What is the best physics text book to refer to these content

In summary, for a basic understanding of physics, books such as "Fundamentals of Physics" by Resnick Halliday, "Concepts of Physics" volumes 1 and 2 by H. C. Verma, and the lectures by Prof. Ramamurti Shankar are recommended resources. Additionally, online resources such as Hyperphysics and the MIT online videos can also be helpful.
nineteen
Alright, I am looking for a good physics textbooks that cover all or most of these contents given below:
  • Measurement
  • Mechanics
  • Oscillations and Waves
  • Thermal Physics
  • Gravitational Field
  • Electrostatic field
  • Magnetic Field
  • Current Electricity
  • Electronics
  • Mechanical Properties of Matter
  • Matter and Radiation
Please help me find good books. If you in case miss out some contents when mentioning books, please mention some other books that cover the contents you missed out when mentioning the the other books. Mention the books name and the contents it covers. I would really appreciate it if you all help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes nineteen
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

From your New Member Introduction post and your Profile, it's hard to know what level you are right now in your studies. Are you in high school, undergraduate university, or post-high school and self studying?

Have you found online resources like Hyperphysics and the MIT online videos?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Thank you for the links berkman! By the way I am looking for basic physics books. I mean I just started the course of Advanced Level Physics in Sri Lanka, therefore I am looking for books to know this subject. I am no physics expert by the way, but I want to be. In order to do that, I want to know this wondrous subject. The above stated contents are from our advanced level physics course's syllabus, I would really appreciate if you recommend some books that go with the above stated contents. I am a secondary school student in Sri Lanka. It would be great if you recommend some eBooks too, Thank you!

Last edited:
nineteen said:
Thank you for the links berkman! By the way I am looking for basic physics books. I mean I just started the course of Advanced Level Physics in Sri Lanka, therefore I am looking for books to know this subject. I am no physics expert by the way, but I want to be. In order to do that, I want to know this wondrous subject. The above stated contents are from our advanced level physics course's syllabus, I would really appreciate if you recommend some books that go with the above stated contents. I am a secondary school student in Sri Lanka. It would be great if you recommend some eBooks too, Thank you!
For basics, Resnick Halliday covers most of those topics.

You may also look up some lectures courses. Prof. Ramamurti Shankar has two courses: Fundamentals of Physics I and Fundamentals of Physics II. Most of the basic topics are covered in these lectures.

Another good option is to go to the media gallery in PF and search for videos under the required category.

Likes nineteen
Wrichik Basu said:
For basics, Resnick Halliday covers most of those topics.

You may also look up some lectures courses. Prof. Ramamurti Shankar has two courses: Fundamentals of Physics I and Fundamentals of Physics II. Most of the basic topics are covered in these lectures.

Another good option is to go to the media gallery in PF and search for videos under the required category.

Thank you Wrichik Basu! I am so grateful to you. By the way I have acquired a copy of Fundamentals of physics by Resnick Halliday, don't you know of anymore resources?

Last edited:
nineteen said:
Thank you Wrichik Basu! I am so grateful to you. By the way I have acquired a copy of Fundamentals of physics by Resnick Halliday, don't you know of anymore resources?
Other than the book, my greatest resources are those videos. I have myself learned from them and they are just excellent.

Prof. Shankar has also published books on the two lecture courses (they have the same name as the courses). But I would advise one to read the books after attaining the lectures. The books are meant to work as supplementary material.

Other than that, you can use Prof. H. C. Verma's Concepts of Physics volumes 1 and 2. They are meant for basic levels, and have good number of exercises after each chapter.

Wrichik Basu said:
Other than the book, my greatest resources are those videos. I have myself learned from them and they are just excellent.

Prof. Shankar has also published books on the two lecture courses (they have the same name as the courses). But I would advise one to read the books after attaining the lectures. The books are meant to work as supplementary material.

Other than that, you can use Prof. H. C. Verma's Concepts of Physics volumes 1 and 2. They are meant for basic levels, and have good number of exercises after each chapter.
Thank you so much Wrichik Basu! I appreciate your help very much. Those lecture videos are dope! Thank you again!

I'm not sure if these are out of your price range. But look at Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

There are pdfs floating around. I believe the first edition is out of copyright.

These are the best freshman level textbooks, besides books aimed towards a more "bright" population, such as, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Purcell, Morin.

Likes nineteen
MidgetDwarf said:
I'm not sure if these are out of your price range. But look at Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

There are pdfs floating around. I believe the first edition is out of copyright.

These are the best freshman level textbooks, besides books aimed towards a more "bright" population, such as, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Purcell, Morin.

Thank you, really helps mate! :smile:

1. What are the important factors to consider when choosing a physics textbook?

The most important factors to consider are the level of difficulty, the author's experience and credibility, the organization and layout of the content, and the availability of supplementary materials such as practice problems and online resources.

2. Is it better to choose a single comprehensive textbook or multiple specialized textbooks?

It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the specific topics you are studying. Some students prefer a single comprehensive textbook for a more cohesive understanding, while others prefer multiple specialized textbooks for a deeper dive into specific areas of interest.

3. How can I determine if a textbook is up-to-date and relevant?

Check the publication date and look for any recent revisions or updates. Additionally, research the author's background and experience in the field to ensure they are knowledgeable and up-to-date on current research and developments.

4. Are there any online resources or reviews that can help me choose a physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and reviews from other students and educators that can provide valuable insights into different textbooks. Some popular review sites include Goodreads, Amazon, and textbook comparison websites.

5. Can I use an older edition of a textbook instead of the most recent version?

In most cases, yes, you can use an older edition of a textbook. However, make sure to check with your instructor first to ensure that the content and assignments will align with the current edition. Also, be aware that there may be some differences in formatting and organization between older and newer editions.