What is the estimated width of stearic acid molecules in water?

In summary, the width of a molecule can vary between 1 to 10 nanometers and is estimated using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, and AFM. It is important to estimate the width of molecules to understand their properties and interactions. The width of a molecule can change depending on its state and can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical bonds.
physicsss
Hi, can anyone tell me how to estimate width of one stearic acid when it is in water.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\-COOH <- i want the width going up and down.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'd guess it's not likely to be more than 3 or 4A wide. What kind of accuracy are you looking for ?

I'm working on a lab that uses the amount stearic acid that covers an area of water to determine the avogadro's number. So far I've only gotten that are 10^24 instead of 10^23...I think the key is the estimate of the width of the COOH that touches the water.

Related to What is the estimated width of stearic acid molecules in water?

What is the width of a molecule?

The width of a molecule can vary depending on the type of molecule and its structure. However, on average, most molecules have a width of about 1 to 10 nanometers.

How is the width of a molecule estimated?

The width of a molecule is estimated using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and atomic force microscopy (AFM). These techniques allow scientists to visualize the structure and dimensions of molecules.

Why is it important to estimate the width of molecules?

Estimating the width of molecules is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of different substances. It also allows us to predict how molecules will interact with each other and with their environment.

Can the width of a molecule change?

Yes, the width of a molecule can change depending on its state. For example, a molecule can change its width when it undergoes a phase change, such as from a solid to a liquid. It can also change when it interacts with other molecules or when energy is applied to it.

What factors can affect the width of a molecule?

The width of a molecule can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules. It can also be affected by the chemical bonds and forces within the molecule itself.