------------------------
How did they get the "by symmetry d(x,z) - d(x,y) <= d(y,z) = d(z,y)" part?
Isn't symmetry just that d(x,y) = d(y,x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the symmetry reference is due to the fact that for a metric space [itex]d(x,y) = d(y,x) [/itex].

Yes, but how does that take you to: "d(x,z) - d(x,y) <= d(y,z) = d(z,y)"?

Hi MaxManus! :smile:

By symmetry is a standard mathematical phrase and has nothing to do with symmetry here. It just means that the property is analogous to something you have done before.

MaxManus said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading the proof for the reverse triangle inequality, but I don't understand what is meant by "by symmetry"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(X,d) is a metric space
prove:

The triangle inequality
d(x,y) <= d(x,z) + d(z,y)
d(x,y) - d(x,z) <= d(z,y)

By symmetry
d(x,z) - d(x,y) <= d(y,z) = d(z,y)

Here, they mean d(x,z)<=d(x,y)+d(y,z), thus d(x,z)-d(x,y)<= d(y,z). This is quite the same thing as you done before...

Thanks!
angst18 I tried to solve your problem, but it was over my level.

Thanks, it seems I'm doomed :/

1. What is the "Reverse Triangle Inequality"?

The "Reverse Triangle Inequality" is a mathematical inequality that states that the absolute value of the difference between two sides of a triangle is always greater than or equal to the absolute value of the difference between those two sides and the third side.

2. How is the "Reverse Triangle Inequality" different from the regular Triangle Inequality?

The regular Triangle Inequality states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side, while the Reverse Triangle Inequality states that the difference between any two sides must be less than or equal to the difference between those two sides and the third side.

3. Why is the "Reverse Triangle Inequality" important?

The "Reverse Triangle Inequality" is important because it is a fundamental property of triangles and can be used to prove other mathematical theorems and inequalities. It is also used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as geometry, optimization, and probability.

4. Can the "Reverse Triangle Inequality" be applied to any type of triangle?

Yes, the "Reverse Triangle Inequality" can be applied to any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. It is a universal property that holds true for all triangles.

5. How is the "Reverse Triangle Inequality" related to the absolute value function?

The "Reverse Triangle Inequality" is related to the absolute value function because it uses the absolute value to compare the differences between the sides of a triangle. The absolute value function is essential to the inequality as it ensures that the comparisons are always positive.