What is the Damping Constant for a Hard Boiled Egg on a Spring?

In summary, the problem involves a 45.0-g hard boiled egg moving on the end of a spring with a force constant k = 2.50 N/m. A damping force Fx = -bvx acts on the egg, and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.300 m in 4.0 s. The magnitude of the damping constant b needs to be calculated using the equation for a damped oscillator.
jghlee

Homework Statement

A 45.0-g hard boiled egg moves on the end of a spring with a force constant k = 2.50 N/m. Its initial displacement is 0.500 m. A damping force Fx = -bvx acts on the egg, and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.300 m in 4.0 s. Calculate the magnitude of the damping constant b.

Homework Equations

(1/2)m(v^2) + (1/2)k(x^2) - bv = (1/2)m(A^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I thought you could solve this question by using the above equation. But I'm finding some difficulty in finding the correct value for v (from bv). Also I'm not sure on how to incorporate the fact that the amplitudes change in 4 seconds into this equation. Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is wrong. Since bv is a force, no way can it be added or subtracted from these other terms which are energies.

Usually a problem like this is solved by looking in your textbook for the equation of a damped oscillator.

Redbelly98 said:
That equation is wrong. Since bv is a force, no way can it be added or subtracted from these other terms which are energies.

Usually a problem like this is solved by looking in your textbook for the equation of a damped oscillator.

I'm still having trouble doing this problem. I don't seem to find any equation where I can incorporate the different values given in the question.

Can anybody help me?

What is a damped oscillation problem?

A damped oscillation problem refers to a physical or mathematical system that exhibits an oscillatory behavior that decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. This damping force causes the oscillations to decrease in amplitude until the system reaches equilibrium.

What are some examples of damped oscillations?

Some examples of damped oscillations include the motion of a pendulum with air resistance, the vibrations of a guitar string with a dampening device, and the motion of a mass attached to a spring with a viscous fluid surrounding it.

How is damping factor related to damped oscillations?

The damping factor is a measure of how quickly the amplitude of a damped oscillation decreases over time. It is directly related to the strength of the damping force in the system. A higher damping factor means the oscillations will decrease more quickly, while a lower damping factor means the oscillations will persist for a longer period of time.

How can damped oscillations be modeled mathematically?

Damped oscillations can be modeled using differential equations, specifically the second-order differential equation known as the damped harmonic oscillator equation. This equation takes into account the damping force, the mass of the object, and the stiffness of the system.

What are some real-world applications of damped oscillations?

Damped oscillations have various real-world applications, including shock absorbers in vehicles, seismometers for earthquake detection, and acoustic dampers in buildings to reduce noise. They are also used in electrical circuits to filter out unwanted frequencies and in musical instruments to produce specific tones.