What is special about EEG electrodes?

• Medical
  • Thread starter royzizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrodes
In summary: Nothing special about EEG electrodes, just that they are more commonly used than EKG electrodes. In summary, Dave has been hospitalized a lot this year and is looking forward to having open heart surgery soon. He says that the reason he has EEG electrodes around his home is because he has been in hospital so much. He thinks EKG electrodes are just as good and that he should research EEGs more before building one.
royzizzle
I ordered some EEG electrodes online and I am planning on building a EEG myself to do lots of ideas i have

in the meantime before the electrodes arrive, i want something to substitute for eeg electrodes. I was wondering about some substitutes and what exactly is special about eeg electrodes.

Biology news on Phys.org
nothing special from what I can see of all the ones I have lying around here
will qualify that by saing the most special part may well be the conductive sticky gel on their surface to allow them to stick to the skin.
Would be interesting to know more about its properties

Dave

davenn said:
nothing special from what I can see of all the ones I have lying around here
Why do you have EEG electrodes lying around your home?

zoobyshoe said:
Why do you have EEG electrodes lying around your home?

hahaha because I have been in hospital so, so many times this year, and it hasnt finished yet :(
got open heart surgery to look forward to NOT !

Dave

davenn said:
hahaha because I have been in hospital so, so many times this year, and it hasnt finished yet :(
got open heart surgery to look forward to NOT !

Dave

Sorry to hear that.

I think you probably have EKG electrodes then. Not EEG electrodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocardiography

haha yes you are correct... had to google the difference ... we learn something new every day :)

EEG for brain activity ... or lack of ... not my current problem, tho my wife may debate that sometimes ;)

my heart hassles was caused by a tropical infection in the chest that gave me acute pneumonia and went on to damage tissues in and around the heart

Last edited:
I was looking for the portable EEG monitors like the equivalent for ECG a while ago. A portable one could be a very lucrative product, but it's efficacy may not be good

You could theoretically use any conductive surface, as the amplifier inside the EEG will transform the waveform into something recognizable by us. However, if you have to ask us, I think you should read up a little bit more on EEG's before putting the time and money into building one.

1. What is an EEG electrode?

An EEG electrode is a small, metal disc that is placed on the scalp to measure electrical activity in the brain. It is connected to a machine called an EEG (electroencephalogram) that records and analyzes the brain's electrical signals.

2. How does an EEG electrode work?

EEG electrodes work by detecting and amplifying the tiny electrical signals that are produced by the brain's neurons. These signals are then transmitted to the EEG machine, which records and displays them as brain waves.

3. What makes EEG electrodes special compared to other types of electrodes?

EEG electrodes are specifically designed to record the electrical activity of the brain, which is much weaker than other electrical signals in the body. They are also designed to minimize interference from other sources, such as muscle movement or environmental noise.

4. Are there different types of EEG electrodes?

Yes, there are different types of EEG electrodes, including wet and dry electrodes. Wet electrodes use a conductive gel to improve the contact between the electrode and the scalp, while dry electrodes use a special coating or material to achieve the same effect. There are also different sizes and shapes of electrodes for different purposes.

5. How are EEG electrodes placed on the scalp?

EEG electrodes are placed on specific locations on the scalp based on the International 10-20 system, which divides the scalp into different regions and uses standardized measurements to determine the placement of the electrodes. The placement of electrodes can vary depending on the purpose of the EEG recording.